tomvk77

HCP
Local club/country
GC de Koepel, netherlands
Irons
Mizuno JPX 921 Forged KBS Tour Stiff 4-pw
Driver
Callaway Rogue ST Max LS 10.5 set to 9.5
Yep I did it. I bought the cheating club. From now on there is a Callaway Apex UW in my bag. I have it in 21 degrees and basically that is my 225 yard club, like a 3i distance. The thing I like about it is that it has a more wood bias compared to a hybrid. So the lie angle is a bit more flat and that helps me to get away from the hard lefts. so easy to hit that thing with great ball speed and high flight

DennisMiller

HCP
Old Age
Local club/country
Public Courses
Irons
Shiny silver things
Driver
Shiny blue thing
If you have followed this thread for long, you might recall I have tried pretty much every game improvement iron Mizuno makes, up through the 921 Hot Metal.

I've regressed, going back to the 900 Hot Metal. No offense little running bird, but to me, the 900 feels better than some of the newer irons. Maybe I'm crazy, but then, it wouldn't be the first time I was accused of that.

In my bag is currently the 6-GW, an old 56 degree MP series SW. I have a 54/14 coming that actually has a senior flex graphite shaft. Then there's two 850 woods, the driver and 5 wood. I have a JPX E3 3 wood coming from Japan and it should arrive next week. I'm looking at adding a 5 hybrid, preferably a Fli Hi like I had many years ago.

An aside to all that, for a lot of years now, I've played a Titleist, but recently, I tried the Bridgestone e12 ball and I really like it. If Mizuno made an optic yellow ball, I'd try it, but I just can't see or find a white ball so easily anymore.

All this fits, somehow, in a little Mizuno BR-D3 stand bag.

BTW - The pole with a glove on top is a great stretching device. It's an extendable pole you unscrew and adjust to your height, then follow the stretching sequence in the photo instructions down the side of it. It's a great gadget.
IMG_4056.JPG

Last edited:

DennisMiller

HCP
Old Age
Local club/country
Public Courses
Irons
Shiny silver things
Driver
Shiny blue thing
Knowing I like Mizuno equipment, I was offered some JPX850 Forged irons with senior flex at a good price. I bought them and they are supposed to arrive today.

I'll do my usual mods, lengthening them and backweighting them, then use them for a while. I'll be interested to see whether I can still feel much difference between them and my 900 series Hot Metals.

(edit)

It's now Saturday and I've hit them into my net a few times. Because of the Jewish holidays, I won't be able to play until either late next week or early the week before.

Bottom line, they feel very good. It's a slightly different feel from my Hot Metals, not as dramatic as I might have expected. Both feel good.

Last edited:

DennisMiller

HCP
Old Age
Local club/country
Public Courses
Irons
Shiny silver things
Driver
Shiny blue thing
I just sold the Hot Metal irons. I'm going with the JPX850 Forged. I'm not sure I'm any better with one set over the other, but the feel is just different enough that the enjoyment of the feel made up my mind.

DennisMiller

HCP
Old Age
Local club/country
Public Courses
Irons
Shiny silver things
Driver
Shiny blue thing
I have a decision to make. I have a set of MP-H5 irons with regular flex graphite shafts. (I've been using senior flex for about 2 years now) I'm going to play with them tomorrow and see how much difference I see in my game, distance wise, feel, whatever crosses my mind. I loved the MP-H5 irons and have a lot of fond memories how well I played with them. I wonder if it would be worth pulling the shafts and putting senior flex in them?

PaulBoy

HCP
WHS 6.4
Local club/country
Army GC
Irons
Mizuno JPX919 Tour (4-PW) Modus3 105s
Driver
Mizuno ST200G Graphite Design Tour AD VR-50s
Hi Dennis ... Much as I used to tell my wife that "size isn't important", likewise in golf, "length isn't everything" - Your regular graphite shafts will probably lose you a few yards over senior shafts, but you should get better dispersion with the slightly stiffer flex? - Even in my 60's I have given up searching for length & am happy to concede a few yards for straighter shots, especially with the shorter irons - As to swapping the shafts, if you can do this yourself, what have you to lose?
Good luck ... Paul

Top Bottom