HCP
Old Age
Local club/country
Killian Greens Golf Club
Irons
MX-1000
Driver
ST-180
I still have my MP53's they come out quite often and feel so good and 53 was the year I was born so we have this attraction for life.
If I went back to my birth year for golf equipment, 1949, I'd be limited to persimmon woods and nothing but blade irons, all with steel shafts with flexes that generally didn't approximate the senior flex I use now. Leather wrap grips, no slip on, only forged heads back then, brands like MacGregor, (my favorite), Hillerich & Bradsby, Wilson, Spaulding, Dunlap, Walter Hagen and Hogan...

To digress a bit, I grew up in Louisville, Kentucky, where the H&B Citation clubs absolutely ruled the market. All the same, I loved MacGregors, made iin Cincinnati. One friend played Haig Ultras, which I still have a set of as a display in my man cave, and another friend played the old Dunlaps with the lofts on the soles.

Here's a pic of the old Haigs... Fond memories.
IMG_4724.JPG

DennisMiller

HCP
Old Age
Local club/country
Killian Greens Golf Club
Irons
MX-1000
Driver
ST-180
The MX1000 irons arrived yesterday. The heads and shafts are in very good condition. The one thing that wasn't mentioned was, the 4 iron has a different shaft than the rest of the set. It's still a senior flex, and not being in the middle of the set, I'm perfectly OK with that. They appear to be about 1/2" longer, (5 iron is 38.5"), so i'm going to extend them only 1/2" and not backweight them at all.

If the extensions arrive early enough today, I should be able to do that work and put on grips, then play with them tomorrow.

DennisMiller

HCP
Old Age
Local club/country
Killian Greens Golf Club
Irons
MX-1000
Driver
ST-180
This is more a matter of "What's Going To Be In The Bag"...

The extension work on the MX1000 irons is complete and they are sitting my my LW-C bag. (4 though PW)

The T20 blue ion gap wedge is here and about to be extended 1/2" to match the pitching wedge. I'm a bit concerned about this club, because it's very head heavy.

The MP-R black nickle sand wedge should arrive today.

Over the years, I kept my old MP-600 driver, a club I dearly loved and it was my first Mizuno driver. It's regular flex, not senior flex like I use now, but I'll see how it performs and I can always change the shaft if i feel like I really need to.

For all of $29.95, I bought an old F15 3 wood and it should arrive in a couple days. I haven't bought a hybrid, at least not yet.

For everything in the bag, once it's all here, this might be the least expensive set of clubs I've ever put together, but the feel is so good, maybe they are worth so much more to me. Not counting the bag or the putter, I have under $400 invested in this set.

It's going to be interesting to see how it compares to my Cobra One Length set or my Cleveland all hybrid iron set.

Robbo016

HCP
Local club/country
Saunton / Puckrup Hall GC
Irons
MP64's 3-5 MP5 6-Pw +0.5" 2 degs up Tour Modus 105 S Scotty SM9Wedges 50, 54 & 60 Scotty putter 3-3-3-5
Driver
Taylormade Stealth 2+ Fujikura Ventus S-75
Hoping to have some new bats in the bag shortly - testing out the new 24 series against my MP5 and MP64s to see what improvement (if any) is evident. I’m sure the tech has improved since 2010 (ish) when I got my 64’s and 2015 when I get the MP5’s… wait and see…

DennisMiller

HCP
Old Age
Local club/country
Killian Greens Golf Club
Irons
MX-1000
Driver
ST-180
I see a lot of ads for Takomo on Facebook and Instagram. There's another new brand called Argolf and a third brand whose name I can't remember. All look pretty much like players clubs. I've also seen recent ads for women's clubs specially endorsed by the LPGA.

Last edited:

PaulBoy

HCP
WHS 7.0
Local club/country
Army GC Hampshire
Irons
Mizuno MP-20 MMC (4-AW) Modus3 105s
Driver
TM Stealth II MRC Tensei Orange 50s
Never heard of them "We are based in Finland. The club components are made in Taiwan, Japan and China. We complete the final assembly in China and ship from Hong Kong. ". The heads only deal seems good.
I couldn't find an option for "heads only" LOS? - Can you tell me where this is please?
PB ;)

Varry Hardon

HCP
Local club/country
Dukinfield
Irons
H5 long irons, Takomo 101T, S23 wedges
Driver
ST-G
Hi Varry ... Nice looking head - Could you elaborate on what irons you bought & the procedure for getting them to the UK?
Cheers ... PB ;)
101t - apparently head size based on TM P770. The 101 (without the T) are based on the larger P790.

Shafts are KBS Tour, 120g, stiff.

I actually purchased them from the Edinburgh/Warrington GolfClubs4Cash.
Used, but in excellent condition, with 30 days return policy if I didn't like them.

Tried them on the course and instantly loved them.

Was considering the new 245 irons due Jan 2024. However the PW at 43 degrees is too strong. Probably flies as far as my MP-4 PW @ 46 degrees.
Just creates too much gapping to my 50/54/58 setup.

The Takomo 101t PW is 46 degrees and that was a major reason for buying them.

DennisMiller

HCP
Old Age
Local club/country
Killian Greens Golf Club
Irons
MX-1000
Driver
ST-180
[/QUOTE]Was considering the new 245 irons due Jan 2024. However the PW at 43 degrees is too strong. Probably flies as far as my MP-4 PW @ 46 degrees. Just creates too much gapping to my 50/54/58 setup.

The Takomo 101t PW is 46 degrees and that was a major reason for buying them.[/QUOTE]

What's the general feeling out these newer sets that have very strong lofts? I liked my PRGR RS Red irons at first, but I like to change back and forth and enjoy playing my different sets and the ridiculously strong lofts threw me off. The PW was only 41*, so i got rid of them in favor of the MX1000 set i recently put together.

Do you prefer a stronger loft so you can keep hitting the same number club whatever distance you used to, or do you simply get used to hitting 1 more club, or more? I've chosen the latter, but I wonder if I won't eventually change my mind.

LOS

Local club/country
England
Do you prefer a stronger loft so you can keep hitting the same number club whatever distance you used to, or do you simply get used to hitting 1 more club, or more? I've chosen the latter, but I wonder if I won't eventually change my mind.
In an other thread I stated that at my age I would no loner play an iron with a loft lower than 27*. I have been using at least one hybrid for the last 15 years and now have 3 adjustable hybrids which I use. For years people have said that the short irons are the scoring clubs so why mix up your balance at that end by using stronger lofted ones?

PaulBoy

HCP
WHS 7.0
Local club/country
Army GC Hampshire
Irons
Driver
101t - apparently head size based on TM P770. The 101 (without the T) are based on the larger P790.

Shafts are KBS Tour, 120g, stiff.

I actually purchased them from the Edinburgh/Warrington GolfClubs4Cash.
Used, but in excellent condition, with 30 days return policy if I didn't like them.

Tried them on the course and instantly loved them.

Was considering the new 245 irons due Jan 2024. However the PW at 43 degrees is too strong. Probably flies as far as my MP-4 PW @ 46 degrees.
Just creates too much gapping to my 50/54/58 setup.

The Takomo 101t PW is 46 degrees and that was a major reason for buying them.
Thanks Varry - Bought plenty of gear from GC4C (top company to deal with) - From what I've read the 101T is similar hollow head design as the P770? - Are they forged though as far as you know? - I read they were "431 steel" but no mention if forged? - If not forged you would need the heads to have the correct lie & would not be adjustable after the fact?

Thank you LOS for the link to the heads - I was disappointed at the lack of savings by buying heads only & that the heads are .370 (less choice for used shafts?)

LOS

Local club/country
England
- Are they forged though as far as you know? - I read they were "431 steel" but no mention if forged? - If not forged you would need the heads to have the correct lie & would not be adjustable after the fact?
The 201's are the forged head.
https://takomogolf.com/products/iron-201?variant=45253934580022
1706014307099.png

1706014468581.png
The .370 didn't bother me as I use graphite shafts.

There is also a 301CB and 301MB
https://takomogolf.com/collections/all/products/iron-301-cb?variant=45253932351798
https://takomogolf.com/collections/all/products/iron-301-mb?variant=45253932908854

DennisMiller

HCP
Old Age
Local club/country
Killian Greens Golf Club
Irons
MX-1000
Driver
ST-180
The company whose name I couldn't remember is Caley Golf... Here's the link

All these unknown brands look beautiful, but personally, I don't take them too seriously. For whatever the reason is, the big name brands don't even come to Miami to set up the tents and computerized equipment to show off their clubs. At least I can go to Planet Golf for a fitting of a big brand. I doubt these small brands would ever come here, even less chance of it. I'd definitely need to hit the irons a lot to be convinced they are game improvement. I don't recognize it in the design and where my old aged game is now, the super game improvement design area is where I belong.

Varry Hardon

HCP
Local club/country
Dukinfield
Irons
Driver
ST-G
Thanks Varry - Bought plenty of gear from GC4C (top company to deal with) - From what I've read the 101T is similar hollow head design as the P770? - Are they forged though as far as you know? - I read they were "431 steel" but no mention if forged? - If not forged you would need the heads to have the correct lie & would not be adjustable after the fact?

Thank you LOS for the link to the heads - I was disappointed at the lack of savings by buying heads only & that the heads are .370 (less choice for used shafts?)
The 101 & 101t are not forged. Those are the 201 and 301.

I wanted hollow clubs.

They are .370 so you can use parallel taper shafts plus also graphite shafts.

If I put .355 shafts in the heads I would use shims.

Yes, apparently very similar to the P770, but I've never tried that iron.

PaulBoy

HCP
WHS 7.0
Local club/country
Army GC Hampshire
Irons
Driver
Thank you LOS - Makes sense now! - Much prefer the "look" of the 101 / 101T
I received an interesting reply from Takomo about adjusting lofts & lies on the 101T:
"We offer lie angle adjustment through custom orders. Unfortunately, at the moment, we don't offer loft angle adjustments. However, it is possible to adjust the loft angle locally, we don't recommend bending the loft angle by more than 3° locally. Please note that the warranty expires once the clubs have gone through local adjustment."
I might go down the same route Varry did & seek out a used set already in the UK? - Although their prices seem to be excellent for the product they sell, adding duty etc takes the edge off that (imho)
Cheers ... PB

PaulBoy

HCP
WHS 7.0
Local club/country
Army GC Hampshire
Irons
Driver
The 101 & 101t are not forged. Those are the 201 and 301.

I wanted hollow clubs.

They are .370 so you can use parallel taper shafts plus also graphite shafts.

If I put .355 shafts in the heads I would use shims.

Yes, apparently very similar to the P770, but I've never tried that iron.
Cheers Varry - See my reply above - I have used the P770 irons & rate them very highly - Look like blades, but are much easier to hit (that was my experience at least?)
PB

Varry Hardon

HCP
Local club/country
Dukinfield
Irons
Driver
ST-G
Cheers Varry - See my reply above - I have used the P770 irons & rate them very highly - Look like blades, but are much easier to hit (that was my experience at least?)
PB
I've gone from MP-4 blades to the 101t.

The heads are not much bigger.

Was concerned with the offset on the PW - it looked like it had too much offset. I've gotten used to it in no time.

Understand the S Taper is your preferred shaft. You won't find any Takomos with that shaft unless somebody built them. They'll be KBS Tour shafts.

Some 101t heads came up on eBay a few days ago.

Top Bottom