HCP
Local club/country
Dukinfield
Irons
H5 long irons, Takomo 101T, S23 wedges
Driver
ST-G
DennisMiller said:
Needless to say, it's a holiday weekend, so I can't get to my mechanic until Tuesday. Also, my wife is out of the country and her car is parked at the airport. Can you say, "Murphy's Law?"
You get these students (and lefties) going on marches protesting about some new law.

But you never see them protesting about Murphy's Law. Or Sod's Law as we call it over here.

DennisMiller

HCP
Old Age
Local club/country
Killian Greens Golf Club
Irons
MX-1000
Driver
ST-180
While I was in Air Force ROTC during college, I actually met Colonel Edward Murphy, USAF, (Ret)

He was one of the most humorous inspirational speakers I ever had the pleasure to listen to.

Long story short, Colonel Murphy was in charge of centrifuges, doing acceleration and deceleration measurements. Another Colonel, Dr. John Stapp was his counterpart with rocket sled tests. 

One day the test gauges on a sled reflected zero feedback and they discovered it had been wired backwards. Murphy commented about one of the engineers, "If a mistake can be made, he'll make it." That evolved into Murphy's Law as we know it now.

There's about a 100 page book with all sorts of if/then anecdotes... ie: The side of bread with the jelly on it will drop face down an increasing % of times that is directly proportional to the value of the carpet.

GraemeJones

HCP
CONGU 3.9
Local club/country
http://www.padeswoodgolfclub.com
Irons
JPX 900 TOUR 5-PW, PX 5.5 shafts Standard length 2 degrees upright Titleist SM6 wedges 52,58 degree TaylorMade Ghost Spider S Putter
Driver
Mizuno JPX 900 Driver JPX 825 3Wood MP650 hybrid 22* FLI HI 18* 24*
The new toys have landed. I will be gaming them tomorrow 

Jonesy

Attachments

GraemeJones

HCP
CONGU 3.9
Local club/country
http://www.padeswoodgolfclub.com
Irons
JPX 900 TOUR 5-PW, PX 5.5 shafts Standard length 2 degrees upright Titleist SM6 wedges 52,58 degree TaylorMade Ghost Spider S Putter
Driver
Mizuno JPX 900 Driver JPX 825 3Wood MP650 hybrid 22* FLI HI 18* 24*
Bonobobananas said:
How'd it go Jonesy?
Very very nice until I reached the greens big cores then heavily sanded so lottery putting the new toys felt awesome shot of the day was on 18 a 180yrd par 3 up the hill stuck my 6 iron to 3 feet and yes I sunk the putt only 30 points but that was mainly down to the greens being crap 

Jonesy 

PaulBoy

HCP
WHS 7.0
Local club/country
Army GC Hampshire
Irons
Mizuno MP-20 MMC (4-AW) Modus3 105s
Driver
TM Stealth II MRC Tensei Orange 50s
Lovely set of bats Jonesy! - Shame the tining messed up your score but putting is the least fun part anyway ... Paul

Halebopp

HCP
Local club/country
Lakeside Golf Vammala, Finland
Irons
MP-H5/53/4
Driver
MP-650/ST180
For some reason there's a smile on my face when I look at this setup. It's a shame I'm not enough of a player to pull it off though. :D Next round it'll be Driver, 5 wood, 2-PW, 52, 58 and putter.

csitler

Local club/country
United States
Irons
Mizuno MP25 4-PW, MP H5 2 iron
New to the Mizuno family:

Driver: Cobra Fly Z+ - Stock X-Stiff shaft
2 iron: Mizuno MP H5 - Dynamic Gold X100
Irons: 4-PW Mizuno MP25 - Dynamic Gold X100
GW: Callaway Mack Daddy 2 Tour Grind
LW: Callaway Mack Daddy 2 C Grind
Putter: Ping Scottsdale TR Craz-e - SuperStroke 3.0
All clubs except putter have Golf Pride MCC Plus 4 Midsize grips.

Attachments

ruley

HCP
Local club/country
Brookwater, Australia
Irons
JPX EZ 3W, JPX EZ 2&4H, 5-6 MP-H5, 7-P MP5, S5 50 54 58. On the bench 2-4 MP-H4, 4-G JPX 825 Pro
Driver
JPX 900, JPX 850 backup
Pick up a 900 driver today after off loading some old stuff I no longer use :)

DennisMiller

HCP
Old Age
Local club/country
Killian Greens Golf Club
Irons
MX-1000
Driver
ST-180
HAIRY ESSEX BLOKE said:
Got my new JPX EZ 3 wood wow......
Amazing, huh? I've always had a love/hate relationship with my 3 wood, mostly because I'll top it off a bare lie. For some reason, I swing the EZ 3 wood better and I rarely top the ball.

At one point, I carried an older model 2 hybrid. It gave me the consistency I was seeking, but I lost distance. The EZ 3 wood gives me the confidence to pull it out and hit it when it's the proper shot for the situation I'm in.

ruley

HCP
Local club/country
Brookwater, Australia
Irons
JPX EZ 3W, JPX EZ 2&4H, 5-6 MP-H5, 7-P MP5, S5 50 54 58. On the bench 2-4 MP-H4, 4-G JPX 825 Pro
Driver
JPX 900, JPX 850 backup
Well I'm the complete fan boy now.... picked up a 305 putter today and have a ez 2H and ez 3W to throw in and kick out my rbz hybrid. that gives me a complete mizuno bag!!

DennisMiller

HCP
Old Age
Local club/country
Killian Greens Golf Club
Irons
MX-1000
Driver
ST-180
ruley said:
Well I'm the complete fan boy now.... picked up a 305 putter today and have a ez 2H and ez 3W to throw in and kick out my rbz hybrid. that gives me a complete mizuno bag!!
So, all the golf stores in Oz can close now that you have found the right way to play... ;-)

DennisMiller

HCP
Old Age
Local club/country
Killian Greens Golf Club
Irons
MX-1000
Driver
ST-180
I went over to Planet Golf this morning for a special sale. They aren't usually open on Sunday otherwise.

I didn't buy anything, but I did get to spend about an hour in their simulator with the intention of finding out whether I hit my Mizuno EZ driver, 3 wood and hybrid better than the Taylormade Aeroburner driver, 3 wood and hybrid.

I don't know the special characteristics of the factory installed shafts in both sets, but data suggests the Mizuno shafts are slightly more flexible. The EZ has flexible settings and weight movements while the Aeroburner is glued together at 10.5*, 15* and 22*.

In the end, it turns out I'm much straighter with the Aeroburner clubs at an average loss of only a 2 yards per club. The thing is, I had set the EZ driver at 9.5*U and the 3 wood at 16*. It was really odd how nothing changed when I went to 10.5*U and 15*, thinking it would make everything equal. Just bizarre...

BTW - I left off the weight in the EZ initially. With it out, I apparently enjoy a tiny bit more clubhead speed, just as I thought from playing it that way. Putting it in cost me an average of 7 yards. I'm apparently somewhat below the curve of being strong enough to use it effectively with the weight in it.

Kgrove

HCP
Local club/country
USA
Irons
MP5 4-PW KBS Tour 90, MPH5 2-iron, Titleist 716 T-MB 3-iron
Driver
JPX-900 w/ 569 shaft
I just picked up a MPH5 2-iron to use as a driving iron. I had them bend it to add 1* loft (now 19* if I recall). I hit about 20-30 shots so far, but bad quality range balls off a wet mat, plus I was wearing flip flops as I didn't have my golf spikes with me. It looks like it will do most of what I intended. I was having trouble curving the ball as much as I'd like, but it damn sure keeps them low. It was an ok test, so I'm sure better balls and footwear, plus some experience and it will be an occasional part of my bag.

I really bought the club with two specific holes in mind, plus for the random windy day. I'm not sure it will ever be an every day club, though it could be depending on how consistent I hit it.

seanmor

HCP
WHS 18.0
Local club/country
Caprington Golf Club Kilmarnock
Irons
MIZUNO JPX921HM irons 5-PW
Driver
ST-X 230 12.0 deg N.S.Pro 950 GH Neo R flex shaft
From my very first set of Mizuno's I've always opted for the forged version of the irons
starting out with the MP-59's then the JPX EZ forged and now my
present set the JPX 850 Forged, I've never tried the cast versions of
the Mizuno irons as I just couldn't see them being as good as the
forged version and in some way or another would be inferior in feel,

So as chance would have it a month ago I saw a used set of the JPX 850 cast 4-PW irons for
sale they had been custom built to the same specifications as my
present set of forged JPX 850's and fitted with the True Temper XP
105 R300 flex shafts that I'm playing now and were in excellent
condition with hardly any signs of use so I bought them,

I've played four rounds with them so far and I'm very impressed with there performance in
comparison to my forged set, firstly to me they don't really feel any
different to hit I thought they would have a harsh/hard feel to them
due to them being cast but they don't the only thing I noticed is the
strike of the face has a different sound to the forged, head size is
a tad bigger with a slightly thicker top line and a bit more offset
apart from that they are not that different and are still pleasing to
the eye,

An other area where it's working out better than the forged is in its forgiveness on off
centre strikes you get away with not quite getting it out of the
centre and that in its self is a big help as my swing and strike
consistency are not as good as they once were so every little bit
helps, also distance wise they are proving to be better as I'm
getting a bit more yardage from them for example my normal yardage
with my forged 4 iron on a good day is around 170 yards and today I
was getting approx., 185 yards with the cast version not that
distance is my most important consideration as I'd rather be
consistently on the fairway than further into the rough,

Things are looking very positive at the moment for the JPX 850 irons and if they continue to perform as well as
they are at the moment they may be replacing the JPX 850 forged in my bag,

Cheers John

Kgrove

HCP
Local club/country
USA
Irons
MP5 4-PW KBS Tour 90, MPH5 2-iron, Titleist 716 T-MB 3-iron
Driver
JPX-900 w/ 569 shaft
How about a "what's not in the bag"? I bought an MPH5 2-iron a couple weeks ago to use as a driving iron. I think I put about 10 hits on it, then have one funny feeling impact and see the head of my club fly about 50 yards down range. I can't tell from inspection whether I snapped the shaft inside the hosel or wether the epoxy didn't hold. In any case... this 2 iron is not in my bag for awhile. Very frustrating... didn't even get enough swings on it to get an idea whether I like it or not.   

ruley

HCP
Local club/country
Brookwater, Australia
Irons
Driver
JPX 900, JPX 850 backup
Kgrove said:
How about a "what's not in the bag"? I bought an MPH5 2-iron a couple weeks ago to use as a driving iron. I think I put about 10 hits on it, then have one funny feeling impact and see the head of my club fly about 50 yards down range. I can't tell from inspection whether I snapped the shaft inside the hosel or wether the epoxy didn't hold. In any case... this 2 iron is not in my bag for awhile. Very frustrating... didn't even get enough swings on it to get an idea whether I like it or not.   
I can play that one....

Recently dumped my H5 7 iron and put in the MP5 7, just didn't seem to get along with it, every time I pulled a mates MP5 7 iron out I nailed it so.... In thy bag!

Top Bottom