WITB

OhBoy!

Well-Known Member
Joined
Sep 22, 2012
HCP
7.7
Local club/country
Soft. South. Suburbia.
Irons
MP 53 5-PW Phoenix. Titleist SM6 50/54/58 deg.; Ray Cook SR 500
Driver
JPX 900 driver & 3 wood; CLK 19 & 22 deg.
Kgrove said:
How about a "what's not in the bag"? I bought an MPH5 2-iron a couple weeks ago to use as a driving iron. I think I put about 10 hits on it, then have one funny feeling impact and see the head of my club fly about 50 yards down range. I can't tell from inspection whether I snapped the shaft inside the hosel or wether the epoxy didn't hold. In any case... this 2 iron is not in my bag for awhile. Very frustrating... didn't even get enough swings on it to get an idea whether I like it or not.   
Unusual for a Mizuno club to do this. Was it original? Had it been re-shafted?
 

Andrew Carolan

Well-Known Member
Joined
May 16, 2009
HCP
6
Local club/country
Nuremore GC Carrickmacross Ireland
Irons
Mizuno mp h 5 irons 4-pw Wedges: Mizuno S5 52 & 58 Putter odyssey works 7H
Driver
Driver - Taylor made m2 10.5 playing at 9.75 Hybrids Cobra King F7 2 & 3
Just played first full round with new clubs got mp h5 irons,  Nice clubs they have kbs tour c taper lite s flex shafts in them, nice feel from them, also got jpx 850 hybrid in 16 & 22 degree lofts for a steal, really nice solid hybrids. Driver is Taylor made m2 good driver, soild and straight, putter is odyssey white hot pro no 7, to complete my bag im waiting on 2 S5 wedges 52 & 58 degree lofts
 

Bonobobananas

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jan 25, 2013
HCP
8.7
Local club/country
Eaton (Norwich)
Irons
MP18 mb Mod105S
Driver
Mizuno ST180 Tensei White 70 stiff
Andrew Carolan said:
Just played first full round with new clubs got mp h5 irons,  Nice clubs they have kbs tour c taper lite s flex shafts in them, nice feel from them, also got jpx 850 hybrid in 16 & 22 degree lofts for a steal, really nice solid hybrids. Driver is Taylor made m2 good driver, soild and straight, putter is odyssey white hot pro no 7, to complete my bag im waiting on 2 S5 wedges 52 & 58 degree lofts
Good stuff Andrew, that sounds like a cracking set for a decent player which you obviously are from your handicap :).
 

Kgrove

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jul 18, 2015
Location
Phoenix, AZ
HCP
12
Local club/country
USA
Irons
MP5 4-PW KBS Tour 90, MPH5 2-iron, Titleist 716 T-MB 3-iron
Driver
JPX-900 w/ 569 shaft
OhBoy! said:
Kgrove said:
How about a "what's not in the bag"? I bought an MPH5 2-iron a couple weeks ago to use as a driving iron. I think I put about 10 hits on it, then have one funny feeling impact and see the head of my club fly about 50 yards down range. I can't tell from inspection whether I snapped the shaft inside the hosel or wether the epoxy didn't hold. In any case... this 2 iron is not in my bag for awhile. Very frustrating... didn't even get enough swings on it to get an idea whether I like it or not.   
Unusual for a Mizuno club to do this. Was it original? Had it been re-shafted?
It's unusual for any club to do that. I suspect it was an error by the golf shop. I ordered the club 2* flat and 1* weak and they forgot to write that on the order. The shop took the club to their vise in the back and bent it myself and I suspect they somehow damaged the shaft in the process. That said I'm now feeling jinxed as I snapped 2 different jpx900 driver shafts last night while getting fitted. The fitter was perplexed as he said he has never seen that happen before. I've golfed almost 40 years now and those are the first three shafts I've ever broken just hitting a ball (trees over over my knee, yes...).
 

DennisMiller

Well-Known Member
Joined
Mar 25, 2014
Location
Miami, Florida
HCP
Old Age
Local club/country
Public Courses
Irons
JPX-900 Hot Metal
Driver
JPX-900
Kgrove said:
The shop took the club to their vise in the back and bent it myself and I suspect they somehow damaged the shaft in the process.
That raises a question to me...

I asked for a putter to be flattened and I noticed the bending machine held the head with one clamp, but it help the shaft with the other clamp where the bending handle went in.

That seemed like a system that would bend the shaft, not the neck, or in the case of an iron, it would not bend the hosel.

Consider what that would do to a graphite shaft...

If the cheapest bending machine I've ever seen wasn't around $400, I'd buy one myself to work on my clubs.
 

Kgrove

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jul 18, 2015
Location
Phoenix, AZ
HCP
12
Local club/country
USA
Irons
MP5 4-PW KBS Tour 90, MPH5 2-iron, Titleist 716 T-MB 3-iron
Driver
JPX-900 w/ 569 shaft
I watched them with mine. The vise they used had a clamp with a couple adjustments to hold the head in the correct position and had a bar with a specialized clamp on the end that grabbed around the hosel. They were really having to crank hard on the hosel to get the right bend, so I'm guessing all that pressure on the hosel must have damaged the shaft inside causing it to break inside the hosel later. It looked like the same machine / vise I've seen in other golf shops. I've never watched them adjust loft or lie before, so I don't know if the amount of bending and force they were using is normal or excessive. It was not gentle by any means. No problems for me in the end - I brought them the broken club and they ordered a new one from Mizuno bent correctly at the factory this time. 
 

OhBoy!

Well-Known Member
Joined
Sep 22, 2012
HCP
7.7
Local club/country
Soft. South. Suburbia.
Irons
MP 53 5-PW Phoenix. Titleist SM6 50/54/58 deg.; Ray Cook SR 500
Driver
JPX 900 driver & 3 wood; CLK 19 & 22 deg.
Kgrove said:
I watched them with mine. The vise they used had a clamp with a couple adjustments to hold the head in the correct position and had a bar with a specialized clamp on the end that grabbed around the hosel. They were really having to crank hard on the hosel to get the right bend, so I'm guessing all that pressure on the hosel must have damaged the shaft inside causing it to break inside the hosel later. It looked like the same machine / vise I've seen in other golf shops. I've never watched them adjust loft or lie before, so I don't know if the amount of bending and force they were using is normal or excessive. It was not gentle by any means. No problems for me in the end - I brought them the broken club and they ordered a new one from Mizuno bent correctly at the factory this time. 
Always best to get the professionals to do it.
 

DennisMiller

Well-Known Member
Joined
Mar 25, 2014
Location
Miami, Florida
HCP
Old Age
Local club/country
Public Courses
Irons
JPX-900 Hot Metal
Driver
JPX-900
OhBoy! said:
Always best to get the professionals to do it.
Exactly, as I've proven to myself a few times in the past. I'm not sure how many times I have to prove it to myself before I actually lern it though. I simply have way too much courage and way too little common sense when it comes to things like that.
 

Kgrove

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jul 18, 2015
Location
Phoenix, AZ
HCP
12
Local club/country
USA
Irons
MP5 4-PW KBS Tour 90, MPH5 2-iron, Titleist 716 T-MB 3-iron
Driver
JPX-900 w/ 569 shaft
OhBoy! said:
Kgrove said:
I watched them with mine. The vise they used had a clamp with a couple adjustments to hold the head in the correct position and had a bar with a specialized clamp on the end that grabbed around the hosel. They were really having to crank hard on the hosel to get the right bend, so I'm guessing all that pressure on the hosel must have damaged the shaft inside causing it to break inside the hosel later. It looked like the same machine / vise I've seen in other golf shops. I've never watched them adjust loft or lie before, so I don't know if the amount of bending and force they were using is normal or excessive. It was not gentle by any means. No problems for me in the end - I brought them the broken club and they ordered a new one from Mizuno bent correctly at the factory this time. 
Always best to get the professionals to do it.
I thought they were professionals, but the sight of my 2-iron head flying down the driving range is likely proof they weren't.
 

DennisMiller

Well-Known Member
Joined
Mar 25, 2014
Location
Miami, Florida
HCP
Old Age
Local club/country
Public Courses
Irons
JPX-900 Hot Metal
Driver
JPX-900
Trying to get back on topic, I tried a Taylormade M1 driver and didn't particularly like it. I changed it for the M2 and I'm much happier. The M2 is 9.5*, but I adjusted it to a higher loft around 11*. I don't know if it's the technology in the head, the loft, the particular dynamics of the shaft or me actually swinging better, (I don't believe that for a moment), but I'm about 20 yards longer with the M2 than any driver I've tried in quite a while.

Also worth mentioning is, I'm selling my MP-H5 irons and going back to my JPX-825 irons. I have an offer to trade for a set of 2016 JPX-EZ Forged irons, so I'm thinking about that too, but for now, the 825s are back in play.

Lastly, I found the old Axis 19 putter I've wanted and bought it via Ebay UK. I had it sent to Hursty and he's forwarding it to me. I'm REALLY excited about getting this putter. As I told him earlier today, I've never seen a putter that just looks so RIGHT to me.
 

hursty

Well-Known Member
Joined
May 15, 2011
Location
Telford, Shropshire
HCP
9.6
Local club/country
The Shropshire GC
Irons
MMC Fli Hi #3, MP-5 4-PW, MPT-7 50 & 58 wedges
Driver
JPX 900 Driver - 757 S, JPX 900 3W - 661 X, JPX 900 19 deg - Fuji Pro 75S, Odyssey #7CS
Dennis, please tell me that your post was finger trouble.

The putter you've bought and I'm forwarding on is the Axis 19 not 16.
 

seanmor

Well-Known Member
Joined
Sep 6, 2012
Location
Kilmarnock, Scotland.
HCP
19
Local club/country
Caprington Golf Club Kilmarnock
Irons
JPX-900 H M 5-PW KBS Tour C-taper lite R flex
Driver
GT180 KURO-KAGE 50 R flex TiNi Dual-Core
hursty said:
Dennis, please tell me that your post was finger trouble.

The putter you've bought and I'm forwarding on is the Axis 19 not 16.
Hi Hursty,

I think that's the correct putter that he is looking for...!

Dennis had made a comment on one of my posts about the old putter I had restored and bellow is his comment,

"Just because we were talking about this today, I went looking for the Axis 19 model I've wanted. Sure enough, I found one on Euro Ebay, bought it and had it sent to a forum member who will forward it to me.

Heaven only knows how long it will take to get here, but I've wanted this putter for over a year since someone posted a photo in the forum of the one they bought for 5 Pounds. I've never seen one available in the U.S. I'm pretty happy about this. I always seem to putt better with an old fashioned flanged blade. Hopefully this will feel as good as the model 16 I already have."

Hope this helps you :up:

Cheers

John :D
 

DennisMiller

Well-Known Member
Joined
Mar 25, 2014
Location
Miami, Florida
HCP
Old Age
Local club/country
Public Courses
Irons
JPX-900 Hot Metal
Driver
JPX-900
hursty said:
Dennis, please tell me that your post was finger trouble.

The putter you've bought and I'm forwarding on is the Axis 19 not 16.
You are correct. The one I already have is the 16. Dyslexic fingers maybe? I edited my previous post.
 

hursty

Well-Known Member
Joined
May 15, 2011
Location
Telford, Shropshire
HCP
9.6
Local club/country
The Shropshire GC
Irons
MMC Fli Hi #3, MP-5 4-PW, MPT-7 50 & 58 wedges
Driver
JPX 900 Driver - 757 S, JPX 900 3W - 661 X, JPX 900 19 deg - Fuji Pro 75S, Odyssey #7CS
DennisMiller said:
hursty said:
Dennis, please tell me that your post was finger trouble.

The putter you've bought and I'm forwarding on is the Axis 19 not 16.
You are correct. The one I already have is the 16. Dyslexic fingers maybe?
Lol, thank heavens for that.

Was sitting here imaging the look on your face when you opened it!!!
 

OhBoy!

Well-Known Member
Joined
Sep 22, 2012
HCP
7.7
Local club/country
Soft. South. Suburbia.
Irons
MP 53 5-PW Phoenix. Titleist SM6 50/54/58 deg.; Ray Cook SR 500
Driver
JPX 900 driver & 3 wood; CLK 19 & 22 deg.
Back on topic, please.
 

DennisMiller

Well-Known Member
Joined
Mar 25, 2014
Location
Miami, Florida
HCP
Old Age
Local club/country
Public Courses
Irons
JPX-900 Hot Metal
Driver
JPX-900
I think that picture scared him. And that was one of the GOOD ones. ;-)

I've realized I feel better and better about the set I've got now and the changes I've made, specially expectations for less mistakes without a lob wedge. As I mentioned, the thrill of getting this old putter just makes me feel like I've taken a step towards a set I'll look at with a lot more confidence.

I forgot to mention previously, but I was really not happy with some Srixon balls I had. A friend recommended them and I bought a few dozen, then immediately hated them. I couldn't lose them fast enough.

Now, I'm back to using the Titleist NXT Tour in optic yellow and I see and feel a difference I like much better.

Once the putter arrives, I'll take a new picture of everything.
 

Brattz

Well-Known Member
Joined
Nov 6, 2016
Location
Derby, Derbyshire
HCP
5.5 CONGU
Local club/country
Beeston Fields, England www.beestonfields.co.uk
Irons
Mizuno MP-25 4-PW
Driver
Titleist 915 D3 - Diamana S+ Blue 60S
Have you ever had a ball fitting? Changed my game massively. I had always used a ProV1, went for a fitting and found that the Bridgestone B330 and the Z Star XV were much better suited to my swings hand anything else. I Then tested them on a chipping sim and went with the Srixon.
Surprisingly the ProV1 was behind others as well in terms of fitting to my swing, notably the ProV1x, Nike Rzn Black, Callaway Chromesoft.
 
Top Bottom