Staff member
HCP
Local club/country
UK
Irons
JPX919 Hot Metal Pro 4-PW (C Taper Lite stiff), T20 wedges chrome - 50 / 56
Driver
ST-Z driver, ST200x 3wood, ST200x 5 wood
Some inaccurate stuff in the MyGolfSpy piece.  ST180 doesn't replace the EZ.......only in the sense that the EZ is no longer available and the ST180 is.  The EZ irons aren't available either - but not replaced by the MP-18 MMC (same situation).

We spent some time with David Dixon yesterday - an easy start point as he's been playing the JPX900 (no one hounding him on the range every week to switch drivers).

He got all the numerical gains - yards (i won't say how many), mainly from a drop of 300 rpm and 1 degree higher launch. But he really wasn't interested in that - didn't even ask to see the numbers.  He would have dropped 5 yards to take out a miss left from his game - which he did at the 9.5 degree setting.  His JPX900 was set up at 8.5.....and he still has the odd miss left in it.

His favourite Mizuno driver to date was the MP-650 (common theme) - because of it's 'ant-left' trait.  Had nothing to do with looking pretty etc.  Purely the flight.

From yesterdays testing the ST180 looks to have that same anti-left built in (at the lower lofts)....with the low spin / high launch most of the tour guys are after.

Some pics alongside the JPX900 below - just to show this is nothing like an EZ.

Attachments

hursty

HCP
Local club/country
No Fixed Abode
Irons
MP-33 2-PW, MP T-7 52 & 58 wedges
Driver
Cobra Encore ZL F1 Stiff, 913F 3W - Ahina XStiff, Odyssey #7CS
Anti left? That's been the bain of my life for ages. Might try messing with the loft again on my 900 :)

How does the head size compare to the 900? Is it staying the same at 450cc.

MPX

Administrator
Staff member
HCP
Local club/country
UK
Irons
Driver
It's around the 460cc mark again.  Seems to depend who measures as whether its 450 or 460cc.  As long as USGA /R&A approve, we're happy.

DennisMiller

HCP
Old Age
Local club/country
Killian Greens Golf Club
Irons
MX-1000
Driver
ST-180
I don't know what it is about the pictures of this new driver that makes it appeal to me so much. I'm reading the book,(driver), by it's cover.

I have a 900 driver and the 2016 EZ driver. With some recent physical problems, I'm using the EZ driver because it feels lighter to me and has a senior shaft.

Instead of my usual 220-230 yard drive, (provided it's well hit), I'm barely able to knock it out 200 yards right now. For the first time in my life, I'm unhappy with my distance off the tee and a new driver with that kind of assistance would be a welcomed change.  Of course, I'd prefer to get my body fixed first, but at 68, I am seeing a difficulty in hitting greens from farther away due to shorter drives.

Keep telling us more...

MPX

Administrator
Staff member
HCP
Local club/country
UK
Irons
Driver
If i get to a few more player tests - i'll let you know what i see Dennis.  Hopefully seeing a different type of ball striker to David Dixon on Friday.

hursty

HCP
Local club/country
No Fixed Abode
Irons
Driver
MPX said:
If i get to a few more player tests - i'll let you know what i see Dennis.  Hopefully seeing a different type of ball striker to David Dixon on Friday.
What you want is an inconsistent ball striker to see how it holds up for the average player ;)

DennisMiller

HCP
Old Age
Local club/country
Killian Greens Golf Club
Irons
MX-1000
Driver
ST-180
hursty said:
MPX said:
What you want is an inconsistent ball striker to see how it holds up for the average player ;)
Uh... Hursty would be referring to me of course...

HCP
Local club/country
United States
Irons
mp57
Driver
callaway big bertha alpha, aldila rogue
Does the St 180 have a neutral face angle? Or is it closed or open one degree. I do not need any encouragement to hook the ball because when I miss I hit it near the toe. Golfers on the fairway left of the tee keep yelling 12 and 13 letter cuss words at me.

Would a stiffer tip shaft reduce the spin on toe mishits?

Again I hit this club and really liked it. It will take the pepsi challenge with sub zero and M1

MPX

Administrator
Staff member
HCP
Local club/country
UK
Irons
Driver
According to our tour manager - they measure a little open,

MPX

Administrator
Staff member
HCP
Local club/country
UK
Irons
Driver
Here's some test data from the morning with David Dixon.

Can see he was tweaking the JPX900 a little left.  The ST was a lot straighter - even with a little cut spin on it, was flying with less backspin (which you wouldn't expect from that cut).  

In summary - went from a slight pull draw to a slight cut without losing any yards.  For a tour player - that's what they're looking for.  The face of his 900 is actually now a little more lively than it was when new....gets a little more flex with use.

That's just first test - but i found the whole thing quite interesting.  David wasn't expecting or askjng for an extra 30 yards - he left pretty happy with a more predictable flight.

Attachments

hursty

HCP
Local club/country
No Fixed Abode
Irons
Driver
It's interesting how people interpret numbers.

Looking at that picture I see it as that the ST is more consistent on distance but the 900 has better L/R dispersion (approx 14 yds v 30 yds)

MPX

Administrator
Staff member
HCP
Local club/country
UK
Irons
Driver
Hursty - David was a lot happier with fact the ST180 stopped him pulling it.  None of those 'left' shots made him very happy......being well grouped wasn't a lot of use to him.

A little dangerous showing real test data........unless you were there, as you say, it can be interpreted a lot of different ways.

Another way of looking at it - if we had managed to get the 900 on the same left / right flight as the ST180, it would have lost a fair few yards as a consequence.  Straightening it would have increased the spin rate on the 900 - giving the ST180 a bigger win.  That slight pull shot with the 900 distorts the spin rates a little.

hursty

HCP
Local club/country
No Fixed Abode
Irons
Driver
MPX said:
Hursty - David was a lot happier with fact the ST180 stopped him pulling it.  None of those 'left' shots made him very happy......being well grouped wasn't a lot of use to him.

A little dangerous showing real test data........unless you were there, as you say, it can be interpreted a lot of different ways.

Another way of looking at it - if we had managed to get the 900 on the same left / right flight as the ST180, it would have lost a fair few yards as a consequence.  Straightening it would have increased the spin rate on the 900 - giving the ST180 a bigger win.  That slight pull shot with the 900 distorts the spin rates a little.
Does that mean I'm going to have to sell my 900 and get a ST.......

Interesting to see the thought differences between a good player and us hackers though when you say the good grouping wasn't that useful to him compared to the shot shape/flight.

MPX

Administrator
Staff member
HCP
Local club/country
UK
Irons
Driver
David’s also a pretty good driver of the ball.  On a chart that looks like more dispersion than it did to the eye.  They’d all have been comfortably on the fairway.

DennisMiller

HCP
Old Age
Local club/country
Killian Greens Golf Club
Irons
MX-1000
Driver
ST-180
What does that mean, "comfortably in the fairway"?   I don't know that phrase.  Is that a feature, some built in benefit of this new driver?   ;-)

hursty

HCP
Local club/country
No Fixed Abode
Irons
Driver
MPX said:
David’s also a pretty good driver of the ball.  On a chart that looks like more dispersion than it did to the eye.  They’d all have been comfortably on the fairway.
What's a fairway? :)

MPX

Administrator
Staff member
HCP
Local club/country
UK
Irons
Driver
We had a text from David.  He's been out on the course and ended up going up one degree to 10.5.  Sent us a pic of one ball a long way past the other one (from the 9.5 setting) down the fairway.  Don't think we can pass that off as scientific evidence.

hursty

HCP
Local club/country
No Fixed Abode
Irons
Driver
MPX said:
We had a text from David.  He's been out on the course and ended up going up one degree to 10.5.  Sent us a pic of one ball a long way past the other one (from the 9.5 setting) down the fairway.  Don't think we can pass that off as scientific evidence.
Out of interest what shaft is in it?

Is it one of the newer offerings or his own usual one?

MPX

Administrator
Staff member
HCP
Local club/country
UK
Irons
Driver
Was the shaft from his JPX900.  Once we know its a 'switch' for the ST180, we'll probably revisit the shaft and nudge things on again.

MPX

Administrator
Staff member
HCP
Local club/country
UK
Irons
Driver
Correction - David is back in the 9.5 setting (he'd gone back down to 8.5 yesterday).  His JPX900 is in 8.5.

Attachments

Top Bottom