2011 European Tour Blog

Alastair Gibson

HCP
Local club/country
FIFE
Re: 2011 Tour Blog

RobB2 said:
All said and done ,it would be nice to have some 'different' shafts to try when getting fitted.I know you have said before that the shafts you have cover 90% of your customers.Problem is i possibly and more than likely come into the 10% as i have a S/S of 113mph and have not found 1 of the shafts Mizuno offer in the woods, that suits me.Hence my preference for TM and Ping woods.

PS Epic was and still is a great shaft.
Rob you say all of above, however, the shaft you state you have in your driver, the Pro X 6B3 is not infact listed as an option with Ping in your driver. The stated offering from Ping is the Project X graphite series. ie the same series as Mizuno offer as custom.!?

TM offer some custom shafts in their R11 TP but at such a massive up charge ie £400 for a driver that you would be as cheap buying shaft and driver seperate then merging the two before selling the stock.

You can buy a Miz driver and fit almost any shaft and still be competitive for price against the TM offerings although there is no denying the TM offers more options in terms of adjustability.

Alastair Gibson

HCP
Local club/country
FIFE

BigPete said:
So I have a few questions...

- are there left handed options?

Thanks \^^/
Ha cheers Dave that saved me asking then sounding like a leftie moaner.

Think the boat has left on my Miz woods wish now though. My new .... set up in the woods has finally given me exactly what i need.

PS n.k. isn't a swear word it's just that i don't want to shout about them too loudly!!

Deemac

HCP
Local club/country
Torrance House Golf Club EK
Irons
MP 69's
Driver
Mizuno JPX 850 Fujikura Orochi 60g Stiff

Alastair Gibson said:
BigPete said:
So I have a few questions...

- are there left handed options?

Thanks \^^/
Ha cheers Dave that saved me asking then sounding like a leftie moaner.

Think the boat has left on my Miz woods wish now though. My new .... set up in the woods has finally given me exactly what i need.

PS n.k. isn't a swear word it's just that i don't want to shout about them too loudly!!
It's PETE!!

RobB2

HCP
Local club/country
http://www.lilleshallhallgolfclub.co.uk/
Irons
MP25 4-6,MP5 7-PW,PX 6.0 ,Mizuno T7 50,54,58 all PX6.0,,TM M2 3 wood 15 deg Aldila Rogue Silver 70 stiff,Mizuno JPX 800 3 hybrid Fubuki stiff .TM Spider Tour Black 34".Ball- Vice Pro +
Driver
Taylor Made M2 10.5 Aldila Rogue Silver 70 Stiff

Alastair Gibson said:
RobB2 said:
All said and done ,it would be nice to have some 'different' shafts to try when getting fitted.I know you have said before that the shafts you have cover 90% of your customers.Problem is i possibly and more than likely come into the 10% as i have a S/S of 113mph and have not found 1 of the shafts Mizuno offer in the woods, that suits me.Hence my preference for TM and Ping woods.

PS Epic was and still is a great shaft.
Rob you say all of above, however, the shaft you state you have in your driver, the Pro X 6B3 is not infact listed as an option with Ping in your driver. The stated offering from Ping is the Project X graphite series. ie the same series as Mizuno offer as custom.!?

TM offer some custom shafts in their R11 TP but at such a massive up charge ie £400 for a driver that you would be as cheap buying shaft and driver seperate then merging the two before selling the stock.

You can buy a Miz driver and fit almost any shaft and still be competitive for price against the TM offerings although there is no denying the TM offers more options in terms of adjustability.
Alastair,

What i was actually referring to was the fact that none of the shaft,head combinations worked for me with current Mizuno woods.I have been fitted for driver,3 wood and hybrid and found better shaft/ head combos with Ping and TM.I actually brought all 3 clubs and have now moved elsewhere to get the club i feel happy with. I paid £129 for my TM TP 3 wood with £200 Matrix shaft.I paid £89 for my TM TP Hybrid with Voodoo shaft and £260 for my Ping G20 with PX6B3/PX6.5 shaft,which are one and the same .I tried the very same shaft in the Mizuno driver and it just didn't work for me.Ok it's £100 less but if it doesn't work for me! I had a Mizuno MX 700 with custom fit VS Proto shaft,cost me £159 brand new .It's a great combination but i wanted less spin /lower flight so i changed to something that gives me both and another 10 yds to boot.The Ping isn't adjustable and both of my TM woods are set to neutral even though they have FCT on them.It's not the adjustability for me it's the right head /shaft combination and the only way to get that is to try as many shafts as you can.Mizuno can only offer me the best head /shaft combo that 5 or 6 shafts can give you.I don't have endless amounts of cash to spend but if the shaft that suits me can be brought for £20 or £200,and it's the shaft that helps me play better golf ,then i'm a happy bunny.Would rather pay £20 though if i'm honest.

Alastair Gibson

HCP
Local club/country
FIFE

RobB2 said:
Problem is i possibly and more than likely come into the 10% as i have a S/S of 113mph and have not found 1 of the shafts Mizuno offer in the woods, that suits me.Hence my preference for TM and Ping woods.
Don't mean to start an arguement Rob but...

You have the Project x 6.5 shaft (not one of the tour issue shafts!) which Mizuno offer in a Ping but you are criticising Mizuno's lack of shaft options and stating they don't have a shaft which covers your clearly remarkable swing speed?!

Try the Pro x 7.0 which Mizuno also offer, its for the real quick swingers.

mizunotitleistfan

HCP
Local club/country
TheWonderfulWorldOfGolf
Irons
Mizuno T Zoid Pro's 3-PW and Mizuno MP-T11 56* wedge.
Driver
Titleist 905R 10.5* driver- shaft irrelevant

looks excellent, lots of irons and hybrids off the tee this week then

Wedgenut

HCP
Scr
Local club/country
UK
Irons
MP-63BNI 4-PW Monaco X T-11BNI 50/54/58 Spinner W
Driver
MP-630 10.5 Project X 6B7 JPX800 15 RIP Beta 70S

UTY, great pics, the course looks awesome. I was lucky enough to play it back in May. The fairways are tight but it's the greens that make it so tough. They're smaller than any greens I've ever played and all the edges have little run offs. It feels like they play half their actual size.
It's not a course I'd like to play a medal on everyday!

Attachments

RobB2

HCP
Local club/country
http://www.lilleshallhallgolfclub.co.uk/
Irons
MP25 4-6,MP5 7-PW,PX 6.0 ,Mizuno T7 50,54,58 all PX6.0,,TM M2 3 wood 15 deg Aldila Rogue Silver 70 stiff,Mizuno JPX 800 3 hybrid Fubuki stiff .TM Spider Tour Black 34".Ball- Vice Pro +
Driver
Taylor Made M2 10.5 Aldila Rogue Silver 70 Stiff

Alastair Gibson said:
RobB2 said:
Problem is i possibly and more than likely come into the 10% as i have a S/S of 113mph and have not found 1 of the shafts Mizuno offer in the woods, that suits me.Hence my preference for TM and Ping woods.
Don't mean to start an arguement Rob but...

You have the Project x 6.5 shaft (not one of the tour issue shafts!) which Mizuno offer in a Ping but you are criticising Mizuno's lack of shaft options and stating they don't have a shaft which covers your clearly remarkable swing speed?!

Try the Pro x 7.0 which Mizuno also offer, its for the real quick swingers.
Alastair,

I tried the PX 6.5 shaft in JPX 800 and it didn't work for me .Simple as that.It works in the G20 ,why i don't know.It has 6B7 on it by the way and is tour issue,although it is the very same shaft as 6.5. They did me a favour as i had waited so long due to shaft shortage and put that in for me .Just quicker than average Alastair!!

Anyway if you want to continue this debate i suggest we move it somewhere else ,as not to detract from the real purpose of this 'Tour Blog'link ?

unbeatenthisyear

HCP
Local club/country
UK
Irons
MP-64
Driver
JPX Proto

A couple of large downpours overnight and still raining now. First tee time was 9am and it was barely light by then. Limited field of 96 players this week due to the limited daylight hours.

With the exception of the Tour School (in Dec) this is our last tournament with the workshop this year. For the next few months our players will come to visit us at the English Nation Fitting Centre at Burhill Golf Club if they want to work on their equipment.

Still plenty to do on the workshop though – making a few back-up sets for some of our players and then got to do a full stock check. We carry around 3,000 shafts, 7,000 grips, 100 sets of iron heads, 300 wedge heads, drivers, fairways and hybrids, plus all the soft goods (not a quick job!!)...

Attachments

mizunotitleistfan

HCP
Local club/country
TheWonderfulWorldOfGolf
Irons
Mizuno T Zoid Pro's 3-PW and Mizuno MP-T11 56* wedge.
Driver
Titleist 905R 10.5* driver- shaft irrelevant

love this thread, what a great insight into a world we can only dream of, thank you.

BigPete

HCP
Local club/country
Ruthin and Pwllglas

Yup I agree my favourite thread too.

BTW check out this vid of Chuck and Luke being shown around the new fully loaded Miz tour van in the States.

Luke looks impressed in a "Yeah Ok it's a lot like the European one" kind of way "an inlay in the table did you say?"

Charles Howell III who is known for his love of tinkering looks like a dog with 2 drivers.... "Dude! Look at all those shafts to try out!!"

http://www.twitvid.com/YEYNJ

Deemac

HCP
Local club/country
Irons
MP 69's
Driver

unbeatenthisyear said:
Still plenty to do on the workshop though – making a few back-up sets for some of our players and then got to do a full stock check. We carry around 3,000 shafts, 7,000 grips, 100 sets of iron heads, 300 wedge heads, drivers, fairways and hybrids, plus all the soft goods (not a quick job!!)...
UTY,

When you do your stock check - you couldn't accidentally "loose" a set of 69's, 5-PW, DG S300 Shafts, NDMC Grips, 4 deg flat, could you?

:)

Attachments

unbeatenthisyear

HCP
Local club/country
UK
Irons
MP-64
Driver
JPX Proto

When you do your stock check - you couldn't accidentally "loose" a set of 69's, 5-PW, DG S300 Shafts, NDMC Grips, 4 deg flat, could you?

:)[/quote]

Got the clubs and a contract waiting for you as soon as you get your card!!

BigPete

HCP
Local club/country
Ruthin and Pwllglas

unbeatenthisyear said:
DeeMac said:

Now that's inspiration to get better eh Dee?

Deemac

HCP
Local club/country
Irons
MP 69's
Driver

unbeatenthisyear said:

Touché

Note to self - must get to the range more and remember to apply for Q-School next year!

Attachments

tonytim8

HCP
Local club/country
Essendon GC Herts
Irons
Mizuno JPX 900 Forged - 5 - pw, STG 180 3Wood, JPX 900 Rescue 19 degree , MP T7 51 & MP T7 57. Putter: Evnroll ER2 Black
Driver
Mizuno STZ 10.5 degree

unbeatenthisyear said:

Got the clubs and a contract waiting for you as soon as you get your card!![/quote]

Spent the last hour turning the house upside down,

will an OYSTER CARD do ?????????

Bullroarer Took

HCP
Local club/country
Poplar Creek Golf Course
Irons
mx-200 5-LW
Driver
mx-700 10.5

Unbeaten - have you worked at all with the Project X graphite iron shafts? I'm curious how easy or hard it is to adjust the swing weight with them. (Many graphite iron shafts have such a small ID that you can't really put a tip weight in.)

unbeatenthisyear

HCP
Local club/country
UK
Irons
MP-64
Driver
JPX Proto

Bullroarer Took said:
Unbeaten - have you worked at all with the Project X graphite iron shafts? I'm curious how easy or hard it is to adjust the swing weight with them. (Many graphite iron shafts have such a small ID that you can't really put a tip weight in.)
Shouldn't be too many issues but will depend on the full specs required (shaft weight, grip size/weight, length etc). If everything is standard I believe they come out around D0-D1 with an A weight (steel) head.

UTY

unbeatenthisyear

HCP
Local club/country
UK
Irons
MP-64
Driver
JPX Proto

One of the more unusual requests....

Ignacio Garrido likes a strange looking putter! We've made a couple of prototypes for him in the last few weeks that started out as training aids. He likes the looks of a ball sized sphere (not a flat circle like a 2-Ball).

He brought in a Dare to Dream H-505 as a "donor" which we chopped up, added a sphere (which started as a wooden curtain pole finial) and a couple of heavy steel circular weights!

Not sure it'll catch on!

Attachments

Top Bottom