Halebopp

HCP
Local club/country
Lakeside Golf Vammala, Finland
Irons
MP-H5/53/4
Driver
MP-650/ST180
Poor O'Meara, he looked like just another mortal off the first tee. His tee shot leaked into the junk on the right and then he pulled the provisional left of the fairway into a bunker. A situation I can easily relate to.

dave_giz

HCP
Increasing
Local club/country
None curently
Irons
MP18 SC's along with MP S-18 wedges 52 & 58.
Driver
Mizuno JPX 850 driver and 3 wood.
I'm enjoying this start to the Open, it's good to see the players putting so much thought into every shot and trying to play shots that you don't often see these days. Nice start from Poulter, but I've a feeling he won't finish on the first page of the leaderboard today, never mind at the end.

Halebopp

HCP
Local club/country
Irons
MP-H5/53/4
Driver
MP-650/ST180
Koepka is picking up right where left off and Casey is one shot off. :) Chris is still in it also. I didn't see much of today but I'll be glued to the telly on Saturday and Sunday.

DennisMiller

HCP
Old Age
Local club/country
Killian Greens Golf Club
Irons
MX-1000
Driver
ST-180
I woke up around 4 am and just stayed up to watch it, on and off, most of today. My next door neighbor's son has recently taken up golf and to say he's avid is a big understatement. He watched it from 1 am and eventually conked out on the couch. Young people just haven't got what it takes...   ;-)

BTW - He plays a set of MP-H4 irons...   Good kid...

The American broadcast seems to highlight good chances for way too many players for them to focus on just a few. They almost seemed confused about who to talk about.

dave_giz

HCP
Increasing
Local club/country
None curently
Irons
Driver
DennisMiller said:
I woke up around 4 am and just stayed up to watch it, on and off, most of today. My next door neighbor's son has recently taken up golf and to say he's avid is a big understatement. He watched it from 1 am and eventually conked out on the couch. Young people just haven't got what it takes...   ;-)

BTW - He plays a set of MP-H4 irons...   Good kid...
It's great, and sadly quite rare these days, to see such enthusiastic youngsters.

DennisMiller

HCP
Old Age
Local club/country
Killian Greens Golf Club
Irons
MX-1000
Driver
ST-180
dave_giz said:
It's great, and sadly quite rare these days, to see such enthusiastic youngsters.
Both teaching pros I've known well for the past 5-6 years specialize in teaching children. It's thrilling to see little kids come into the game when Derrick Payne or Sean Kicker have their summer camps or lesson groups.

I heard something interesting the other day. The fastest growing group entering golf right now in America is teenage girls... !!!

Celtic_Bil

HCP
Local club/country
Hunley Hotel & Golf Club, North Yorkshire
Irons
MP18SC/MP5/MP54
Driver
JPX850
DennisMiller said:
dave_giz said:
Both teaching pros I've known well for the past 5-6 years specialize in teaching children. It's thrilling to see little kids come into the game when Derrick Payne or Sean Kicker have their summer camps or lesson groups.

I heard something interesting the other day. The fastest growing group entering golf right now in America is teenage girls... !!!
My coach teaches a large amount of children.  I believe he turned down a decent job offer at a top course to continue what he is doing.  He believes greatly in teaching them how to shape the ball left and right and how to hit it high and low.  Learning this at an early age works wonders apparently.  He's been trying to teach me this for years..........with little success :(

hursty

HCP
Local club/country
No Fixed Abode
Irons
MP-33 2-PW, MP T-7 52 & 58 wedges
Driver
Cobra Encore ZL F1 Stiff, 913F 3W - Ahina XStiff, Odyssey #7CS
Wayne, you know fine well you can shape it right/left and hit it high/low.

Doing it when you want to is a different matter......

DennisMiller

HCP
Old Age
Local club/country
Killian Greens Golf Club
Irons
MX-1000
Driver
ST-180
hursty said:

Oh Lord, sometimes I wonder if I can make it go FORWARD...

Celtic_Bil

HCP
Local club/country
Hunley Hotel & Golf Club, North Yorkshire
Irons
MP18SC/MP5/MP54
Driver
JPX850
hursty said:

I have been known to do all four in the same shot!

DennisMiller

HCP
Old Age
Local club/country
Killian Greens Golf Club
Irons
MX-1000
Driver
ST-180
Hey! Poulter seems to be feeling an old spark... It would be really cool to see him win it.

dave_giz

HCP
Increasing
Local club/country
None curently
Irons
Driver
dave_giz said:
...Nice start from Poulter, but I've a feeling he won't finish on the first page of the leaderboard today, never mind at the end.
I'm going end up eating my words aren't I?

DCB

HCP
Local club/country
Midlothian, Scotland http://www.merchantsgolf.com
Irons
My ReHab Bag - Mizuno JPX 900 HM 5-GW A Shafts, JPX EX 4H, JPX 900 5 & 7 Wood Orochi RL Shafts.
Driver
JPX 900
Watched the first pair set off this morning. One of the club professionals out as a marker for Shaun Norris. The club pro spanked a beautiful tee shot down the first on what must have been a very stressful situation. His caddy was however carrying a mizuno staff bag, so, maybe no surprise that he hit a good one off the tee ;)

hursty

HCP
Local club/country
No Fixed Abode
Irons
MP-33 2-PW, MP T-7 52 & 58 wedges
Driver
Cobra Encore ZL F1 Stiff, 913F 3W - Ahina XStiff, Odyssey #7CS
DCB said:
Watched the first pair set off this morning. One of the club professionals out as a marker for Shaun Norris. The club pro spanked a beautiful tee shot down the first on what must have been a very stressful situation. His caddy was however carrying a mizuno staff bag, so, maybe no surprise that he hit a good one off the tee ;)
Birkdale is a Mizuno Performance Fitting Centre so it's great advertising for them :)

TheJoshuaTree

Local club/country
United Kingdon]
Irons
Mizuno JPX 825 Pro 4 - PW, Wedges Cleveland 588 RTX 48/08, 52/08, 56/14, 60/08
Driver
Titleist 915 D2, Titleist 913 15 degree, Titleist 913 19 degree, Titleist 915 Hybrid
Birkdale looks a fantastic course but i think they set the course up too soft for an Open championship, we've seen a lot of players playing from the rough and still hitting the greens without too much of a problem. Quite a few players have played for the rough on purpose to avoid bunkers or to give them a better line in knowing that it won't cause them any problems with it being thin and whispy. On a links course the protection should be the weather/wind, the bunkers, the rough along with the firm, fast greens. 

The course has looked fantastic but for me it's not been as punishing to bad shots as it should be for an Open championship, i'm sure people will have different views, those are just my own.

Halebopp

HCP
Local club/country
Irons
MP-H5/53/4
Driver
MP-650/ST180
Sunday back 9 finish, can't go wrong with that! Go Kuuuuuuuch!

DennisMiller

HCP
Old Age
Local club/country
Killian Greens Golf Club
Irons
MX-1000
Driver
ST-180
Halebopp said:
Sunday back 9 finish, can't go wrong with that! Go Kuuuuuuuch!
We were talking about whether Kooooooooch could win today. If he does, I feel it sets up his career for a very good chance at the hall of fame.

Bonobobananas

HCP
Local club/country
England
Irons
Titleist T100s 😬
Driver
TM Stealth 2+
TheJoshuaTree said:
Birkdale looks a fantastic course but i think they set the course up too soft for an Open championship, we've seen a lot of players playing from the rough and still hitting the greens without too much of a problem. Quite a few players have played for the rough on purpose to avoid bunkers or to give them a better line in knowing that it won't cause them any problems with it being thin and whispy. On a links course the protection should be the weather/wind, the bunkers, the rough along with the firm, fast greens. 

The course has looked fantastic but for me it's not been as punishing to bad shots as it should be for an Open championship, i'm sure people will have different views, those are just my own.
Totally agree with this. Spieth has played some garbage and gotten away with it due to easy lies.

DennisMiller

HCP
Old Age
Local club/country
Killian Greens Golf Club
Irons
MX-1000
Driver
ST-180
It takes a bit of luck to win any tournament, but when you play 5 under on the last 5 holes, to win by 3 shots, it means nobody played as well as you anyway.

Bonobobananas

HCP
Local club/country
England
Irons
Titleist T100s 😬
Driver
TM Stealth 2+
DennisMiller said:
It takes a bit of luck to win any tournament, but when you play 5 under on the last 5 holes, to win by 3 shots, it means nobody played as well as you anyway.
He wouldn't have been -5 on the course I played. And he'd have about three less balls in his bag

Top Bottom