HCP
Old Age
Local club/country
Killian Greens Golf Club
Irons
MX-1000
Driver
ST-180
America made a reasonable comeback, but now that's it's over, some of the guys can hold their heads a bit higher.

And i have to say this... I love Justin Rose. I'm not sure I've ever heard a player with more thoughtful answers to interviewer's questions.

Now, we have to wait until 2024 for the President's Cup at Royal Montreal.

Br1an_g

HCP
Local club/country
Downfield
Irons
Srixon ZX5 mk2 4-gw Nippon modus NS pro 105x
Driver
Callaway rogue st max 9.5 fujikura vista pro 65s,
Glad the USA team put up a fight, Europe were just on better form. Hovland the stand out for me, was surprised Ricky gave the putt though, surely you make the putt to win.

DennisMiller

HCP
Old Age
Local club/country
Killian Greens Golf Club
Irons
MX-1000
Driver
ST-180
was surprised Ricky gave the putt though, surely you make the putt to win.
And the know nothing crowd on Instagram, Facebook and TikTok are really taking him to task over it. None of these jerks was there to see it, much less could have handled the pressure.

DCB

HCP
Local club/country
Midlothian, Scotland http://www.merchantsgolf.com
Irons
My ReHab Bag - Mizuno JPX 900 HM 5-GW A Shafts, JPX EX 4H, JPX 900 5 & 7 Wood Orochi RL Shafts.
Driver
JPX 900
Could we finish it this afternoon.?
So you're the one who hex'd us ;-)

When I heard someone mention that on the coverage i thought that we were going to get into a fightback from Team USA that afternoon. What a great weekends viewing

PaulBoy

HCP
WHS 7.0
Local club/country
Army GC Hampshire
Irons
Mizuno MP-20 MMC (4-AW) Modus3 105s
Driver
TM Stealth II MRC Tensei Orange 50s
So you're the one who hex'd us ;-)

When I heard someone mention that on the coverage i thought that we were going to get into a fightback from Team USA that afternoon. What a great weekends viewing
I don't think you should be so hard on Brian? - I wanted to reach into my TV & grab Paul McGinley by the throat though! - After about an hour on Sunday, he was making comments like "It's not whether we will win, it's how many we are going to win by" - US then started to dominate the scoreboard! - Thankfully our front loaded team began to perform & the rest as they say is history - What a great weekend of golf ...

DCB

HCP
Local club/country
Irons
My ReHab Bag - Mizuno JPX 900 HM 5-GW A Shafts, JPX EX 4H, JPX 900 5 & 7 Wood Orochi RL Shafts.
Driver
JPX 900
Paul McGinley was fairly dire all weekend. He really does spraff on at times. Still, it all ended well, so it was a good weekend's golf.

Robbo016

HCP
Local club/country
Saunton / Puckrup Hall GC
Irons
MP64's 3-5 MP5 6-Pw +0.5" 2 degs up Tour Modus 105 S Scotty SM9Wedges 50, 54 & 60 Scotty putter 3-3-3-5
Driver
Taylormade Stealth 2+ Fujikura Ventus S-75
Paul McGinley was fairly dire all weekend. He really does spraff on at times. Still, it all ended well, so it was a good weekend's golf.
Yeah no what you mean… his voice just grates after a while - there was always the option of ‘Mute’ which was deployed at times and following a particular group to get away from him…

DennisMiller

HCP
Old Age
Local club/country
Killian Greens Golf Club
Irons
MX-1000
Driver
ST-180
Yes, it was a great weekend. While i guess I'm supposed to root for the UI.S. team, just because I live here, I often feel like i know quite a bit about the European players, because i watch so much more of their tour. They are on in the morning here, but i usually have things to do in the afternoons when the U.S. tour is on tv. Add to that, my participation here, where we often talk about the Euro players and I guess I feel like I know them as well as i may know anything about an American player.

The American comeback on Sunday was just enough to make the matches interesting. I can't wait for the President's Cup now.

DCB

HCP
Local club/country
Irons
Driver
JPX 900
One thing I noticed is that we now have an "event crowd" rather than a golf fan crowd. I've always been of the mindset, if its a good shot you give the player credit. I'm not into cheering a bad shot or a shot that rolls off a green into a difficult hollow. I've watched a fair bit of live golf events over the years and feel we have turned a corner into a one way street, its only going to go one way from now on. I'm not a fan if the raucous crowd and the "unsporting" reactions it generates. Lets see some decent behaviour please !

DennisMiller

HCP
Old Age
Local club/country
Killian Greens Golf Club
Irons
MX-1000
Driver
ST-180
One thing I noticed is that we now have an "event crowd" rather than a golf fan crowd. I've always been of the mindset, if its a good shot you give the player credit. I'm not into cheering a bad shot or a shot that rolls off a green into a difficult hollow. I've watched a fair bit of live golf events over the years and feel we have turned a corner into a one way street, its only going to go one way from now on. I'm not a fan if the raucous crowd and the "unsporting" reactions it generates. Lets see some decent behaviour please !
I very much agree. If you haven't seen my post in this thread from October 1st, check it out. Less specifically than what I said about the Ryder Cup, I really don't like the loud attitude of mostly American golf fans exhibited on tv every week. I don't hear people at Euro Tour tournaments yelling ridiculous phrases like, "MASHED POTATOES" when someone hits a drive. I don't hear the idiots telling the drive on a par 5 to, 'GET IN THE HOLE!'

I'm not saying the golf course should be as quiet as a library, but turning it into a football game, (soccer or American football), simply is not appropriate. I swear, sometimes I'm thankful that I'm so old. Maybe I won't live long enough to see where this ridiculous spectator behavior is taking our beloved game.

PaulBoy

HCP
WHS 7.0
Local club/country
Army GC Hampshire
Irons
Mizuno MP-20 MMC (4-AW) Modus3 105s
Driver
TM Stealth II MRC Tensei Orange 50s
I very much agree. If you haven't seen my post in this thread from October 1st, check it out. Less specifically than what I said about the Ryder Cup, I really don't like the loud attitude of mostly American golf fans exhibited on tv every week. I don't hear people at Euro Tour tournaments yelling ridiculous phrases like, "MASHED POTATOES" when someone hits a drive. I don't hear the idiots telling the drive on a par 5 to, 'GET IN THE HOLE!'

I'm not saying the golf course should be as quiet as a library, but turning it into a football game, (soccer or American football), simply is not appropriate. I swear, sometimes I'm thankful that I'm so old. Maybe I won't live long enough to see where this ridiculous spectator behavior is taking our beloved game.
Good to hear you have a very "European" attitude to golf galleries Dennis - It's a bit of a generalisation, but in the main, people that go to these events in Europe are golf fans & usually also golfers, so they respect the players & behaviour is generally good to both teams in a Ryder Cup or to all players in a tournament - Across the pond in the US I don't believe the majority who attend tournaments & the Ryder Cup are actually golfers? - Most are "sports fans" who are more used to shouting their lungs off at baseball / basketball / american football? - Their behaviour at times can be most disrespectful as they have no idea about the etiquette of golf & the massive difference there is between it & their usual sports events? - On a personal level, I can't watch ANY US golf coverage due to the "Mashed Potato" brigade & turn the sound off - That said, there is one exception, The Masters where a holler of "Get in the hole!" is likely to result in one of the patrons turning on you, or better still, one of those who police the event, ejecting you!

DennisMiller

HCP
Old Age
Local club/country
Killian Greens Golf Club
Irons
MX-1000
Driver
ST-180
Good to hear you have a very "European" attitude to golf galleries Dennis - It's a bit of a generalisation, but in the main, people that go to these events in Europe are golf fans & usually also golfers, so they respect the players & behaviour is generally good to both teams in a Ryder Cup or to all players in a tournament - Across the pond in the US I don't believe the majority who attend tournaments & the Ryder Cup are actually golfers? - Most are "sports fans" who are more used to shouting their lungs off at baseball / basketball / american football? - Their behaviour at times can be most disrespectful as they have no idea about the etiquette of golf & the massive difference there is between it & their usual sports events? - On a personal level, I can't watch ANY US golf coverage due to the "Mashed Potato" brigade & turn the sound off - That said, there is one exception, The Masters where a holler of "Get in the hole!" is likely to result in one of the patrons turning on you, or better still, one of those who police the event, ejecting you!
In general, I agree that European, and I'll add Asian golf fans, are much more respectful when they are spectators. I wouldn't say a majority of American spectators are not golf fans, but the vocal minority seems to be growing and it's unfortunate that a certain small group of players on the U.S. tour promotes the stadium or arena noise making on the course. DeChambeau comes to mind.

And I'd agree if the tour adopted the same rule as The Masters and kicked people off the course for yelling stupid stuff. The "Mashed Potato Brigade", as you so aptly coined the term, might be sensible enough to wait until a player they are watching hit their tee shot, but there's no guarantee some other player in close proximity won't hear it in the middle of their down swing.

Applause and the subsequent roar after some brilliant shot is to be expected, not controlled, but the stupid yelling has to go.

DennisMiller

HCP
Old Age
Local club/country
Killian Greens Golf Club
Irons
MX-1000
Driver
ST-180
Not just for the sake of digging up an old thread, I happened to read something last night about what golf represents to Rob Gronkowski, an American football player who recently took up the game. He was asked what golf represented to him and other than the competition and self control he mentioned, he talked about camaraderie, drinking and playing his music in his golf cart and having fun with his friends.

Unfortunately, this is an attitude I run into a lot at Killian Greens in recent years. There's a new generation of player at Killian Greens who, and I'm not exaggerating, have absolutely no respect for the game, the golf course or anyone else on it.

Look, I'm 74 and have an attitude about golf I'll explain in a moment. Suffice it to say, if I ran into circumstances like Rob Gronkowski said too frequently, it would force me to look for a different course to play. Considering what i just wrote above, that's exactly what I'm doing.

There's a limit to how anyone should be allowed to create their personal spaceon the course, basically defined as keeping it personal with no disturbance or distraction to other players on the course.

I thought about that for a while and an interesting thought crossed my mind. Both of my initial teachers who started me in the game at the age of 4 were both from the UK. Joe Lally was Irish and Bert Croghan was Scottish. When i discovered my birth family, I learned my family originally came from Scotland too.

In the serch for my birth family, one of the most interesting things has been finding how much we have in common and things we love that have nothing to do with DNA. For example, like me, my father was a golfer. Like me, he was a pilot of small aircraft. Like me, he was over the top in love with his dogs. I could go on and on...

I wonder if the influence of such a European background has caused me to have my conservative attitude about how I feel the environment of the game should be played?

Robbo016

HCP
Local club/country
Saunton / Puckrup Hall GC
Irons
MP64's 3-5 MP5 6-Pw +0.5" 2 degs up Tour Modus 105 S Scotty SM9Wedges 50, 54 & 60 Scotty putter 3-3-3-5
Driver
Taylormade Stealth 2+ Fujikura Ventus S-75
Interesting Dennis - so what is your take on LIV?

DennisMiller

HCP
Old Age
Local club/country
Killian Greens Golf Club
Irons
MX-1000
Driver
ST-180
Interesting Dennis - so what is your take on LIV?
Personally, I wouldn't want the Saudis as business partners under any circumstances, but that's just me. To be honest, my reasons are political and religious.

I can understand why some pros looked at so much money and what they could do with it, whether to be charitable, or just how many generations of a college education it would buy as their family tree grew. I understand about working less days a week for the chance to win more money. None of us has a right to argue with their individual reasons for accepting the money and going to LIV.

What I don't know, and each player would have to answer this themself is, knowing the initial reaction to their exit would disqualify them from certain tournaments, many of which are the building blocks of their legacy in the game, why then? By the same token, some of them lost sponsorships, probably worth a lot of money. I just don't know where their thinking was.

The guys on tour are thought of as being so ridiculously competitive. Have they actually got the desire to be remembered in the future for winning major tournaments? Don't they care about how many tournaments they win on the best known tours in the world? Those are tournaments most of the world is familiar with and measures golfing success with up to now? On the other hand, how many LIV tournaments can we even name? It takes a lot of guts to be a pioneer, so only time will prove whether they accomplished something historically important in the game, or not.

From the management standpoint, had it been me, I might have approached the PGA and Euro Tours and offered a partnership.cash in hand, but with a plan to be offered. If the negotiation had come first, with an offer that interested the tours involved, maybe the dissension it's caused could have been avoided.

In the end, I don't like what it has done to the game.

Last edited:
Top Bottom