Ryder Cup

LOS

Local club/country
England
Might as well start a thread.
Good to see they are playing in mainland Europe this time and it may provide some interest in the locals.

The course they are playing is keen on sustainability so given the heatwave this summer I hope the fairways are dry with a bit of run on them.
"Sustanaibility is the key-word of Marco Simone renovation, we pay great attention to saving water resources. "
1694006664038.png
https://www.golfmarcosimone.com/ryder-cup-2023-course/
gives maps of individual holes and distances in metres.

As to the European Team I don't have a choice but I would not like to partner Hatton in the fourballs and foursomes as I find him irritating.

DennisMiller

HCP
Old Age
Local club/country
Killian Greens Golf Club
Irons
MX-1000
Driver
ST-180
I'm looking forward to watching the matches. I'll probably record everything, figuring they will be on early.

Robbo016

HCP
Local club/country
Saunton / Puckrup Hall GC
Irons
MP64's 3-5 MP5 6-Pw +0.5" 2 degs up Tour Modus 105 S Scotty SM9Wedges 50, 54 & 60 Scotty putter 3-3-3-5
Driver
Taylormade Stealth 2+ Fujikura Ventus S-75
My initial thought is USA will be too strong, too much strength in depth, but Luke has got the majority of picks right - personally would have had Meronk over Lowry, but Lowry picked for same reason JT has been… I see a close match which should be a great spectator event.

DennisMiller

HCP
Old Age
Local club/country
Killian Greens Golf Club
Irons
MX-1000
Driver
ST-180
Maybe they will look good on paper, but the game is played by pros, not papers. I think any Ryder Cup matches are a toss up. The guys aren't professionals because they signed a paper like I did to give up my amateur status and go to work as an assistant club pro, unless you are Ian Poulter, and look where he got...!!!

(Uh... I never got there...) :-(

DCB

HCP
Local club/country
Midlothian, Scotland http://www.merchantsgolf.com
Irons
My ReHab Bag - Mizuno JPX 900 HM 5-GW A Shafts, JPX EX 4H, JPX 900 5 & 7 Wood Orochi RL Shafts.
Driver
JPX 900
It should be a good match. I see it being very close going into the sunday singles ties, but overall I think the USA will just be that little bit too strong for our team and will take a narrow victory. Going to be a good weekends viewing whatever though :)

DennisMiller

HCP
Old Age
Local club/country
Killian Greens Golf Club
Irons
MX-1000
Driver
ST-180
The video says it's not available in my country...??? Sounds like someone is still fighting with the colonies. ;-)

What was it about?

LOS

Local club/country
England
99 was the only year Woods played on a winning US Ryder cup team.
He was a lucky mascot for us as the US had 1 win and 7 losses while he played.

DennisMiller

HCP
Old Age
Local club/country
Killian Greens Golf Club
Irons
MX-1000
Driver
ST-180
Good Morning! I just turned on my recording of the first day of play I'd swear Scottie Scheffler looked nervous.

I'm supposed to play at 9 AM this morning. With palm trees and hackers surrounding me at Killian Greens, it'll be hard to fantacize we're playing in the Ryder Cup, but there are a couple similarities between Killian Greens and Marco Simone. (yeah, right!)

Both of the courses both have holes going in every direction and both have holes requiring you to move the ball both ways. Of course, I'll be playing KG about 2000 yards shorter, but that's all my fantasy will allow me. ;-)

Enjoy the matches my friends...

Br1an_g

HCP
Local club/country
Downfield
Irons
Srixon ZX5 mk2 4-gw Nippon modus NS pro 105x
Driver
Callaway rogue st max 9.5 fujikura vista pro 65s,
Very strong start by Europe.

Robbo016

HCP
Local club/country
Saunton / Puckrup Hall GC
Irons
MP64's 3-5 MP5 6-Pw +0.5" 2 degs up Tour Modus 105 S Scotty SM9Wedges 50, 54 & 60 Scotty putter 3-3-3-5
Driver
Taylormade Stealth 2+ Fujikura Ventus S-75
And again this morning - clean sweep possible again in foursomes… C’mon boys

Br1an_g

HCP
Local club/country
Downfield
Irons
Driver
Wow, Europe on fire this morning. Hovland and aberg 8 up after 10!

Br1an_g

HCP
Local club/country
Downfield
Irons
Driver
Could we finish it this afternoon.?

Varry Hardon

HCP
Local club/country
Dukinfield
Irons
H5 long irons, Takomo 101T, S23 wedges
Driver
ST-G
Koepka is currently on the range practising his spitting.

DennisMiller

HCP
Old Age
Local club/country
Killian Greens Golf Club
Irons
MX-1000
Driver
ST-180
I don't know why the Americans can't seem to make a putt. And it's not like the Euros are making tons of birdies either. They are playing good golf, but America is simply playing lousy. And, it's not just putting. I've never seen pros miss fairways and greens like this.

How many more times will an American player miss the first fairway to the right. If I was a spectator on the right side of that fairway, my butt would have moved out of the way a long time ago, or I'd fear my life insurance wouldn't pay off if I stayed there.

I find it disgusting how, in some other forums, Zach Johnson is being blamed for so much. You can argue all you want about his captain's picks, but the fact is, some of his picks are playing slightly better than guys who qualified for the team.

At 9-1/2 to 2-1/2 right now, it's either going to be the biggest winning score for Europe or the greatest comeback by America in the history of the Ryder Cup. Don't ask me what my money is on.

Varry Hardon

HCP
Local club/country
Dukinfield
Irons
H5 long irons, Takomo 101T, S23 wedges
Driver
ST-G
Need the USA team to win a minimum of 3 points this afternoon, otherwise tomorrow will be a complete anti-climax.

DennisMiller

HCP
Old Age
Local club/country
Killian Greens Golf Club
Irons
MX-1000
Driver
ST-180
I woke up around 5 AM and decided to stay up and turn on the matches. They keep saying there have been 4 comebacks like America would require to win, but as badly as we are playing, i don't see a chance. The old expression about a snowball's chance in hell comes to mind.

One thing bugged me about the matches this year and I wonder why it's happening. My observation over my life has been that European fans are MUCH more polite to the opposition than American fans. Yet, this year, the American players seem to get booed a lot during the introductions, or even when they just make a putt. Admittedly, all the fans seem quiet when a player is hitting the ball, but I can't help but wonder why the European fans seem different this time. Could it be a larger contingent of Italian fans? I have no idea if Italian fans are different from anyone else in Europe. It just seems strange.

That said, the one thing that made me want to throw something at the television was some obviously American fan you could hear yelling at Rahm's ball to "GET OFF THE GREEN" when it was close to the edge. It did, rolling down a hill about 20 yards away. I have no tolerance for that kind of BS and if i had any say about it, that clown would be thrown off the course and not allowed back in.

Top Bottom