HCP
Old Age
Local club/country
Killian Greens Golf Club
Irons
MX-1000
Driver
ST-180
With thanks to the Sand Trap Golf Forum for the idea, what are your golf goals for the new year?

Last year, at the age of 72, (until May of 2022), my goal was to make progress on shooting my age. I was focused on doing it at 72 because it meant shooing even par to do it where I play most and I felt that would make it more meaningful.

Physical problems kept me from that so far, but I'm working on that and I hope to do it before May, when I turn 73. Secondary to that, my physical therapists are helping me develop a stretching routine to lengthen my backswing while I also do PT for a torn meniscus in my left knee. At least I have the advantage of goodweather all year round.

My other thought is, since I complain about not being able to play alone due to poor eyesight, I want to spend that time practicing more. Even though I've had a net and practive mat in my yard for 5 years now, I've gotten lazy about hitting balls except when I try some new club. Doing more of that for full swings is one thing, but I know very well the secret to scoring, specially at my age, will be my short game. I can do that at Killian Greens easily.

Just to be silly, I figured a practice session at Killian Greens would cost me 73 cents U.S. for gas, nothing more than the cost of a round trip drive totaling 4.5 miles. They don't have range balls or a range, so I'd have to take my own shag bag. There's really no other cost unless I go too close to the excellent Cuban restaurant attached to the proshop... I really don't feel like I have any excuses, do I?

What runs through your mind? What would you love to accomplish in 2022?

Halebopp

HCP
Local club/country
Lakeside Golf Vammala, Finland
Irons
MP-H5/53/4
Driver
MP-650/ST180
My biggest goal for 2022 wasn't related to playing. Our golf union had invited me to attend TARS (Tournament Admiministrators and Referees Seminar) in St. Andrews in February. Unfortunately we got the news yesterday that R&A had cancelled the event. I can't say I was surprised though. Successful completion of TARS would open the doors to working in international events.

As the winter is for skiing, I haven't given much though to next golf season but I'd like to do a proper putter fitting with SAM Puttlab next year. It'd be fun to know what I'd actually need, how close my current putter is to it and which of the M Crafts would suit my needs the best. I enjoyed the V when I tried it indoors and was really impressed by the used M Craft VI I tested for a round last autumn.

I guess I could make it a goal to play to Dennis' age within the next couple of years? I can't see myself ever playing to my age, I did do it for half a round though when I shot 33 (-2) going out several years ago.

DennisMiller

HCP
Old Age
Local club/country
Killian Greens Golf Club
Irons
MX-1000
Driver
ST-180
I guess I could make it a goal to play to Dennis' age within the next couple of years? I can't see myself ever playing to my age, I did do it for half a round though when I shot 33 (-2) going out several years ago.
Someone once asked me what the best 9 hole score I'd ever shot was, comparing it to my age at the time. I've shot 4 under 3 different times, 32 for 9 holes, but I was 30-31 at the time, so I never thought about it as any sort of big deal. (Obviously, I understand how it would be for many people.)

I shot my age for 9 holes a lot more times in my mid 30s, with even less a feeling of accomplishment.

There is an old joke... And this is something I think about doing on the course with the characters i usually play with on Monday morning. This old guy played golf almost every day at a pretty tough course. He would always turn in scores of 74, 75, 76, 77... One day, he had trouble with his pull cart and had to take a cadie. After a 56 on the front side, he took a 6 on the 10th, a 5 on the 12th and a 6 on the 13th, he hit 3 shots at the par five 14th hole and picked up. When the caddie asked him what happened, he said, "I've had my 76 shots for the day."

I'm really tempted to announce I intend to shoot my age next Monday and pick up after 72 shots.

Top Bottom