Trouble adapting to wider gaps

jmtbkr

HCP
Local club/country
Eastpointe CC
5 month old JPX 921 hot metals.
The gaps are definitely wider than my old Callaways and certainly longer shots too.
anyone having trouble with shorter shots being "in between" clubs?
Should I bend them weaker or just keep practicing?
Still love these irons tho....

MTR

HCP
f0re
Local club/country
EU
Irons
MP-9-11-14-29-37-20
Are all the gaps consistently wider, or unevenly spread? Do a gapping session with a launch monitor and post data. Should be a relatively easy fix.

tomvk77

HCP
Local club/country
GC de Koepel, netherlands
Irons
Mizuno JPX 921 Forged KBS Tour Stiff 4-pw
Driver
Callaway Rogue ST Max LS 10.5 set to 9.5
I hope i don’t get this problem. I ordered my new irons last week. Coming from MP59 and going to play jpx921 forged. I had some trouble blending in my wedges but i could arrange that with bending the wedges, it reduces the bounce as well and i kinda like to play low bounce wedges.

Steve Smith

Local club/country
Newcastle upon tyne
Sorry to be an old fart here but have you ever tried to learn to play half or 3 quarter shots?

If that sounds a bit smug or confrontational then I apologise very much.

I have gone back to 10 clubs now and play better for it if I am honest. Ditched the driver.

ST180 3 wood set to 13 degrees, ST180 5 wood set to 20 degrees. JPX 900 Hot Metal - 5 6 7 8 9 P... and MP-T4 SW 56 degree 13 bounce taken back to 54 degree so 11 degree bounce and a C01 blade

Seve learned to play with a rusty old 3 iron head that his brother Manuel found in the rough whilst caddying for very rich crappy golfers at Royal Pedrena near the Ballesteros peasant family farm, ran down to the woods, found a straight stick and used his pen knife to attach it to the head with spine grass. Went out ...practiced on the beach, and created his own golf course in the dunes and became the greatest genius golfer in the world... with a rusty old 3 iron...

Not trying to disrespect your concern but just saying....

Regards 🤪🤪🤪

tomvk77

HCP
Local club/country
Irons
Driver
Lmao, i don’t want to compare myself or anybody els with the talent and feel of seve. I basically think we amateur hackers can use all the help we can get to put a decent round together. Thats why i will carry an extra wedge in my new setup instead of a strong 3 hybrid and a 3 iron. The hybrid will go back to standard loft and the 3 iron will go out.

jmtbkr

HCP
Local club/country
Eastpointe CC
I've been practicing the half and 3/4 shots and things are working out. The combo of stronger lofts and lighter clubs overall give me a faster clubhead speed. So I'm working on a softer swing. Doesn't take much to send the ball flying! These are awesome irons. Just got to get used to the 5* spread. Definitely getting there!!

Steve Smith

Local club/country
Newcastle upon tyne
I've been practicing the half and 3/4 shots and things are working out. The combo of stronger lofts and lighter clubs overall give me a faster clubhead speed. So I'm working on a softer swing. Doesn't take much to send the ball flying! These are awesome irons. Just got to get used to the 5* spread. Definitely getting there!!

Nice one 😀😀😀

Half shots - back of the stance, all hands and arms, NO BODY MOVEMENT, cut off the follow through at the horizontal.

Hopeless at doing them myself but that is the theory 😃😃

KR's ... 😁😁

Steve Smith

Local club/country
Newcastle upon tyne
Sorry to be a PITA but the paradox is with half shots... dont use a softer swing... it is actually better to be MORE AGGRESSIVE. If you try to slow the tempo down you will just end up decelerating and duffing it...

Hit it quite hard... down the shaft... back of the stance.... short swing... all hands and arms... NO BODY MOVEMENT... cut off the follow through... you will get LOADS of spin!!

Trust me... I learned this from my sisters ex who was a qualified pro.

Sorry if I am a PITA... guilty as charged... 😆😆😆😆

Best Regards dude

Steve Smith

Local club/country
Newcastle upon tyne
I hope i don’t get this problem. I ordered my new irons last week. Coming from MP59 and going to play jpx921 forged. I had some trouble blending in my wedges but i could arrange that with bending the wedges, it reduces the bounce as well and i kinda like to play low bounce wedges.
The pros are all playing low bounce wedges now. It requires a more precise strike but you get more control and spin.

Also much more flatter sole low bounce sand wedges now. Tiger started the trend a few years ago. Bunkers in the US have much flatter bases and firmer builders type sand. They are no longer hazards. The bunker playing technique has also changed from an open stance open club face to a much more square approach. Waste of time having them now.

But.... when they get into those little links pot bunkers on UK seaside courses with loose soft proper seaside sand we will see how these softy Yanks get on with their 5 degree bounce sand wedges and their square stance then??? 🤪🤪🤪😝

tomvk77

HCP
Local club/country
Irons
Driver
Sm8 wedges i think have 23 options, grind, loft and bounce. Amazing, i had a long talk with my headpro about it and came up with a gapwedge f grind, and m grind sand and lobwedge, my sandwedge will be bend to 55 to even out the gaps. I don’t play half shots i prefer a 3/4 swing, i have trouble getting the club straight at impact causing a block.

Steve Smith

Local club/country
Newcastle upon tyne
Sm8 wedges i think have 23 options, grind, loft and bounce. Amazing, i had a long talk with my headpro about it and came up with a gapwedge f grind, and m grind sand and lobwedge, my sandwedge will be bend to 55 to even out the gaps. I don’t play half shots i prefer a 3/4 swing, i have trouble getting the club straight at impact causing a block.
The nice thing is Tom that us mere mortals are getting all of the fitting options that the pros have had for many years.

Back in the day.... (sounding like the 4 Yorkshiremen sketch again) us plebs wete not considered worthy of all these option that Mizuno has led the way on for the average Joe. Lofts, lies, swingweight, shaft torque, kickpoint, tipping, wedge bounce and grinds, leading edge, trailing edge etc...

Ball fitting, spin rate, launch angle.

It DOES MAKE A LOT OF DIFFERENCE even to an 18 handicapper... but it wont make you better per se... just makes the best of what you have.

I think... avoid that miracle driver for £500 that will claimto fix your slice even with an out to swing plane. Just go to a good pro for a couple of lessons at £30 an hour gets us swinging an in to out and releasing the clubhead properly.

It never ceases to amaze me how nany people I come across that spend vast amounts every year on new stuff, yet begrudge the cost of a couple of lessons to sort out their swing. More money than sense and they dont get better.

Also dont go to the big chains where they are tied to one of the major manufacturers who pressure them to push their clubs. Most of the lads who work in these places are not qualified pros just decent amateur golfers working for a minimum wage + sales commision. A few years ago I got "fitted" on Skytrack for a new driver ... the lad said yeah getting good numbers.. but I said.... hang on a minute... that footage is not me.. that bloke on the screen is wearing a cap... Is that Ben Hogan!???

😆😆😆😆😆😆😆

That Callaway was a complete dog on the course for me..... ended up selling it on EBay and buying the JPX825 latest model in 2013 from my club pro.

Still use it... my ST180 is a bit straighter and less prone to a hook.... but I am yet to find any driver of any make that I can get out further than the 9.5 JPX 825 with the stock Orochi stiff. Sometimes you just find something that suits your swing just right

Take care and KR's Tom..

Smitty

😀😀😀😀👍👍👍👍👍

DennisMiller

HCP
Old Age
Local club/country
Killian Greens Golf Club
Irons
MX-1000
Driver
ST-180
Before you ask someone to bend your lofts or lies, maybe you had better check with Mizuno to be sure the Hot Metals can be bent and how much they can tolerate, if they can at all.

I have the 919HM irons with senior flex graphite. I never felt there was a gap issue with them, but then, I've only gone to them in the past couple months, so I might change my tune during the summer, when I'd be playing more through the air and less on the ground like I do this time of year.

Top Bottom