LOS

Local club/country
England

Robbo016

HCP
Local club/country
Saunton / Puckrup Hall GC
Irons
MP64's 3-5 MP5 6-Pw +0.5" 2 degs up Tour Modus 105 S Scotty SM9Wedges 50, 54 & 60 Scotty putter 3-3-3-5
Driver
Taylormade Stealth 2+ Fujikura Ventus S-75
So many similar stories like this, Birmingham council at bankruptcy for one. At some point there has to be accountability and better oversight of financial (mis)management.. otherwise it’s always ends up rolling down the hill and impacting a part of a community like this. How has it got to this position…

DennisMiller

HCP
Old Age
Local club/country
Killian Greens Golf Club
Irons
MX-1000
Driver
ST-180
While America is building golf courses like mad in places with a reasonable, much less highly profitable tourist trade, go figure out why Miami, Florida is closing courses. Developers want the land to build houses, or in the case of one course near me, a retirement community. Three courses I used to play a lot have closed in the past few years. Local government just doesn't seem to think golf is an activity that attracts tourists. Personally, I don't get it.

And, a fourth course with 27 holes, owned by the Miccosukee Indian Tribe is "sort of" on the market. It's a matter of common knowledge they have wanted to sell at least 9 holes, if not the whole thing, for many years now.

Here's the real issue though. Two of the courses that closed had covenants with the homeowners who live in homes with the course in their backyards.

In both cases, politics and money came into play and the covenants were broken. It all comes down to corruption in the courts, the simple ability to pay off a judge for a favorable ruling. Some judges who were investigated were found guilty and removed from the bench. One was even sent to prison for something like 7 years, but by the time these investigations and court processes are done, it's generally too late to save the course, because construction to whatever the developer wants to do has started. Nobody stops it while the investigations and court case is going on.

Killian Greens, the course I play most, also has a covenant. I'm not sure how much longer it goes on, but the owner wants to build more homes on the course. Unlike other course owners, he has made a big effort to improve what was a dog track into a much improved golf course. He has also realigned pricing and made "deals" like $30 for 18 holes with a cart all day on Wednesdays. In short, he's trying to make a profit on volume of play at a less profitable rate per person and it's working. Now he offers the same deal on Monday too, which was the deadest day of the week before.

The deals became so popular, to attract more players, business on other days of the week improved too.

None of the owners of courses who broke the covenant even tried to improve business. A lot of us are hoping the owner at Killian Greens will make KG so successful he decides he wants to keep it as a golf course and ditch the idea of developing the property. I'd say odds are small, since new homes in that neighborhood might bring $600,000 at current prices, obviously more into the future. I've heard varied numbers for how many homes he thinks he could build, but it seems to be between 50-60 homes. Even at a current home value around $600,000, that could land him something like $30,000,000 plus. I seriously doubt the course bills more than $2,000,000 a year gross, so I expect KG to disappear someday.

Halebopp

HCP
Local club/country
Lakeside Golf Vammala, Finland
Irons
MP-H5/53/4
Driver
MP-650/ST180
Wait, you have courses owned by cities?

But it sounds rather tragic if 150-year-old courses get destroyed because they aren't maintained properly. Certainly such courses must've been good ones to survive so long. Quite similar to cities owning protected buildings and leaving them to rot so the buildings need to be bulldozed and "developed" into something else.

LOS

Local club/country
England
Wait, you have courses owned by cities?

But it sounds rather tragic if 150-year-old courses get destroyed because they aren't maintained properly. Certainly such courses must've been good ones to survive so long. Quite similar to cities owning protected buildings and leaving them to rot so the buildings need to be bulldozed and "developed" into something else.
There are quite a lot in the UK and for many people it's where they started playing golf and where people have been able to continue playing golf at an affordable price. My nearest one was in Carlisle but due to it being on a flood it was unsuitable for housing and is supposed to be transformed into an urban wildlife area.
https://www.newsandstar.co.uk/news/...golf-course-carlisle-gets-set-transformation/

Halebopp

HCP
Local club/country
Irons
MP-H5/53/4
Driver
MP-650/ST180
There are quite a lot in the UK and for many people it's where they started playing golf and where people have been able to continue playing golf at an affordable price. My nearest one was in Carlisle but due to it being on a flood it was unsuitable for housing and is supposed to be transformed into an urban wildlife area.
https://www.newsandstar.co.uk/news/...golf-course-carlisle-gets-set-transformation/
That's interesting. I can't imagine the public outcry if some city tried to operate a golf course here in Finland. People would be sharpening their axes. When you talk about public courses, does it mean city-owned courses? I've assumed the difference between public and private courses being their policy towards visiting players rather than the ownership.

But the courses and clubs in Finland, while private, aren't for-profit for the most part. They exist primarily to give their owners (membership) a place to play golf and the annual dues for unlimited golf are around the cost of maybe 15 green fees.

LOS

Local club/country
England
A few bits:-

Municipal Course

Golf facilities that are owned by a city or other municipality are known as municipal courses. You pay a fee each time that you visit one of these courses. Sometimes, these are the cheapest pay-as-you-go courses, but fees may be different for residents and non-residents.

https://www.bowringpark.co.uk/park-history
1708340200156.png

I don't have access to the full paper but in 2010 there were 210 municipal golf courses in England
Municipal golf in England: exploring performance indicators for local authorities
Abstract
Best Value requires local authorities to seek 'continuous improvement' in their services, and to use benchmarks as a means of measuring their status and progress. Sport England produced 58 benchmarks for access, finance and utilization of sports halls and swimming pools. England has 210 municipal golf courses (11% of the total), which are being squeezed by commercial competition, often from new courses built since 1980, and the surplus income they now contribute to total leisure budgets is small. This paper, using data from 17 courses in four authorities, attempts to produce benchmarks of the same three aspects; six key and 32 others were constructed. The findings confirm the profile of use as even more dominantly male than members' and commercial courses; disadvantaged users including those using Leisure Cards, were more prevalent on shorter courses and those with a lower proportion of professionals and managers in the populations of their catchments. The courses that had the highest income, conversely, were longer and had larger AB catchment populations. Little money was spent on marketing by these authorities, and none on staff training. The study shows that useful benchmarks will be produced if good national data is obtained.

I am trying to avoid having a rant about Local Politics.

Towns and Cities in England have to produce a "Local Pan" , normally to cover the next 10 to 15 years, which has to housing, schools, medical services etc for an expected growth in population numbers. With regards to housing builders do not wish to take on old factory sites and prefer "Green Sites" as there is less likely to be site pollution , with associated cleanup costs, and no old utilities issues. A lot of of school playing fields are now housing estates and some of the remaining ones have been cut down in size and astro turfed. Once they are gone the next group of "Greenfield Sites" they can get rid of for a lot of cash are the Municipal Courses.

https://www.sussexexpress.co.uk/new...ex-golf-club-from-housing-development-4500170
Homes England wants to build up to 10,000 new homes on land west of Ifield – including Ifield Golf Club – and Horsham District Council has allocated an initial 3,000 homes there as part of its newly-released Local Plan.
Homes England says the golf course is surplus to requirements and says other golf facilities in the area are able to cope with any future demand.

DennisMiller

HCP
Old Age
Local club/country
Killian Greens Golf Club
Irons
MX-1000
Driver
ST-180
Avoiding a rant about the politics behind course closures is one thing. Removing politics from golf is another.

LOS obviously has more willpower than I do. I refuse to sit still and just see the game I loved thrown away in a town where we welcome over 50 million tourists every year. It's estimated that 1 out of every 7 people in America play golf, so out of that 50 million, that would be approximately 7 million of the visitors here being golfers.

There are only 38 courses in or within 20 miles of Miami, for a golfing population estimated at 800,000 locals. (about 21,000 players per course)... Having done a bit of research and spoken to an attorney friend who specializes in zoning affairs, I now know that number of courses is down from 45 courses 10 years ago.

Last edited:

Halebopp

HCP
Local club/country
Irons
MP-H5/53/4
Driver
MP-650/ST180
Thank you LOS for your reply!

I live in the third-biggest city in Finland with a population of about 250 000. We have one proper 18-hole club and another club with a nine-hole goat track and a nine-hole par-3 course (even the full-length nine is ranked amongst the worst five in the country by golfers every year). The 18-hole club is one of the oldest in the country but because it's quite close to the city centre it's been under threat for years. Its saviour has been the fact it was built on swampy ground and developing the area has simply been considered to be too expensive. Until now that is. The course will have to make way for apartment buildings and they'll build a new course half an hour drive away from the city centre. While the course will definitely be an improvement over the current one, it'll make it more difficult to attract new players and getting kids to play.

After the move I'll have a proper 18-hole club 20 minutes away, the moved club and a 36-hole club 30 minutes away and my home club with two courses 40 minutes away. The mentioned clubs are just shy of a total of 10 000 members.

LOS

Local club/country
England
After the move I'll have a proper 18-hole club 20 minutes away, the moved club and a 36-hole club 30 minutes away and my home club with two courses 40 minutes away. The mentioned clubs are just shy of a total of 10 000 members.

That's an incredible number of members for 3 courses as our course restricts the number of adult members to 550 and we have a waiting list, nearly depleted last year after most people went back to work as the covid subsided, with the junior section having somewhere between 20 and 30. They are trying to get more women interested so there is no restriction on them joining.

We are approaching budget time for councils so I have noticed a few in Scotland are considering closing courses to save money.

https://www.thecourier.co.uk/fp/new...y-castle-caird-park-golf-close-dundee-budget/
Closure of castle, golf courses and observatory could save £100,000s

1708611928734.png

Br1an_g

HCP
Local club/country
Downfield
Irons
Srixon ZX5 mk2 4-gw Nippon modus NS pro 105x
Driver
Callaway rogue st max 9.5 fujikura vista pro 65s,
Currently live in Dundee and grew up playing dalmuir which is a great course with arguably one of the best par 3 holes I have ever played, The Gully. Always try to go back and play the open every year.

Real shame if they close it down

Halebopp

HCP
Local club/country
Irons
MP-H5/53/4
Driver
MP-650/ST180
That's an incredible number of members for 3 courses as our course restricts the number of adult members to 550 and we have a waiting list, nearly depleted last year after most people went back to work as the covid subsided, with the junior section having somewhere between 20 and 30. They are trying to get more women interested so there is no restriction on them joining.
Not all the members are active golfers, some might play 10 rounds a year etc. but around 1200 is the absolute maximum per 18 holes. When we got fed up with our old club they had about 1800 members and 27 holes. We switched to a club with 1400 members and 36 holes. At the fold club you had to be ready to book tee times the moment they came available online if you wanted to play with friends. And even then you could miss out, not just on the most wanted times but altogether. But clubs in the UK might be more of a luxury for guaranteed tee times etc. as you have city-owned courses as an option for simply playing the game. As noted, clubs in Finland exist to give golfers a chance to play at all. And with no lack of daylight in the summer, courses can easily accommodate for over two hundred rounds a day. In 2020 the busiest courses had well over 40 000 rounds played during the season when the normal numbers for busy courses would be north of 30 000.

Our current club still had it easy about five years ago. You could check with friends around noon if they'd like to play an evening round and while we might not have been able to choose which course we'd play, we could definitely get times for three around the after-work prime time.

The funny thing is, we still have about 1400 members but the membership is much more active now than it was ten years ago. Now we need to plan a couple of days ahead if we want prime-time slots and the days of 3:30 rounds on an empty course are gone. Four hours, waiting on every tee is the standard now.

Meanwhile our old club is actually full with some 2600 members and they do have a waiting list. They even removed lower rates for young adults as they can easily fill their ranks with people willing to pay the full dues.

Top Bottom