HCP
WHS 7.0
Local club/country
Army GC Hampshire
Irons
Mizuno MP-20 MMC (4-AW) Modus3 105s
Driver
TM Stealth II MRC Tensei Orange 50s
Hello ... I am about to take delivery of a set of Mizuno Pro 223 Irons - I have the 4 - PW coming & will need a Gap / Approach wedge, with the possibility of adding further Mizuno 54 & 58 wedges? - Anyway, to start with I am just looking at the Gap Wedge - There is a 223 GW, but these are quite rare on the used market & a bit out of my budget new? - I wondered what any 223 users here have done with their wedges? - An obvious alternative seems to be the T22 wedge range (don't fancy the spinnier S23 range) - T22 50* would fit the bill for me, ideally in the same shaft as my iron set - Any input would be much appreciated ...
Paul
PS - I tried to search for "Mizuno Pro 223" but "Pro" & "223" are too small or "too common" to be included in the search! :oops:

Robbo016

HCP
Local club/country
Saunton / Puckrup Hall GC
Irons
MP64's 3-5 MP5 6-Pw +0.5" 2 degs up Tour Modus 105 S Scotty SM9Wedges 50, 54 & 60 Scotty putter 3-3-3-5
Driver
Taylormade Stealth 2+ Fujikura Ventus S-75
Hate to say this, but have moved to Vokey‘s…. They are awesome. Don’t have the soft feel but am chuffed with them

PaulBoy

HCP
WHS 7.0
Local club/country
Army GC Hampshire
Irons
Driver
Hate to say this, but have moved to Vokey‘s…. They are awesome. Don’t have the soft feel but am chuffed with them
Thanks for the reply - I have had Vokey's before so wouldn't rule them out, or any other "premier league" wedges - I change all my clubs way too much, probably due to having too much time on my hands as a retired geriatric! - I need to update my profile as I don't think I have ANY of the clubs listed there! o_O

Robbo016

HCP
Local club/country
Irons
MP64's 3-5 MP5 6-Pw +0.5" 2 degs up Tour Modus 105 S Scotty SM9Wedges 50, 54 & 60 Scotty putter 3-3-3-5
Driver
Thanks for the reply - I have had Vokey's before so wouldn't rule them out, or any other "premier league" wedges - I change all my clubs way too much, probably due to having too much time on my hands as a retired geriatric! - I need to update my profile as I don't think I have ANY of the clubs listed there! o_O
Ha, I know what you mean.
The Mizzy wedges felt fab, but got the odd flyer on launah monitors with them, couldn’t explain… but the sheer optionality on the bounce won me over on the vokeys, the 60 Deg M Grind 8 bounce is arguably the best wedge I’ve ever owned… play a lot at Saunton, and can just lay it open and pinch off the turf… it’s a thing of beauty

Varry Hardon

HCP
Local club/country
Dukinfield
Irons
H5 long irons, Takomo 101T, S23 wedges
Driver
ST-G
Don't rule out the S23 wedges.
Mine arrived this week.

I have:
S23 - 58/08
T22 - 58/12

Both identical shafts and grips.

The 58 does not seem to spin any more than the T22. Though I have not tested on a launch monitor so I don't know what the RPM is.
I wanted something with less bounce due to how dry our course has been recently.
Also to be able to hit from the centre of the face, not so much towards the heel like T22 & Vokeys.

PaulBoy

HCP
WHS 7.0
Local club/country
Army GC Hampshire
Irons
Driver
Don't rule out the S23 wedges.
Mine arrived this week.

I have:
S23 - 58/08
T22 - 58/12

Both identical shafts and grips.

The 58 does not seem to spin any more than the T22. Though I have not tested on a launch monitor so I don't know what the RPM is.
I wanted something with less bounce due to how dry our course has been recently.
Also to be able to hit from the centre of the face, not so much towards the heel like T22 & Vokeys.
Thanks for that Varry - My suggestion that the S23 would be too spinny for me is based on reviews, not any testing by me? - But historically I haven't got on well with anything described as spinny, so wouldn't take a risk on something so described without trying it? - What shafts are in your S23 & T22 as that can affect spin in a big way?

PaulBoy

HCP
WHS 7.0
Local club/country
Army GC Hampshire
Irons
Driver
Ha, I know what you mean.
The Mizzy wedges felt fab, but got the odd flyer on launah monitors with them, couldn’t explain… but the sheer optionality on the bounce won me over on the vokeys, the 60 Deg M Grind 8 bounce is arguably the best wedge I’ve ever owned… play a lot at Saunton, and can just lay it open and pinch off the turf… it’s a thing of beauty
Sounds like to found the unicorn of lob wedges there! - I wish I played on a links course as you pretty much can use the same wedges / bounce all year round? - My main course is wetter than an otter's wet bits in the winter, but rock hard in the summer! - In an ideal world I should use 2x sets of wedges for both conditions, but in reality I just stick to 1x set & do the best I can ...

Varry Hardon

HCP
Local club/country
Dukinfield
Irons
H5 long irons, Takomo 101T, S23 wedges
Driver
ST-G
Thanks for that Varry - My suggestion that the S23 would be too spinny for me is based on reviews, not any testing by me? - But historically I haven't got on well with anything described as spinny, so wouldn't take a risk on something so described without trying it? - What shafts are in your S23 & T22 as that can affect spin in a big way?
They are:
Project X LZ
6.0 flex
120g weight

Robbo016

HCP
Local club/country
Irons
Driver
Sounds like to found the unicorn of lob wedges there! - I wish I played on a links course as you pretty much can use the same wedges / bounce all year round? - My main course is wetter than an otter's wet bits in the winter, but rock hard in the summer! - In an ideal world I should use 2x sets of wedges for both conditions, but in reality I just stick to 1x set & do the best I can ...
Fair point - condition all year round of links helps… and yes different set up for winter, but I dont play much in Winter, just on links as, as you say, other course wetter than… well you put if perfectly 😂

PaulBoy

HCP
WHS 7.0
Local club/country
Army GC Hampshire
Irons
Driver
Thought I'd update this thread: I decided to get a T22 50* Copper version & absolutely loved everything about it! - I then decided to add the 54* & 58* Coppers - While searching eBay, I came across the AW Mizuno Pro 223 actually being sold by the person I bought the rest of the set from! - He told me he was originally planning to keep the club, but had changed his mind! - To be fair, he gave me a cracking deal on the club, albeit I then had the extra hassle of selling the T22 50*? - I now have found the T22 54* & 58* Copper wedges - Couldn't get them in the exact same shaft as the iron set, but same weight & appear to fit well gapping wise - Got there in the end & very happy with performance of all the clubs ...

Top Bottom