Mizuno Optimizer question

HCP
Local club/country
USA
Irons
MP-52 (5-W), Rifle 5.0, 2* up
Driver
Cobra ZL 9.5* Stiff
Does the optimizer make a shaft recommendation based on the average of your three scores or does it actually take each of the 3 swings into account separately?

Thx

Deemac

HCP
Local club/country
Torrance House Golf Club EK
Irons
MP 69's
Driver
Mizuno JPX 850 Fujikura Orochi 60g Stiff
My understanding is that it takes an average of the three swings. You'd be surprised how close your 3 swings will be to each other!

The three shafts are not shaft recommendations for each swing, but the three best recommendations based on the agregate results of the swings on the optimiser.

This is what I have been led to believe - although, I could be wrong! Perhaps one of the staffers could confirm...

SimonS

HCP
Local club/country
http://www.crailgolfingsociety.co.uk/
Irons
Miura PP-9003
Driver
JPX-EX 10.5 reg
My understanding is exactly the same. When I first tried out the optimiser back in November my results were 3,4,4,5 3,4,4,5 3,4,4,6 (can't remember the swing speeds) the swings were not all the same - caught one fat but I would not argue with the results.

You might not find that the first choice shaft is the best for you but I'm damn sure that one of the three will be right for you.

ChuckD

HCP
Local club/country
Sydney
Irons
MP59 KBS Tour, MP T4 50, MP-T10 54, MP-T 58
Driver
Callaway Octane Tour 9.5 ProLaunch Red Xstiff
Who has used this and been fitted with the recommended shaft and how accurate has the recommendation been?? I dont know why Im going to do this to myself, but Im going to have it done in the next few weeks. Im not convinced that standard R300 shafts are right for me. They may suit my swing speed on a chart (83-86mph), but I know tempo has a bearing too.

Lord Helmet

HCP
Local club/country
USA
Irons
MX200 5i&6i - MP53 7,8,9i, PW, Callaway X Forged 51 GW,Callaway x forged 56 SW
Driver
Callaway X Hot
I just went thru the entire selection of shafts and took my time to find the best combo. For me it was the KBS Tour shaft.

I found the entire True Temper line to be rather rebar feeling. Its not for me. But to each their own and go get whatever feels the best and works the best! Name of the game!

Id never even heard of KBS until I demo'ed the MX200 and MP52. And now its my shaft!

dazzer24

HCP
Local club/country
Withington Golf Club Manchester
Irons
mx300 Project x 5.0 3-PW,Fli Hi 2i, Callaway Razr X 2 Hy, Vokey wedges 52,56,60
Driver
Callaway Diablo Octane Black Tour 9.5 stiff, Ping G15 3 Wood
Hi there
Deemac is correct the computer uses an average- but out of the 3 swings there was virtually no difference-it doesnt really matter about the contact with the ball you still tend to load the shaft in the same way. I was fitted out after Id bought the irons-crazily enough. I'll explain!
I was very unhappy with the irons Id been using and whilst at the range picked up the MX300 in the large well known golf store(mentioning no names) attached to the range. It felt great so I arranged a 'custom fitting' the following day at the golf store. They have flightscope facilities. However when I arrived the store pro said it wasnt necessary to use the technology. I hit the clubs with the S300 dynalite shafts and admittedly they felt good. I didnt try anything else and walked out an hour later with the set. Partially my fault as I was cheesed off and therefore an easy sell- but the salesman would have said yes to anything that they had in stock.
I then visited Wrexham a couple of weeks later as I wanted to be sure. Strangely the optimiser top choice was again the dynalite shaft. However when we tried all 3 shafts and looked at the numbers it was the worst of the 3 launching with way too much spin. The Project X 5 flattened my flight out, got rid of a slight leak right and brought the spin rate down nicely but still with good height and considerable distance gain. We also discovered 2 degrees up and 1/4 inch over standard and 2 layers of tape on static fitting
Im actually still waiting for the new clubs so I dont know till I get them in action. Encouragingly Im playing very well with the dynalites( rounds of 82,83,79,77 this week) but I can see how a flatter flight will help.
Sorry I've gone off topic a bit here but the moral of the story is make use of the best facilities available(Mizuno fit for free with no obligation so its worth an hour or two's travel)
Also that the number 1 recommendation may not always be right what didnt quite work for me may be perfect for someone else- the trackman numbers really help- as does plain old 'feel'.
Oh and dont go trying clubs out when you are desperate! Salesman can smell it!
The Mizuno fitter was really annoyed with the retailers attitude (even though I was eager to sort it as soon as possible) and felt that he should have mentioned the Mizuno fittings available-could have booked me in, or at least fitted me properly with he facilities they had at the shop- he would still have made the sale and knew that because I was adamant a change was required.
Safe to say I wont be buying there again! Oh and I'll have a lightly used set of MX300's with Dynalite XP S300 shafts for sale in a couple of weeks...
Just dont tell the wife!

mjtoal

HCP
Local club/country
Bearwood Lakes, Berkshire
Irons
Mizuno MP4, C-taper S
Driver
Tirtleist 913D3, Oban Devotion
I think you should complain to the shop that sold the clubs after telling you that you did not need fitting. The evidence from Wrexham is that you did. Ask them to buy back the MX300s.

dazzer24

HCP
Local club/country
Irons
Driver
The response wasnt that I didnt need fitting. It was that his eye was as good as any fitting technology. With everything thats available these days to fitters that simply isnt the case anymore. Unfortunately its a bit late now to go back and complain I've played 10 or so rounds of golf with them. I will be telling them next time I go in though. They will also be told I wont be buying any more clubs from them.
You(I) live and learn!

mjtoal

HCP
Local club/country
Bearwood Lakes, Berkshire
Irons
Mizuno MP4, C-taper S
Driver
Tirtleist 913D3, Oban Devotion
dazzer24 said:
The response wasnt that I didnt need fitting. It was that his eye was as good as any fitting technology. With everything thats available these days to fitters that simply isnt the case anymore. Unfortunately its a bit late now to go back and complain I've played 10 or so rounds of golf with them. I will be telling them next time I go in though. They will also be told I wont be buying any more clubs from them.
You(I) live and learn!
I am not sure it is too late. Tell them also you are telling the story on a well known golf forum.

dazzer24

HCP
Local club/country
Irons
Driver
Haha good point mj!
I'm going to speak to them and see what their reaction is. If it's an indifferent or defensive reaction then I may be minded to press further. Awkward situation as its the only decent range locally and I go there regularly.
Thanks for the input though.
Regards
Darren
Apologies for hijacking the thread as well draw1!

ChuckD

HCP
Local club/country
Sydney
Irons
MP59 KBS Tour, MP T4 50, MP-T10 54, MP-T 58
Driver
Callaway Octane Tour 9.5 ProLaunch Red Xstiff
I went to a Mizuno fitter over the weekend. I more or less also wanted to be sure I was using the right shaft. I currently have Dynalite XP Gold R300 in MX200's. On the optimizer, all 3 swings were 87.3, up slightly from last time I was measured, but well within myself. I cant remember the other numbers, but the shaft came back as an S300. This shaft felt heavier. There was very little, if any, change to flight and distance. I did not try any other shafts as this was the recommendation from the computer. Maybe I should have, but he was very happy with the way I was hitting the ball. I have to say, the fitter was very helpful, asked a lot of questions, but he was helped by my feed back as well, so it goes both ways. You have to communicate back what you are feeling when you hit the ball, kinda like a help me help you situation. At least I dont have to go through the expense of changing shafts and I can concentrate on my golf instead of wondering if what I am using is right for me.

HCP
Local club/country
usa
Irons
4-pw, MP 57, MP 52 & MP 60
Driver
Mizuno 630 - stock rayon shaft stiff
The optimizer is great technology. If someone wants to fit you without using it, slap them unless they have the same skill set as Hank Haney. I found it very accurate I could see the difference in ball flight. Be carefull though, the shafts will perform different with different heads. I hit the ball way to high with the 52 head and the Project X 5.5 shaft. But switched shafts to the KSB and saw a difference.

Evidently, the different Mizuno heads have different spin rates. I wish the optimizer recommended which head would the best spin rate.

I have an idea that the spin rates vary with club head speed and the club head. For example my 6 iron swing speed is 88. There should be certain heads that work best for that.

Top Bottom