HCP
Old Age
Local club/country
Killian Greens Golf Club
Irons
MX-1000
Driver
ST-180
About 2 years ago, I foolishly went looking for improvement by trying an embarrassing number of other golf clubs. I felt OK about some, but I never got the saying about nothing feeling like a Mizuno out of my head. Even though I never used a forged Mizuno iron, i always felt even the cast clubs felt better than other people's cast irons too.

I've gotten old, curmudgeonly and pretty fed up with my game, so a moment ago, I spent around $1000 replacing the Callaway clubs I was using, (a brand new model with truly disappointing lack of feel), and replaced everything with the identical Mizuno equipment I had when I left the brand. They aren't the newest models, but they are identical to what I felt a lot of confidence in.

What should arrive about Wednesday is a set of JPX900 Hot Metal irons, an ST180 driver and an ST180 3 wood. I hope to find a matching 4 iron before I go out and buy a hybrid. (I'd prefer a 4 iron any day)

Maybe with the Covid lockdown we appreciate little things more than we would normally. I feel ridiculously good right now, knowing by the end of the week, I'll be playing Mizunos again.

It's nice to be back.

DennisMiller

HCP
Old Age
Local club/country
Killian Greens Golf Club
Irons
MX-1000
Driver
ST-180
I just got the Fedex delivery email saying everything will arrive tomorrow. I feel like a kid on Christmas morning, or in my case, Hanukkah evening?

PaulBoy

HCP
WHS 7.0
Local club/country
Army GC Hampshire
Irons
Mizuno MP-20 MMC (4-AW) Modus3 105s
Driver
TM Stealth II MRC Tensei Orange 50s
Hi Dennis ... Welcome back! - Nice to hear from one of the "old guard", as there aren't many of us left - Mind you, DeeMac started playing golf again & pops in now & again, so the forum can certainly spring surprises - You are right about the Mizuno irons though - I went through a "trip to the Dark Side" & tried some Ca!!away irons, followed by T!tle!st, but missed the signature Mizuno feel & am now fully recovered! - Should be fun at Chez Dennis tomorrow, enjoy!
Paul

DennisMiller

HCP
Old Age
Local club/country
Killian Greens Golf Club
Irons
MX-1000
Driver
ST-180
PAUL!!!!!! So great to see your voice!!!!!

Yep - I tried some Titleist AP-1 irons that had no feel. I tried some Cobra irons I liked the feel of, even experiemented with a one length set. I think if I forced myself to work with them, they would be good for me, but I couldn't get used to the feel of swinging wedges around me instead of the more up and down feel. I will give Cobra credit for feeling good though.

My most recent effort was with a couple sets of Callaway irons. What i arranged a return of this morning was a set of brand new Callaway Mavrik irons. Some old 2017 Steelhead irons felt a lot better than their Mavrik. I decided to act fast so they could be a return and not a trade in.

For the moment, I have serious eyesight issues and can't play alone because I rarely see the ball anymore. The good news is, it's cataracts I'll have removed around the end of March, so there's a happy future not too far off. My Ophthalmologist is an avid golfer, so he truly understands how I feel about not seeing the ball.

The point is, for the moment, all I can really enjoy from hitting a ball is how it feels and I wasn't liking how things felt. As much as I liked the Mizunos I had, I decided to duplicate what had. Once I feel more informed about the newer Mizuno models and technology, I'll probably upgrade.

Other than that, I'm doing fine during the lockdown. I tell people I'm part of the 1%, not financially secure, but the 1% who is perfectly happy to stay home, play my guitars, play with my dogs and have everything delivered. I was able to get both of my vaccinations, so now I figure to live forever. The only time I leave home is once or twice a week to play golf and that suits me fine.

LOS

Local club/country
England
Good to see you back Dennis. Florida seems to have been having a rough time with Covid so glad you have had both your jabs, I dont get my 2nd until May. I am hoping we will get some fine weather so I can put my net up in the garden to try a few swings until we get back on the course.

DCB

HCP
Local club/country
Midlothian, Scotland http://www.merchantsgolf.com
Irons
My ReHab Bag - Mizuno JPX 900 HM 5-GW A Shafts, JPX EX 4H, JPX 900 5 & 7 Wood Orochi RL Shafts.
Driver
JPX 900
Good to see you back Dennis. Hope the new clubs help you once you get back on the course. Hope all goes well with the eye op.

DennisMiller

HCP
Old Age
Local club/country
Killian Greens Golf Club
Irons
MX-1000
Driver
ST-180
After having 5 surgeries in the past 4 years, I'm actually looking forward to the cataract surgery.

The woods and irons shipped yesterday in 2 different boxes and one of them said they are to be delivered today. There's nothing about the size or the weight, so I have no idea whether the woods or irons will arrive today. The balance of it will arrive Wednesday.

HAIRY ESSEX BLOKE

HCP
Local club/country
Fabulous Frinton on Sea ESSEX
Irons
MP53 4-PW MPT 10 51 & 54 deg various fairways & hybrids plus MX23, MP18MMC, MMC hi fli CLK hybrids T7 wedges
Driver
Mizuno MX700 JPX EZ ,GT & ST180 & ST180G
About 2 years ago, I foolishly went looking for improvement by trying an embarrassing number of other golf clubs. I felt OK about some, but I never got the saying about nothing feeling like a Mizuno out of my head. Even though I never used a forged Mizuno iron, i always felt even the cast clubs felt better than other people's cast irons too.

I've gotten old, curmudgeonly and pretty fed up with my game, so a moment ago, I spent around $1000 replacing the Callaway clubs I was using, (a brand new model with truly disappointing lack of feel), and replaced everything with the identical Mizuno equipment I had when I left the brand. They aren't the newest models, but they are identical to what I felt a lot of confidence in.

What should arrive about Wednesday is a set of JPX900 Hot Metal irons, an ST180 driver and an ST180 3 wood. I hope to find a matching 4 iron before I go out and buy a hybrid. (I'd prefer a 4 iron any day)

Maybe with the Covid lockdown we appreciate little things more than we would normally. I feel ridiculously good right now, knowing by the end of the week, I'll be playing Mizunos again.

It's nice to be back.
Welcome back

MPX

Administrator
Staff member
HCP
Local club/country
UK
Irons
JPX919 Hot Metal Pro 4-PW (C Taper Lite stiff), T20 wedges chrome - 50 / 56
Driver
ST-Z driver, ST200x 3wood, ST200x 5 wood
Nice to have you back Dennis.

DennisMiller

HCP
Old Age
Local club/country
Killian Greens Golf Club
Irons
MX-1000
Driver
ST-180
It's really funny how good it feels to be back. Who would think the brand of clubs could make you feel that way?

One question though... How do I post a picture now? Has it changed?

I tried to post one a moment ago and when it shows the file name uploaded, there's a line through it and the pic doesn't show up.

What am I doing wrong?

LOS

Local club/country
England
It's really funny how good it feels to be back. Who would think the brand of clubs could make you feel that way?

One question though... How do I post a picture now? Has it changed?

I tried to post one a moment ago and when it shows the file name uploaded, there's a line through it and the pic doesn't show up.

What am I doing wrong?
Are you using the "insert image" function?

There is a size limitation on the files so try and keep them below 300KB.

DennisMiller

HCP
Old Age
Local club/country
Killian Greens Golf Club
Irons
MX-1000
Driver
ST-180
Hmmm... The pic is 118K... Maybe community standards don't allow such a sad picture as an empty golf bag...???

I just tried to add it to my post, but it put it up as a new post. No biggie.

Now check this out... The Jewish holiday of Purim was last week. Without going into the gory details, people like to get dressed up in costumes for this holiday. I decided to make mine, instead of buying something like so many others do. My wife cut and sewed an old pair of pants into plus fours and I bought a paid of over the calf argyle socks. I wore a white dress shirt with cufflinks and a skinny tie, tucked into the shirt like so many pictures I've seen. I already had the old fashioned wool newsbiy hat. I took the cleats out of a paiir of black wingtip golf shoes and carried one of my wooden shafted clubs, a Burr Arrow Bilt Jigger.

As a turn of the century golfer, I won first prize... If I can reduce the memorysize drastically, I'll add the photo later. 20210221_162044_compress49.jpg

Last edited:

Halebopp

HCP
Local club/country
Lakeside Golf Vammala, Finland
Irons
MP-H5/53/4
Driver
MP-650/ST180
Good to see you back, Dennis! And best of luck with your surgery!

DennisMiller

HCP
Old Age
Local club/country
Killian Greens Golf Club
Irons
MX-1000
Driver
ST-180
Thanks... It might sound crazy, but I'm really looking forward to it, no pun intended.

The driver and irons arrived today. For some reason, the 3 wood is stuck in Indianapolis and I'm becoming disgusted with Federal Express. Talking to customer service, it's like they don't even care. When I play on Monday, I'll have to carry some other brand of sand wedge and I'll have a big gap between my driver and my 5 iron, but no big deal.

I ordered a Mizuno stand bag today because the carry bag I have doesn't have enough structure to stand up on it's own. At this point, I guess a towel to wipe the clubs is the only accessory I need.

DennisMiller

HCP
Old Age
Local club/country
Killian Greens Golf Club
Irons
MX-1000
Driver
ST-180
The sand wedge came today, as did also the fishing weights that fit inside the extensions to backweight my irons. My 3 wood is still stuck for 4 days now in the Fedex terminal in Indianapolis.

Top Bottom