HCP
Old Age
Local club/country
Killian Greens Golf Club
Irons
MX-1000
Driver
ST-180
Has anyone tried arthritic grips? My hands bug me and I've never bothered over it, but last week, i had a flare up that made it impossible to hold a club.

I missed 2 games, so you can imagine how I'm on the verge of being criminally insane.

There are grips made for arthritic hands, 3/32" oversize with little things that apparently stick out to cushion the shock more than a regular grip. Has anyone tried them?

PaulBoy

HCP
WHS 7.0
Local club/country
Army GC Hampshire
Irons
Mizuno MP-20 MMC (4-AW) Modus3 105s
Driver
TM Stealth II MRC Tensei Orange 50s
Hi Dennis ... I have fitted them for a couple of friends who suffer & they rated them very highly - I was surprised that the little bumps or nodules on the grip were hard rather than soft, but that still seemed to help those who used them? - I hit some shots with their clubs & I would happily use them myself - Apparently they also give good grip in the wet, which is a bonus is this neck of the woods!

Steve Smith

Local club/country
Newcastle upon tyne
Has anyone tried arthritic grips? My hands bug me and I've never bothered over it, but last week, i had a flare up that made it impossible to hold a club.

I missed 2 games, so you can imagine how I'm on the verge of being criminally insane.

There are grips made for arthritic hands, 3/32" oversize with little things that apparently stick out to cushion the shock more than a regular grip. Has anyone tried them?
Hi Dennis

I had tennis elbow about 18 months ago in my right elbow. My physio told me I should use thicker grips, and a constant diameter all the way down instead of getting thinner down to the right hand. It wasnt a serious condition but I was gripping the club too hard with the right hand and just needed to ease off a bit

My mate had a similar problem and uses jumbo grips with constant diameter. Very soft and tacky rubber which allows him to grip very lightly in the fingers without losing grip. He is striking the ball much better and doesnt use a glove now. They are a bit pricey at £15 a grip + fitting, but definately worth it if it helps.
Perhaps you could have a chat with your physio and fitting pro to assess the optimum grip size to help you?

Hope this helps a bit Den 🙂😊 I know its a different condition but all related.

Take care. You are probably living in the right place if you suffer from the problem with warmer weather, I would love to live in a warm climate. A lot of retired people from my neck of the woods move to Spain or Portugal for the health benefits for an older person. Where I live in North East England is not ideal for your condition. England is nice in the summer but morbidly depressing and so cold and sunless from November to March ha ha.

Smitty 👍👍

Steve Smith

Local club/country
Newcastle upon tyne

PS... perhaps you could try cushioned gloves as well to keep you fingers and joints warm as well as the soft jumbo grips. You know? With the rubber noddles on the palms and inside fingers so that you can grip very lightly.

Just a thought,

"There are no such things as problems.... only solutions 😉😉🥰🥰"

My father taught me that. Xxx

DennisMiller

HCP
Old Age
Local club/country
Killian Greens Golf Club
Irons
MX-1000
Driver
ST-180
I would love to live in a warm climate. A lot of retired people from my neck of the woods move to Spain or Portugal for the health benefits for an older person. Where I live in North East England is not ideal for your condition. England is nice in the summer but morbidly depressing and so cold and sunless from November to March ha ha.

Smitty 👍👍
Without going into too much detail, I was adopted and about 5 years ago, I started a search for my birth family. It turns out I'm the oldest of 6 children and all my siblings live in the Pacific NW, Washington State, Oregon and northern California. I visited them in person in June of 2021 and while the days were 100* with so little humidity you didn't break a sweat, the nights would go all the way down into the 50s. My hands would hurt even at just that temperature.

And speaking of Spain and Portugal, I have a nephew and 2 friends who live in Portugal and they rave about it. My nephew loves to surf and one of my friends is a retired executive from Commonwealth Development Corporation. We knew him from when he was posted in Jamaica and we played golf together. He and his wife constantly talk about us visiting and how wonderful the golfing community is there.

And to go back to the original post, I picked up some TackiMac arthritic grips yesterday afternoon. They are 3/32" oversize, close enough to the 1/8" oversize I use, but the main thing is, as Paul mentioned, the little nodules are hard and create a sensation to me that suggests I don't need to grip the club with as much force as I normally do with my usual Tour Satin style grips.

And Steve, I've heard of constant diameter grips, but never tried them. My problem is much more in my left hand, so I'm not sure how they would work for me. And my Orthopedist, who happens to be a good friend, is a damned tennis player who doesn't understand why anyone would hit a little ball into a gopher hole with a crooked stick. (He knows the Robin Williams comedy routine about golf way too well)

DennisMiller

HCP
Old Age
Local club/country
Killian Greens Golf Club
Irons
MX-1000
Driver
ST-180
I put the arthritic grips on the Cleveland set, but I'm going to buy more for the Mizunos. Here's a picture of the grip texture.

While my hand still hurts and I hope to see the doctor tomorrow, I'm probably going to the course on Monday no matter what. If it hurts to hit full shots, I'll just chip and putt to get a good feel for the grips.

They were a PITA to install. The grips are more rigid than ordinary rubber grips and it was extremely difficult to slide them onto the shafts, specially the driver with a bigger shaft butt than the irons. Fortunately, they don't have any graphit or pattern on them, so I didn't have to fight aligning anything.

IMG_4770.JPG

DennisMiller

HCP
Old Age
Local club/country
Killian Greens Golf Club
Irons
MX-1000
Driver
ST-180
I played 9 this morning with the arthritic grips on my Cleveland set and I really like these grips, arthritis or not.

And speaking of "not", x-rays today show very little arthritis. Somehow, I have a severe inflammation of the flexor tendons that's causing the pain. I have no idea why it happened, because I haven't injured myself or lifted something heavier than I should have. And that's not to mention, why in the world has it happened in both hands at the same time.

I'll be doing paraffin therapy a couple times a day in hopes it goes away. If it doesn't, the worst case scenario is surgery, but that's far off for now.

Top Bottom