What's your Mizuno story?

Joined
Jun 26, 2016
Location
Ellon
HCP
5
Local club/country
Murcar
Irons
Mizuno MP4 3-pw
Driver
TM Sldr
Hello from a newbie.

My Mizuno story started back in the mid 80's with a set of TP-9 irons. I then, as I still often do, move onto another brand but returned almost immediately with a set of Faldo ID. They stayed in the bag for quite a while, probably my longest surviving set.

Not long afterwards I went for a fitting with an independent, hoping to return to Mizuno but the numbers just didn't stack up. I've probably had half a dozen different fittings down the years, with different fitters, and each occasion got the same results. The spin rate with Mizzy irons was just too high.

Fast forward to a few weeks back and a visit to the local pro shop. The MP4 irons were just beautiful, and an impulse buy followed. I didn't even have a hit with them. A barely used set of MP4 irons with Project x 5.5 shafts are now in my bag. Unfortunately I've only managed a few gentle chips - currently out injured.
 

MvW

Well-Known Member
Joined
Mar 8, 2014
HCP
7.2
Local club/country
Edinburgh
Irons
Mizuno MP54
Driver
Titleist 915 D2
Welcome on board Hobbit. Great choice of irons.

Hope the injury clears up soon, had a few weeks off with back problems earlier this season. When you are back I highly recommend joining up for forum meets, hopefully see you there.

Noticed your home course, which I played a couple of weeks ago with my dad & we both loved it. I will definitely be returning. Stunning views with some great holes & a couple of quirky ones too & 1 of the friendliest clubs I've been to. Well worth a visit for anyone in the area, even with the other fine courses nearby.
 

zombie

Well-Known Member
Joined
Feb 3, 2012
HCP
15.9
Local club/country
Craigielaw - East Lothian
Hobbit said:
Hello from a newbie.

My Mizuno story started back in the mid 80's with a set of TP-9 irons. I then, as I still often do, move onto another brand but returned almost immediately with a set of Faldo ID. They stayed in the bag for quite a while, probably my longest surviving set.

Not long afterwards I went for a fitting with an independent, hoping to return to Mizuno but the numbers just didn't stack up. I've probably had half a dozen different fittings down the years, with different fitters, and each occasion got the same results. The spin rate with Mizzy irons was just too high.

Fast forward to a few weeks back and a visit to the local pro shop. The MP4 irons were just beautiful, and an impulse buy followed. I didn't even have a hit with them. A barely used set of MP4 irons with Project x 5.5 shafts are now in my bag. Unfortunately I've only managed a few gentle chips - currently out injured.
A big "furry boots" welcome to you Hobbit. I used to live in Pitmedden but that was about 3 decades ago now.... 

Why not join us on the 2017 Northern Forum event?? Great bunch of guys (and quinnes) and top facilities. 
 
Joined
Jun 26, 2016
Location
Ellon
HCP
5
Local club/country
Murcar
Irons
Mizuno MP4 3-pw
Driver
TM Sldr
zombie said:
Hobbit said:
Hello from a newbie.

My Mizuno story started back in the mid 80's with a set of TP-9 irons. I then, as I still often do, move onto another brand but returned almost immediately with a set of Faldo ID. They stayed in the bag for quite a while, probably my longest surviving set.

Not long afterwards I went for a fitting with an independent, hoping to return to Mizuno but the numbers just didn't stack up. I've probably had half a dozen different fittings down the years, with different fitters, and each occasion got the same results. The spin rate with Mizzy irons was just too high.

Fast forward to a few weeks back and a visit to the local pro shop. The MP4 irons were just beautiful, and an impulse buy followed. I didn't even have a hit with them. A barely used set of MP4 irons with Project x 5.5 shafts are now in my bag. Unfortunately I've only managed a few gentle chips - currently out injured.
A big "furry boots" welcome to you Hobbit. I used to live in Pitmedden but that was about 3 decades ago now.... 

Why not join us on the 2017 Northern Forum event?? Great bunch of guys (and quinnes) and top facilities. 
Have we played together before at Craigielaw? Jonathan?? 
 
Joined
Jul 5, 2012
HCP
17
Local club/country
Anywhere USA
Irons
Changes Every Season
Driver
Changes Every Season
MX 25-I won some Titleist products by giving a slogan to a website.  I traded a couple Fairway woods for a set of used Mizuno MX 25's.  Loved them.  Best irons that I've ever hit.  Swore up and down, that I would never trade them.  But had a weak moment and traded the set for Nike's.  Biggest mistake, I've made in golf clubs.  Just recently picked up a set of Mizuno JPX 850s (similar to the 25') with boron.  As quick as I hit them, I remembered the feel of the 25's.  

Keep em coming Mizuno.  
 

ruley

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jul 18, 2014
Location
Brisbane, Australia
HCP
11
Local club/country
Brookwater, Australia
Irons
JPX EZ 3W, JPX EZ 2&4H, 5-6 MP-H5, 7-P MP5, S5 50 54 58. On the bench 2-4 MP-H4, 4-G JPX 825 Pro
Driver
JPX 900, JPX 850 backup
Hi there,

Started with a couple of Hybrids in the early 2000's with me and Mizuno. Just over two years ago I joined a decent club to give golf a proper go, was only a now and them thing prior to that... anyhow, not long after joining I went and got fitted and the 825 Pro's came up as one of the options. Have had them in the bag for the last two years, have since added S5 wedges, JPX 850 driver and most recently JPX EZ 4 hybrid.

Heading in for another fitting this Thursday with the thought of moving to MP's, blending what ever gives me the best numbers out of the H5's, 25's and 5's.

Cheers,

Dean 
 

DGMP

Well-Known Member
Joined
Aug 10, 2016
HCP
2
Local club/country
United States
Irons
MP63 3-PW
Driver
JPX-EZ
1) a few years back made my first Mizuno brand purchases, which were baseball gear products for my son.

2) earlier this summer I made my first Mizuno golf product purchase, a set of MP5 irons.

3) I liked the MP5's so much I soon purchased a 2016 model JPX-EZ driver, plus 3 and 5 fairway metals.

4) I liked the MP5 irons and JPZ-EZ metal woods so much I then purchased a Mizuno MP-A306 putter

5) to hold the above clubs I have purchased both a Mizuno stand and cart bag.

6) to improve my on course appearance I now wear Mizuno branded pants and shirts.

7) for exercise walking I recently purchased a pair of  Mizuno Wave Unite 2 trainer shoes.
 

ruley

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jul 18, 2014
Location
Brisbane, Australia
HCP
11
Local club/country
Brookwater, Australia
Irons
JPX EZ 3W, JPX EZ 2&4H, 5-6 MP-H5, 7-P MP5, S5 50 54 58. On the bench 2-4 MP-H4, 4-G JPX 825 Pro
Driver
JPX 900, JPX 850 backup
DGMP said:
1) a few years back made my first Mizuno brand purchases, which were baseball gear products for my son.

2) earlier this summer I made my first Mizuno golf product purchase, a set of MP5 irons.

3) I liked the MP5's so much I soon purchased a 2016 model JPX-EZ driver, plus 3 and 5 fairway metals.

4) I liked the MP5 irons and JPZ-EZ metal woods so much I then purchased a Mizuno MP-A306 putter

5) to hold the above clubs I have purchased both a Mizuno stand and cart bag.

6) to improve my on course appearance I now wear Mizuno branded pants and shirts.

7) for exercise walking I recently purchased a pair of  Mizuno Wave Unite 2 trainer shoes.
WOW!.... However you haven't mentioned wedges, hat and belt... best be sorting that ;)
 

DGMP

Well-Known Member
Joined
Aug 10, 2016
HCP
2
Local club/country
United States
Irons
MP63 3-PW
Driver
JPX-EZ
ruley said:
DGMP said:
1) a few years back made my first Mizuno brand purchases, which were baseball gear products for my son.

2) earlier this summer I made my first Mizuno golf product purchase, a set of MP5 irons.

3) I liked the MP5's so much I soon purchased a 2016 model JPX-EZ driver, plus 3 and 5 fairway metals.

4) I liked the MP5 irons and JPZ-EZ metal woods so much I then purchased a Mizuno MP-A306 putter

5) to hold the above clubs I have purchased both a Mizuno stand and cart bag.

6) to improve my on course appearance I now wear Mizuno branded pants and shirts.

7) for exercise walking I recently purchased a pair of  Mizuno Wave Unite 2 trainer shoes.
WOW!.... However you haven't mentioned wedges, hat and belt... best be sorting that ;)
Now that you mention it....

1) I do not like the plastic emblems on the backside of Mizuno's current wedges, so I play Vokey.

2) I do have two Mizuno hats, one white, one black. Tech fabric with a metallic runbird logo.

3) I have a couple of the inexpensive, cut-to-size,  colorful fabric Mizuno golf belts.
 

wilkie113

New Member
Joined
Aug 25, 2016
Local club/country
United Kingdom
Irons
Mizuno MX15 3-SW
I have recently just picked up a second hand set of Mizuno clubs, and a stand bag for £60 after starting up playing again for the first time in 9 years.

The irons are MX15s, 3 - SW, and also came with a Driver and 3 wood.
Also came with an odyssey 2 ball, and a mizuno 0816 putter.
Picked up a 60 degree wedge separately.
 
Joined
Oct 14, 2016
Local club/country
Mass
Irons
MP 67's 3 - W : 52 & 58 MPR-12's
I started out with some Pings when I began golfing and then expanded my Ping collection.  I really like the feel of the BeCu clubs and then ended up trying some BeNi.  Such a better feeling than many big name clubs.
I read a lot of golf forums and golf related websites and got interested in Miura so I ended up grabbing a sweet set of MC102's.  Really nice clubs with a sweet feeling and a lot of feedback from them.  I have a few friends who have gamed Mizuno's and I had a few bucks burning a hole in my pocket so I thought I would try some Mizuno's because everyone talks about how buttery they feel.  That is how my Miura's feel to me. 
So after trying to decipher the naming convention on them I went to the store and hit what they had for used and new and only really liked the MP 5's.  They were not for sale so I started browsing the web and looking at the images of the heads and really liked the look of the MP 67's.  I ended up finding a nice set and got a pretty good deal on them.  I got 3 - W with new grips on them and DG S330 shafts.
I have put them in play twice now and really like them.  They have a really nice ball flight and they were going rocket straight or had a nice little draw to them.
The only odd thing was that they were 1, 2 & 4 degrees greater than my other clubs and I was hitting them a lot further with the same swing I always use.  I had to club down 1 to 2 clubs.  It was strange but I adjusted to it and I think I have them dialed in pretty good now.  Hope to get in a few more rounds before that ugly white stuff covers the ground.
 
Joined
Oct 14, 2016
Local club/country
Mass
Irons
MP 67's 3 - W : 52 & 58 MPR-12's
Hi Dennis! 
Funny to say but those do rhyme!  Good to see you over here as we are both playing Mizuno's now.
 

DennisMiller

Well-Known Member
Joined
Mar 25, 2014
Location
Miami, Florida
HCP
Old Age
Local club/country
Public Courses
Irons
JPX-900 Hot Metal
Driver
JPX-900
You're going to love it here. This is one of the nicest bunch of guys I've met on the web.

Show them some pictures of your old Pings and the Miuras.
 

Brattz

Well-Known Member
Joined
Nov 6, 2016
Location
Derby, Derbyshire
HCP
5.5 CONGU
Local club/country
Beeston Fields, England www.beestonfields.co.uk
Irons
Mizuno MP-25 4-PW
Driver
Titleist 915 D3 - Diamana S+ Blue 60S
First set of clubs were Pinseeker Blades in 1989 when I was 8 years old. Then moved onto Titleist DCI and then my first set of Mizuno's when I was 16. I had some Mizuno T-Zoid, then upgraded to the T-Zoid XV the T-Zoid forged and finally the Comp EZ.
After a few years experimenting firstly with Nike CCI's and then with Nike VR Pro Combo's I came back to Mizuno with the MP-54's and then now onto the MP-25's. Will probably never go away from Mizuno again.  
 

DennisMiller

Well-Known Member
Joined
Mar 25, 2014
Location
Miami, Florida
HCP
Old Age
Local club/country
Public Courses
Irons
JPX-900 Hot Metal
Driver
JPX-900
I was thinking about an aspect of this thread I can't remember seeing before.

Has anyone's Mizuno story CHANGED?

In my case, a simple thing like Mizuno's use of a lighter head on longer clubs created lots of opportunity for me to come up with a set of irons more properly fitted to me without being too heavy. It allowed me to go to graphite shafts in my irons and wedges with less experimentation and cost.

I guess all in all, it just made me feel more brand loyal than I was before, and that's hard to imagine.
 

MPX

Administrator
Staff member
Joined
Apr 7, 2009
HCP
12
Local club/country
UK
Irons
MP-H5 4-PW (C Taper Lite stiff), R-Series wedges (52/56)
Driver
JPX EZ 10.5 driver, JPX EZ 3 & 5 wood.
After reading all of these, we got Mr Faldo on camera telling his Mizuno story.  We'll post here on the 23/12/16 - assuming I can figure out how to embed the video.
 

Attachments

Deemac

Well-Known Member
Joined
May 15, 2009
HCP
4
Local club/country
Torrance House Golf Club EK
Irons
MP 69's
Driver
Mizuno JPX 850 Fujikura Orochi 60g Stiff
MPX said:
After reading all of these, we got Mr Faldo on camera telling his Mizuno story.  We'll post here on the 23/12/16 - assuming I can figure out how to embed the video.
C'mon MPX.... How many times do we need to tell you how to do that!!! :lol:
 

MPX

Administrator
Staff member
Joined
Apr 7, 2009
HCP
12
Local club/country
UK
Irons
MP-H5 4-PW (C Taper Lite stiff), R-Series wedges (52/56)
Driver
JPX EZ 10.5 driver, JPX EZ 3 & 5 wood.
A couple more Deemac.
 
Top Bottom