HCP
Old Age
Local club/country
Killian Greens Golf Club
Irons
MX-1000
Driver
ST-180
I've received a few questions from forum members about whether we are safely prepared for Hurricane Irma to come visiting this weekend.  I truly appreciate you thinking of us.

Right now it's a category 5 storm and it's expected to turn almost due north in the next couple days, pretty much covering all of south Florida. Current sustained winds are 185 mph with gusts to 230 mph, in other words a nice spring day for you hearty folks in the U.K.    ;-)

We have heavy duty shutters that bolt over all the windows and doors. They are all up with one exception by our kitchen, so we can bring inside some hanging plants from our orchid house before it goes up.

The cars are both filled with gas, but we don't have a garage, so they are going to sit outside with hopes nothing destroys them.

I volunteered for nearly 20 years with the Boy Scouts, so I have an extensive collection of camping equipment that is now my so called hurricane kit.

We have food, water, plenty of batteries for flashlights and portable radios.

Most importantly, I have plenty of dog food and treats for Hogan.

One thing I'll buy today is a battery powered cd player just so we can have music around here. I'll get ice today or tomorrow and stick it in 4 big food coolers I have.

The last thing to do is put my good guitars in their cases and lay them around the house, elevated off the ground in case we get water into the house. We're in a fairly high area for Miami, about 12' above sea level, so water will not flood up into the house, but mostly fall into it through roof leaks.

The biggest pain in the butt will be the likely loss of electricity for some period of time. Twenty-five years ago after Hurricane Andrew, it was 10 days before we got it back. Addicted as we are to the internet, the scariest thought is that I might have to do without it for some period of time.

Whether cell phones will work is 50/50.

The hurricane is expected to arrive Sunday morning and be over around the middle of Sunday night, provided nothing changes in terms of the current track. As such, I'll be around for the next couple days, but if I disappear, it's not because I don't love you crazy people. I'll be back soon enough...

Dennis

MPX

Administrator
Staff member
HCP
Local club/country
UK
Irons
JPX919 Hot Metal Pro 4-PW (C Taper Lite stiff), T20 wedges chrome - 50 / 56
Driver
ST-Z driver, ST200x 3wood, ST200x 5 wood
Best of luck Dennis - hope it goes easy on you.

Brattz

HCP
Pro
Local club/country
Derby Golf Centre
Irons
Mizuno JPX 919 Tour (4-PW) - Project X LZ 6.5 120g - 0.5° Flat - 1/2"+
Driver
Titleist TS3 - HC Project X LZ17 6.5 60g, 9.5°, A1 - 11g
On the bright side Dennis, Jose won't be allowed in to the US under trumps watch....

Halebopp

HCP
Local club/country
Lakeside Golf Vammala, Finland
Irons
MP-H5/53/4
Driver
MP-650/ST180
Stay safe and all the best to you and your family, Dennis!

DennisMiller

HCP
Old Age
Local club/country
Killian Greens Golf Club
Irons
MX-1000
Driver
ST-180
The most recent model suggests it might actually turn north and slightly east, but this thing has wobbled for days, so as big as it is, we're still going to get slammed. I suspect I won't have my regular Monday golf game.

Leftysaint1885

HCP
Local club/country
Stanton on the Wolds GC Nottinghamshire
Irons
Left hand MP-32 3-PW project X 5.5 ICY forged 51 / 57 wedges. Scotty Cameron circa 62 No 2
Driver
Lefthand 913 D2 9.5 Fubuki Z 50x5ct stiff, 910F 13.5 Fubuki 73x5ct stiff. 910F 19 Diamana Kai'listiff
Really hope it missed you. 

Best wishes that you stay safe. 

DCB

HCP
Local club/country
Midlothian, Scotland http://www.merchantsgolf.com
Irons
My ReHab Bag - Mizuno JPX 900 HM 5-GW A Shafts, JPX EX 4H, JPX 900 5 & 7 Wood Orochi RL Shafts.
Driver
JPX 900
Stay safe Dennis, seems to be a changing situation going by weather news we are getting here. All the best.

DennisMiller

HCP
Old Age
Local club/country
Killian Greens Golf Club
Irons
MX-1000
Driver
ST-180
Overnight, the direction of this hurricane has changed in a way that's good for me, but just horrible for the west coast of Florida. I need to call a fraternity brother in Cape Coral and make sure the crazy son of a gun has left town.

What really bothered me a little while ago was, I heard Hurricane Jose is now a category 4 storm and is on a direct path for Barbuda.

I don't know what those poor people on that once beautiful island did to piss off Mother Nature, but from this moment on, Mother Nature is definitely off my Christmas card list!!!

seanmor

HCP
WHS 18.0
Local club/country
Caprington Golf Club Kilmarnock
Irons
MIZUNO JPX921HM irons 5-PW
Driver
ST-X 230 12.0 deg N.S.Pro 950 GH Neo R flex shaft
DennisMiller wrote:Thanks.... We have up the shutters and everything is in plastic bags to protect it. I'm thinking about trying to find a hotel room just to keep from being in the house. I have a terrible feeling the roof is going to go since I already need a small repair over the front door.

More than anything I'm hating about this hurricane coming on Sunday is, I know I won't have my usual Monday morning golf game.Hi Dennis,

just been on the Live feed Web-cam that overlooks the Marina at the Coconut Grove in Miami Florida
and the weather looks to be getting extremely ferocious..! :shock: 

I do do hope you are all safe

John.

hursty

HCP
Local club/country
No Fixed Abode
Irons
MP-33 2-PW, MP T-7 52 & 58 wedges
Driver
Cobra Encore ZL F1 Stiff, 913F 3W - Ahina XStiff, Odyssey #7CS
Hope you've not suffered too much damage & disruption Dennis, look forward to reading more ramblings :)

Stewart 57

HCP
Local club/country
Egersund Golf Club, Norway
Irons
Mizuno MP 64, 4,5,6 & 7- PW. MP T7 ,50,54,&58 dgr, wedges, Mizuno A, 309 Putter,
Driver
St200 driver, MP650 3 wood, JPX 800, hybrid,
Hope everything is all well Dennis. and that you are safe and sound...

hursty

HCP
Local club/country
No Fixed Abode
Irons
MP-33 2-PW, MP T-7 52 & 58 wedges
Driver
Cobra Encore ZL F1 Stiff, 913F 3W - Ahina XStiff, Odyssey #7CS
All, just got the following message from Dennis that he's asked me to pass on:

"Paul... If you can receive this, please tell the guys we are OK. Lots of severe damage to trees and fences, but the house is fine. No electricity for undetermined time... thus no router until we can get to someone with power and connect to their network. Thanks..."

Hursty.

PaulBoy

HCP
WHS 7.0
Local club/country
Army GC Hampshire
Irons
Mizuno MP-20 MMC (4-AW) Modus3 105s
Driver
TM Stealth II MRC Tensei Orange 50s
Good to hear that Dennis - It looks like total carnage on the news, god willing you won't have too much damage to repair when you get home?
Paul

OhBoy!

HCP
Local club/country
Soft. South. Suburbia.
Irons
MP 53 5-PW Phoenix. Titleist SM6 50/54/58 deg.; Ray Cook SR 500
Driver
JPX 900 driver & 3 wood; CLK 19 & 22 deg.
Good to hear that Dennis. It will take time but I'm sure your community will pull together to help all in need. Let us know how you're getting on.

Halebopp

HCP
Local club/country
Lakeside Golf Vammala, Finland
Irons
MP-H5/53/4
Driver
MP-650/ST180
That's great news! 

Celtic_Bil

HCP
Local club/country
Hunley Hotel & Golf Club, North Yorkshire
Irons
MP18SC/MP5/MP54
Driver
JPX850
Good to hear the family are ok and the home is fine.  Hope there's not too much damage outside!

DennisMiller

HCP
Old Age
Local club/country
Killian Greens Golf Club
Irons
MX-1000
Driver
ST-180
OK - You guys are REALLY in trouble now. I'm back...

When we came home this morning from our friend's house, where we've been sucking up her air conditioning, I noticed my yard light was on. WE GOT POWER BACK!

I've spent the last 3 hours trying to make a dent in straightening up. I took the shutters off the windows, but I'll need help with the longer ones on the sliding glass doors.

We had a little food spoilage, but not so much.

Here's the next project. I have to cut up the fallen part and put the pieces by the curb for the county to pick up sooner or later. Looking inside where the tree is broken, there's this weird gray area that could be rot and the curve of how it's broken away leaves only a couple inches thick trunk for the rest of the tree. I think I'm going to have it taken down.

Unfortunately, the two trees that matter, my mango and avocado trees, were severly damaged. I need a professional to tell me what's best to rescue them.

We found 2 roofing shingles in the yard. Nothing in the house seems to leak so far, so we don't know if they came from our house or not.

PaulBoy

HCP
WHS 7.0
Local club/country
Army GC Hampshire
Irons
Mizuno MP-20 MMC (4-AW) Modus3 105s
Driver
TM Stealth II MRC Tensei Orange 50s
Good to hear you are safe & well Dennis - Doesn't appear that you have been hit too hard either, which is also good - Look forward to hearing your regular ramblings again ... Paul

OhBoy!

HCP
Local club/country
Soft. South. Suburbia.
Irons
MP 53 5-PW Phoenix. Titleist SM6 50/54/58 deg.; Ray Cook SR 500
Driver
JPX 900 driver & 3 wood; CLK 19 & 22 deg.
Keep smiling!

DennisMiller

HCP
Old Age
Local club/country
Killian Greens Golf Club
Irons
MX-1000
Driver
ST-180
Compared to what we were prepared for, we were extremely lucky. I can't say that for a lot of other places in the Keys or up the west coast of Florida.

This afternoon, I cut up about 3/4 of the tree in the above picture. I know someone above loves me because it started to rain, giving me the rest of the afternoon off.

My body hurts so much right now that I couldn't putt, much less swing a club.

Top Bottom