Opinions About Waste Management Phoenix Tournament?

DennisMiller

HCP
Old Age
Local club/country
Killian Greens Golf Club
Irons
MX-1000
Driver
ST-180
How does everyone feel about the very different social dynamic promoted at the Waste Management tournament? I see some pros who appear irritated over the spectators throwing bottles and cans onto the course, shouting while they are hitting a shot and all that. Other players seem to embrace it.

Personally, I don't think I like it. Maybe I'm too old fashioned, but it just bugs me.

PaulBoy

HCP
WHS 7.0
Local club/country
Army GC Hampshire
Irons
Mizuno MP-20 MMC (4-AW) Modus3 105s
Driver
TM Stealth II MRC Tensei Orange 50s
I agree with you Dennis, but don't think you are being "old fashioned" - Sad thing here in the UK is that Sky, who cover the golf are still showing footage of the hole in one from last year when the 20,000 drunks through their beer cans & other stuff onto the course - So great for TV but a disgrace to genuine golf fans imho - Maybe this is what happens at other sporting events in the US? (baseball & football?) - There has always been an issue with "sports fans" going to US golf tournaments & having no idea what acceptable behaviour is? - Screaming "get in the hole!" & "mashed potatoes!" etc - Maybe it's a generation thing & younger golf fans find it acceptable? - I will continue to only watch US golf & The Phoenix Open in particular, with the sound muted & some nice music on my earbuds!

Br1an_g

HCP
Local club/country
Downfield
Irons
Srixon ZX5 mk2 4-gw Nippon modus NS pro 105x
Driver
Callaway rogue st max 9.5 fujikura vista pro 65s,
I don't mind the cheering around 16 but throwing stuff on the course or shouting mid swing is just disrespectful to the players and the course in my opinion and shouldn't be encouraged.

HAIRY ESSEX BLOKE

HCP
Local club/country
Fabulous Frinton on Sea ESSEX
Irons
MP53 4-PW MPT 10 51 & 54 deg various fairways & hybrids plus MX23, MP18MMC, MMC hi fli CLK hybrids T7 wedges
Driver
Mizuno MX700 JPX EZ ,GT & ST180 & ST180G
How does everyone feel about the very different social dynamic promoted at the Waste Management tournament? I see some pros who appear irritated over the spectators throwing bottles and cans onto the course, shouting while they are hitting a shot and all that. Other players seem to embrace it.

Personally, I don't think I like it. Maybe I'm too old fashioned, but it just bugs me.
With you 100%

DennisMiller

HCP
Old Age
Local club/country
Killian Greens Golf Club
Irons
MX-1000
Driver
ST-180
While I didn't see people throwing things on the course, the level of drunken high volume activity at the Honda Classic grandstands last weekend were similar to Phoenix. I hate to sound like an old stick in the mud, but i hope this isn't a trend. I used to complain about Augusta National having rules about how the "patrons" could act, where they could be or not be, and how they wanted the on tv look to appear. Maybe they were on to something I appreciate more now.

Top Bottom