HCP
Local club/country
Sunny California
Irons
MacGregor / MT Pro CM / 3-PW :: Mizuno / JPX 800 Pro / 3-PW
Driver
Callaway / Diablo Edge Tour / 8.5 X Habanero
Hi folks,

I wanted to get your opinions on these new hot face irons when dealing with feel shots like chips and pitches. I recently acquired a used set of JPX Pro's 3-PW and found it very difficult to chip with the PW. The lofts are only 2' stronger than my MacGregor MT Pro's so I figured it the hot face causing the ball to fly off the face. I love using my PW for the short stuff and only carry a 56' wedge which is for bunkers only.

It's only been a week so I'm still adjusting to it but am now wondering if this isn't a problem with the MP-53? The JPX line hits long, but maybe 'too' long if that's that right description.

Anyone else have this experience?

BigPete

HCP
Local club/country
Ruthin and Pwllglas
Have you consideder a gap wedge?

It appears you have a 10* gap between pw and sw anyway which is rather large. I'm guessing you choose to do this because you like to "manufacture" different styles of shots out of the sw and choke down on the pw.

In this instance the jpx pw may indeed be a little hotter than you're used to on feel shots. I too have experienced quite stark differences in this area of feel around the greens that is rarely discussed in iron reviews.

A gap wedge of around 50* - 52* would seem the obvious solution. Personally I have found this kind of loft to be perfect for chipping. And you could choose one specifically for chipping and make it as soft forged and spinny as you like (mpt11 perhaps)

Deemac

HCP
Local club/country
Torrance House Golf Club EK
Irons
MP 69's
Driver
Mizuno JPX 850 Fujikura Orochi 60g Stiff
You say in your post that you are struggling with "chip" shots. I take it you are refferring to the little green side chips???

If so - I would not think that the "hot face" you refer to plays a role when hitting the ball this softly!! The hot face would only come into play on full shots.

So...... I don't think it's anything to do with the "hot face", just a little adjustment in technique required.

D.

luc

HCP
Local club/country
Frinton
Irons
Jpx800 Pro 4 -PW Wedges MPT11 50,56 MPR12 60; Scotty Kombi S
Driver
Titleist 910D2 9.5 F1 Motore reg; TM R11s 3 Wood
I tend to agree as I have found that the ball seems to spring off the face of the JPXpros compared to my previous MP57s. I have been using them for about a month now and am still coming to terms with this feature. I have now got a 50 gap wedge to fill the 45-56 lofts of my PW - SW and I am using the 50 for most of my chipping.

reg

HCP
Local club/country
Australia
Irons
MP-60, 5-pw, MP-T10, 52, 56, 60
This is exactly why I hate 45* or less PW's. Perfect example of why PW's should be no less than 47.

Get a gap wedge and lob wedge, your short game will improve just by being able to play so many shots.

HCP
Local club/country
Bremen, Germany
Well I have tested my new JPX 800 pro PW with 45° last weekend and share the opinion that the club face is a bit hotter, in this case than my Ben Hogan Apex FTX 46° PW.

However, trying pitches (app 40 mts. around the green) I noticed the ball flight to be as high as with the BH's but the ball went faster from the club face, was a little bit longer in flight but stopped much faster on the green.

The same but more evident with short chips around the green. When I hit both clubs with the same swing radius and swing speed, the ball flight with the BH's was shorter with more roll while the ball flight with the 800 pro's was a little bit longer but with less roll and more backspin.

I fact I love it this way and believe it will improve my (not so bad) short game next season. :)

Top Bottom