MP53s - Angels or Devils?

Northampton John

HCP
Local club/country
England
Irons
Mizuno/MP53s/Nippon NS Pro 1150 GH Tour Stiff 5-PW, Mizuno MP T10s 52, 56 and 60
Driver
Titleist 910 D2
I currently play with MX200s, which are great, but I have a bit of a problem in that they sometimes look a little on the chunky side.

Thanks to my fantastic local golf shop I've been on the launch monitor, had my swing DNA analysed and have tried the MP53s - and am hitting them very nicely. I want to change essentially because the MP53s look so good, however I'm a little nervous that my golfing dreams could turn into a nightmare if the MPs turn out to be harder to hit than I'm currently finding at the range.

I think that basically my fears come from the MP tag - something I've always aspired to but have been a bit in awe of.

Has anyone made the leap from MX to MP in this way - how did it go?

MaxBellotto

HCP
Local club/country
Roodepoort Country Club, South Africa
Irons
MP58 DG R300 Shafts (4-PW), MP CLK Hybrid, MP Titanium 3 Wood
Driver
Ping Rapture 9` Stiff Shaft
I am sure I read somewhere that the MP53 has a larger sweet spot than the MX300...That would make it more forgiving than a MX iron

mjtoal

HCP
Local club/country
Bearwood Lakes, Berkshire
Irons
Mizuno MP4, C-taper S
Driver
Tirtleist 913D3, Oban Devotion
The MP53 is probably not as forgiving as the MX200, but they are still a very playable and user friendly set. You are a 10 handicapper, which is a decent standard, so if you have demoed them and found a suitable shaft, and you like the way the 53s perform, I would not be reluctant to go for them. I went from 62s to 68s and don't regret it at all.

Deemac

HCP
Local club/country
Torrance House Golf Club EK
Irons
MP 69's
Driver
Mizuno JPX 850 Fujikura Orochi 60g Stiff
Stop worrying - get yourself a set of 53's.

As long as you get fitted on the Swing DNA equipment and get the correct shaft, you won't regret it...

That's a Deemac Guarantee ;-)

D.

ChuckD

HCP
Local club/country
Sydney
Irons
MP59 KBS Tour, MP T4 50, MP-T10 54, MP-T 58
Driver
Callaway Octane Tour 9.5 ProLaunch Red Xstiff
I have 200's too, and if I was in a position to change, 53's would be at the top of the list. They have a lower more penetrating ball flight, and although probably not longer than the 200's in normal conditions, would be better if the wind was up. They are a very nice looking club at address and do make the 200's appear chunky, but I came from a set of big bertha clones, so when I got them, they looked extremely small. I cant see them making me score better though. If you are not swinging well, no club is going to work and I have been sub par during a few of my rounds recently so I know they are getting the job done when Im playing well. At the end of the day, they would appear to be the natural progression, and would put them in the Angel category.

mengle

HCP
Local club/country
US
Irons
mp-53 4-PW
Driver
Ping G15
Ok...I can comment because I just made the move from 200's to MP-53's. Had my first time at the range today and here are my thoughts:

- The MX-200's are more forgiving....but not by alot. Even on some mis-hits, I still got very good distance and was not penalized terribly.

- The MP-53's DEFINITELY feel better when hit on the sweet spot. Very smooooth.

- Love the looks of the MP53's. I was always bothered by the 200's and the "chunkiness" of the lower scoring irons.. Beautiful on the 53's.

- Now for the part that will take some adjusting to (can you say mental). Looking down at the 4 iron on the 53's made me hestiate because of the thinner topline, etc. But, after a few good strikes, my confidence went up big time.

Bottom line....I am extremely happy with the move. I know only time on the range will help me get used to the new set and setup because visually, there is a very big differance than what my eyes were used to seeing.

So....Angels.....but with range time!

Mizo

HCP
-
Local club/country
Efteling, Netherlands
Irons
18° MP FLi-Hi/MP-57/3-PW/PX 5.5, MP-T/56-10/R300
Driver
MX-560/9.5/Proforce V2S 66g
Deemac said:
That's a Deemac Guarantee ;-)
I wonder when the first person will go to a Mizuno retailer and flat out ask 'does it come with a Deemac Guarantee?'.

As for the MP53, I have yet to see them appear in stores here.
Probably wont be till some demoday next year that I'll get a go at them.

MPX

Administrator
Staff member
HCP
Local club/country
UK
Irons
JPX919 Hot Metal Pro 4-PW (C Taper Lite stiff), T20 wedges chrome - 50 / 56
Driver
ST-Z driver, ST200x 3wood, ST200x 5 wood
Keep in mind that you can drop the 4 iron and go with an MP Fli-Hi instead. From 5 iron up the 53 would be a pretty manageable set of irons.

Deemac

HCP
Local club/country
Irons
MP 69's
Driver
MPX said:
Keep in mind that you can drop the 4 iron and go with an MP Fli-Hi instead. From 5 iron up the 53 would be a pretty manageable set of irons.
+1

Great suggestion!! I have Fli Hi Clk replacements for both the 3 iron and 4 iron on my set of 67's - works a treat!!

D.

Northampton John

HCP
Local club/country
England
Irons
Mizuno/MP53s/Nippon NS Pro 1150 GH Tour Stiff 5-PW, Mizuno MP T10s 52, 56 and 60
Driver
Titleist 910 D2
Tried the MP53s again yesterday on a launch monitor - shot by shot they were so much better than my MX200s - I think I find them easier to hit?

I am also hitting the ball higher, (I've had a problem hitting low historically), which is brilliant for me.

I'm definitely getting them and will be a fully paid up member of the MP club.

Awesome!

Deemac

HCP
Local club/country
Irons
MP 69's
Driver
Northampton John said:
Tried the MP53s again yesterday on a launch monitor - shot by shot they were so much better than my MX200s - I think I find them easier to hit?

I am also hitting the ball higher, (I've had a problem hitting low historically), which is brilliant for me.

I'm definitely getting them and will be a fully paid up member of the MP club.

Awesome!
I told you not to worry... ;-)

Welcome to the Fold!!!

D.

Top Bottom