Mixed sets

HCP
Local club/country
Mayfair Lakes
Irons
Mizuno/MP60/3-pw
Driver
Ping/G5/10.5
Is it unusual to mix mixuno irons? i.e I'm thinking of getting the MP 52 4-6 and MP 57 7-PW. You don't see other manufacturers doing this but I was just wondering if this would be a good idea or not.

thanks
Jim

MPX

Administrator
Staff member
HCP
Local club/country
UK
Irons
JPX919 Hot Metal Pro 4-PW (C Taper Lite stiff), T20 wedges chrome - 50 / 56
Driver
ST-Z driver, ST200x 3wood, ST200x 5 wood
Some of the R&D guys are not overkeen on mixing sets - because they work so hard on getting the flow correct between the clubs - offset, trajectory ect.

However, it is an option we offer and as it started becoming more common place - the MP-62 and MP-52 were designed with this in mind.

If you're going for more feel and control in the shorter irons, you might as well go all the way and combine with the 62's rather than 57's. Then you really do have the correct tools at the right end of the bag.

HCP
Local club/country
Mayfair Lakes
Irons
Mizuno/MP60/3-pw
Driver
Ping/G5/10.5
That sounds like a good idea, are the MP 62's any more forgiving then the 60's? The reason why I ask is that I'm considering new clubs and want to find something more forgiving then my MP 60's
thanks
jim

MPX

Administrator
Staff member
HCP
Local club/country
UK
Irons
JPX919 Hot Metal Pro 4-PW (C Taper Lite stiff), T20 wedges chrome - 50 / 56
Driver
ST-Z driver, ST200x 3wood, ST200x 5 wood
No the 62's have a shallower cavity than the 60. If anything they are likely to be a little less forgiving on miss-hits, but better for shaping shots.

The 52 is more forgiving than the 60 right through the set. There's no set place to break the set up - could even be at the 8 iron. So could play 52's right through to 7 iron if forgiveness is what you're looking for.

If you want to go a step further, you could look at the MP Fli-Hi in the longer irons. Most of the pro's are using these instead of 2 irons now. For an amateur, the 3 iron is a good switch.

Deemac

HCP
Local club/country
Torrance House Golf Club EK
Irons
MP 69's
Driver
Mizuno JPX 850 Fujikura Orochi 60g Stiff
What I did was start my set with Fli Hi Clk's - then started my irons from 5 - PW.

Brilliant decision for my game!!

I have a...

17 degree Clk - 5 wood replacement
20 degree Clk - 3 iron replacement
23 degree Clk - 4 iron replacement

It has made an awesome difference to my long game! My knees no longer knock when faced with anything between 175 and 220 yards!

HCP
Local club/country
Mayfair Lakes
Irons
Mizuno/MP60/3-pw
Driver
Ping/G5/10.5
Nice idea, I'll give the MP Fli Hi's a test run.

thanks all

HCP
Local club/country
Ulriksdal GK, Sweden
Irons
MP52
Driver
MX700
EDIT: OT. Sorry Jvasto.

Hi Deemac,
please answer a beginners question;

"17 degree Clk - 5 wood replacement"

What is the benefit of replacing a 5 wood (beeing a metal wood I suppose) with a hybrid such as the 17 degree Clk as you say. I am just keen to learn more. Is it easier to get the ball high?

Anders

anchorpags

Local club/country
USA
Irons
Mizuno MP-29 / Mizuno MX-300 / MP T-10 Black Satin 64-07
Driver
Mizuno MP-600 / Putter / Mizuno Bettinardi BC6 & BC7
Mizuno pushes the idea.. Checkout their catalog, they have some recommendations in it..

I have used Mixed Sets for years (Cavity and Blade). I normally purchase both sets then mix and match as my game (Swing) requires during the season.

The only bad part is... well nothing.. The great part is _ I can make choices depending on my needs..

Top Bottom