HCP
WHS 7.0
Local club/country
Army GC Hampshire
Irons
Mizuno MP-20 MMC (4-AW) Modus3 105s
Driver
TM Stealth II MRC Tensei Orange 50s
Hi David ... Sorry to hear about Mrs DBD's injury woes, but glad to hear she is kicking a$$ again with her bag of Mizzies! :)

DennisMiller

HCP
Old Age
Local club/country
Killian Greens Golf Club
Irons
MX-1000
Driver
ST-180
I have to admit I'm really enjoying a bit of good play, absolutely out of the blue. I hit every fairway and 7 out of 9 greens today. Putting on the aerated greens, which haven't healed well at all, was still difficult and I shot 39. What was nicest was, this was on the much more difficult side at Killian Greens.

Last edited:

DCB

HCP
Local club/country
Midlothian, Scotland http://www.merchantsgolf.com
Irons
My ReHab Bag - Mizuno JPX 900 HM 5-GW A Shafts, JPX EX 4H, JPX 900 5 & 7 Wood Orochi RL Shafts.
Driver
JPX 900
Well, in near perfect condition, warm, still and a fast running course our Club Championship Finals took place today. MrsDCB was out and after a fast start by her opponent found herself 4 down after 8 holes. Local knowledge came into play over the back nine. MrsDCB dug in deep and turned things around by the 15th to go all square. Wins at 16 & 17 sealed a 2 & 1 win. golfchamp.jpg

Br1an_g

HCP
Local club/country
Downfield
Irons
Srixon ZX5 mk2 4-gw Nippon modus NS pro 105x
Driver
Callaway rogue st max 9.5 fujikura vista pro 65s,
Congrats mrsdcb. Great result.

Halebopp

HCP
Local club/country
Lakeside Golf Vammala, Finland
Irons
MP-H5/53/4
Driver
MP-650/ST180
Hi everyone!

I haven't been here in a while but I thought you might find my front nine from today rather interesting. :D

1689363938611.png

DennisMiller

HCP
Old Age
Local club/country
Killian Greens Golf Club
Irons
MX-1000
Driver
ST-180
IT'S THE BIG BOPPER!!!

The way I count it, there's 2 ones on the second hole. 1 + 1 = 2, so nice! Two birdies in a row. That 34 will look pretty good to the handiap committee.

Halebopp

HCP
Local club/country
Lakeside Golf Vammala, Finland
Irons
MP-H5/53/4
Driver
MP-650/ST180
IT'S THE BIG BOPPER!!!

The way I count it, there's 2 ones on the second hole. 1 + 1 = 2, so nice! Two birdies in a row. That 34 will look pretty good to the handiap committee.
The green of the 120-metre par 3 desperately needs to be blown up. The whole green is a one big slope, mostly over 2º. My tee shot landed short of the green in a bunker with a front hole location. I got the ball onto the green from the bunker only to watch it roll back into the bunker thrice. The fourth time it stopped in the rough but then my chip shot rolled back into the bunker...

DennisMiller

HCP
Old Age
Local club/country
Killian Greens Golf Club
Irons
MX-1000
Driver
ST-180
That sounds like a course I played in Gilroy, California some years ago. Eagle Ridge had just hosted a U.S. Open qualifier and i got to play there on the Tuesday after it. The greens were ridiculous, faster than anything I had ever played and with slopes that were insane. I had 3 putts uphill roll back to my feet and beyond. I really didn't think it was fair.

They also had grass about a foot tall as perimeters around most of the bunkers. I hit 11 fairways and 10 greens, but still shot 99.

This is a pic I took from the fairway, trying to decide how to miss the green to the right, because if I hit the green on the left side, it was going to roll down that hill and miss the green to the right anyway.
Eagle Ridge.JPG

Last edited:

DennisMiller

HCP
Old Age
Local club/country
Killian Greens Golf Club
Irons
MX-1000
Driver
ST-180
I played 9 thismorning in 90*, 66% humidity weather. I was thankful the humidity was about 30% lower than the forecast. With one birdie and three bogeys, I shot a 38, one of my better scores of late.

Using my old MP-H4 irons, i was sprised how well I guessed the irons needed for my distances, considering I've gotten used to stronger lofts with the PRGR set. Needless to say, the old forged set felt great too.

DennisMiller

HCP
Old Age
Local club/country
Killian Greens Golf Club
Irons
MX-1000
Driver
ST-180
What I should say to answer the question of how did I do, is to say "I survived"... Yesterday was 96*, 80% humidity, 112* heat index... Hitting the ball became less important than driving the cart in circles to maintain a breeze in my face.

late yesterday afternoon, I got a recorded message from CVS, (big drug store chain), and it was followed by an article from the AARP, (Association for the advancement of retired persons), warning about how high heat compromises certain drugs us old farts take. My virtual reality golf game is looking better and better.

I can't help but remember pictures of Ken Venturi winning the U.S. Open and having ice packs around his neck to cool him down.

tomvk77

HCP
Local club/country
GC de Koepel, netherlands
Irons
Mizuno JPX 921 Forged KBS Tour Stiff 4-pw
Driver
Callaway Rogue ST Max LS 10.5 set to 9.5
My game finally getting together. I play on a par 70 course. After i switched to my 223's i shot 79 first out. 76 second round, and today i shot 70. My hdc dropped down massive to a 5.8. So happy it finally came together, was breeding on a low round for some time. Insane there is still a few holes i should have done better. But on the other hand a had 2 insane up and downs for par to compensate for those 2 3 putts.

PaulBoy

HCP
WHS 7.0
Local club/country
Army GC Hampshire
Irons
Driver
My game finally getting together. I play on a par 70 course. After i switched to my 223's i shot 79 first out. 76 second round, and today i shot 70. My hdc dropped down massive to a 5.8. So happy it finally came together, was breeding on a low round for some time. Insane there is still a few holes i should have done better. But on the other hand a had 2 insane up and downs for par to compensate for those 2 3 putts.
That's some improvement! - Well done & keep up the good work - As a 223 user perhaps you could check out the thread from someone asking for advice on them? - It's in the Equipment forum
Paul

Br1an_g

HCP
Local club/country
Downfield
Irons
Driver
Royal Aberdeen open today in some pretty windy conditions. Finished 16 over which I was reasonably happy with. Great course and another top 10 Scottish course ticked off the list. £75 for the open entry which included soup and sandwiches so great value as well.

DCB

HCP
Local club/country
Midlothian, Scotland http://www.merchantsgolf.com
Irons
My ReHab Bag - Mizuno JPX 900 HM 5-GW A Shafts, JPX EX 4H, JPX 900 5 & 7 Wood Orochi RL Shafts.
Driver
JPX 900
That's not a bad deal for playing that course in a competitive environment.

PaulBoy

HCP
WHS 7.0
Local club/country
Army GC Hampshire
Irons
Driver
Royal Aberdeen open today in some pretty windy conditions. Finished 16 over which I was reasonably happy with. Great course and another top 10 Scottish course ticked off the list. £75 for the open entry which included soup and sandwiches so great value as well.
Sounds like a great deal to play there? - Many moons ago I played in a Police tournament next door at Murcar GC - Cracking course as best I remember, but on the North Sea, so always windy & very cold - We played there in the first week of June & I didn't have enough golf clothes with me to keep warm!

Robbo016

HCP
Local club/country
Saunton / Puckrup Hall GC
Irons
MP64's 3-5 MP5 6-Pw +0.5" 2 degs up Tour Modus 105 S Scotty SM9Wedges 50, 54 & 60 Scotty putter 3-3-3-5
Driver
Taylormade Stealth 2+ Fujikura Ventus S-75
Played both Royal Aberdeen and Murcar, fantastic courses separated on links coast land by a small white fence from memory… There are some absolute gems north of the border…

DennisMiller

HCP
Old Age
Local club/country
Killian Greens Golf Club
Irons
MX-1000
Driver
ST-180
I was teased last night, during a conversation about American politics, that being the avid golfer i am, maybe i should move to Scotland. My wife looked at me to see my reaction and I think she was distressed to see a smile on my face, that I was seriously considering it. I hate what's happening in Florida in particular, America in general, but where can one go to avoid it and enjoy old age?

Having recently read George Peper's book about his 2 year move to St Andrews, (St Andrews Sojourn), it sounds like a lifestyle i could truly love. I know my wife wouldn't like to be that far away from our son in Jamaica and daughter in North Carolina, but I can dream, can't I?

DennisMiller

HCP
Old Age
Local club/country
Killian Greens Golf Club
Irons
MX-1000
Driver
ST-180
I played 9 holes yesterday morning. It was right after a brief rain and the humidity was insane, but in reality, the temperatures have been coming down slowly and I'm looking forward to the short time of year in Miami when I can handle 18 holes without my body giving out on me.

I shot 40 on the tougher front nine at Killian Greens, but as usual, my game exhibited its multiple personalities. One day, I'll hit fairways and greens, but maybe I'll putt like a spastic gorilla. Other days I might hit my driver poorly, make up for it with brilliant iron play, or my chipping and putting saves me.

Yesterday was weird, sort of an odd combination of good driving, poor iron play and good putting. I think of any combination, if I putt well and save par occasionally, it keeps me sane more than any other combination.

Going back to the first paragraph, I've been having some serious physical issues with the heat and humidity. The heat index in Miami has been around 90-100 degrees every day for months and the humidity is usually around 75% or higher. I haven't even been able to get through 9 holes without my ears plugging up, my neck and back suddenly stiffening up, but mostly an inability to recover afterwards.

A 9 hole game is about a 5-6 hour effort, after I come home, clean up, need a nap and finally reach a point where I don't feel any more ill effects. I've been using Powerade and bananas on the course to stay hydrated and balance my potassium and electrolytes. My doctor found nothing in recent blood labs to suggest a vitamin or mineral deficiency, but he did suggest using coconut water as the best way to hydrate and recover electrolytes. There is the possibility he's researching about poor heat tolerance being a side effect of some medications I take, but of them all, there's only 2 I would consider stopping or changing. I'd hate to think I have nothing left but to be a 9 hole golfer for about 10 months of the year, but right now, that's a lot more important to me than what I shoot.

Br1an_g

HCP
Local club/country
Downfield
Irons
Driver
Craigmillar park in Edinburgh on Saturday. Shot a 78 which is my lowest of the year but also an easy track so the differential was 11.7 . Highlight was par 4 13th , hit 17 hybrid leaving about 80 yards in. Duff my chip about 10 yards then Chip in for birdie. Stupid game. 😂

Top Bottom