Mizunomarty

HCP
Local club/country
Cleveland/England
Irons
Mizuno MP54 5-PW Dynalite Gold S300 1"+ MP-T4 56 & 60 Wedges Krakatoa Putter
Driver
Mizuno JPX850 Driver,JPX825 Hybrid 19 stiff
What are everyone's opinion of the type of golf ball to use on a windy links course?

Deemac

HCP
Local club/country
Torrance House Golf Club EK
Irons
MP 69's
Driver
Mizuno JPX 850 Fujikura Orochi 60g Stiff
I tend to use the same ball for EVERY round regardless of the conditions, however, in theory - a hard, low spin ball should work best - for two reasons...

1) The wind will exacerbate any spin that is put on the ball, therefore any side spin will result in a big hook or slice, and any backspin will send the ball up up and away,

2) The trick with links golf is to keep it low and "run it in" to the green, therefore a high spin "drop and stop" ball would be useless for this kind of play.

Just my 2p worth...

D.

BTW - I've just realised that I've described a Dunlop DDH!!! lol :)

ChuckD

HCP
Local club/country
Sydney
Irons
MP59 KBS Tour, MP T4 50, MP-T10 54, MP-T 58
Driver
Callaway Octane Tour 9.5 ProLaunch Red Xstiff
I try to play with the same ball too, but I find backing off just a little with a driver into the wind helps. Trying to smash it through the wind just doesnt work for me. It generates too much spin. So I hold back just a little and try to hit it inside out with a tiny draw.

I used Vision golf balls a few time this year to try them out and found they were very good into the wind, but did not suit my game everywhere else.

RobB

Local club/country
Shropshire
Irons
MX300 4-PW Project X 6.0 ,MPT 10 50 , 56 bent to 55,60,.All 2 Deg up .
Driver
Mizuno MX 700 10.5 Aldila VS Proto Stifff.TM R9 TP 13 deg 3 wood Stiff Matrix Ozik HD6 .JPX 19 deg HybridStiff Fubuki 2 deg upPing Anser 2 Karsten 1959 2deg loft 2 deg flat 33" putter
I've been using Taylor Made Black for the last year ,since i won 12 dozen in a competition and have found them to be very good in a headwind,sidewind etc.Going back to the previous posts.This is a lower spinning ball.You could try Pro v1x,z star x etc.I would also say that if most of your golf is played on links courses,it would make sense to have the correct shafts etc.

Mizo

HCP
-
Local club/country
Efteling, Netherlands
Irons
18° MP FLi-Hi/MP-57/3-PW/PX 5.5, MP-T/56-10/R300
Driver
MX-560/9.5/Proforce V2S 66g
I've tried the Nike Power Distance Long, Black and Platinum.
They all play nice in windy conditions.

According to :
http://www.usga.org/ConformingGolfBall/gball_list.pdf

They all are low spin with a driver, the PD Long is low spin with irons as well, while the other 2 are medium.

Funny how all Mizuno balls are rated medium for both.

Logie

HCP
Local club/country
Fleetwood GC/UK http://www.fleetwoodgolf.co.uk/
Irons
Mizuno MP Fli H4 3 & 4 Irons; MP64 5 - PW irons; MP T-10 52 & 58 deg wedges all with NS Pro 1150 G stiff shafts: MP650 22 degree hybrid regular Orochi shaft.
Driver
JPX 850 10.5 degrees: Fujikura Motore Speeder VC6.3 Stiff.
Watched GMac win the Andulicia Masters at Valderama this afternoon. He was singing the praises of his Callaway, saying it flew through the wind too well!!!

Top Bottom