HCP
Old Age
Local club/country
Killian Greens Golf Club
Irons
MX-1000
Driver
ST-180
I was looking at a thread a moment ago where Halebopp mentioned buying back some clubs from the person he sold them to, and being disappointed with the condition, though the person said they were hardly used. It made me think... (I know, don't hurt myself)

What have you ever tried that worked or didn't work to restore something cosmetic about your clubs?

Personally, I've used paint fill intended for the purpose. The 4 color kit is available on Amazon.

I regrip my own clubs all the time, but that's less cosmetic and more need.

I've touched up silver paint on a Taylormade driver, again using paint made by a golf specific company who sells the correct colors.

I haven't tried to touch up black paint on anything but a putter. The putter is the old one I posted yesterday and I used black electrical shielding paint on the whole top. The paint is commonly used to paint the cavity in a guitar where the electronics sit under the top. It helps eliminate electrical interference from things like ceiling fans or fluorescent lights. The first coat looks pretty good.

What have you done?

PaulBoy

HCP
WHS 7.0
Local club/country
Army GC
Irons
Mizuno Pro 223 (4-AW) Modus3 120s
Driver
Titleist TSi2 Graphite Design Tour AD XC-50s
Hi Dennis ... I thought you'd been here long enough to realise you shouldn't take a lack of response personally! - Most of the old guard have "defected" to Facebook & the like (not for me btw) - In answer to your question, I do my own grips, but apart from that, barely a thing! - I don't really hang on to clubs long enough for them to need a touch up of paint etc plus I am not particularly skilled in that sort of thing & would probably make a dog's dinner of it! - I tip my hat to anyone who can do so ...

Br1an_g

HCP
Local club/country
Downfield
Irons
Srixon ZX5 mk2 4-gw Nippon modus NS pro 105x
Driver
Callaway rogue st max 9.5 fujikura vista pro 65s,
I once tried to touch up some sky marks on a hybrid with black car paint touch up pen thing I had in the garage. Turns out touch up pens have a shelf life and the sticky goo that came out hid the sky marks but was a horrid finish..🤣

DennisMiller

HCP
Old Age
Local club/country
Killian Greens Golf Club
Irons
MX-1000
Driver
ST-180
Hi Dennis ... I thought you'd been here long enough to realise you shouldn't take a lack of response personally! - Most of the old guard have "defected" to Facebook & the like (not for me btw)
No, I didn't take it personally. I was just being facetious.

As for the old guard, I really miss them. I have Paul Hurst's email and every once in a while, I'll wake him up to ask how he is. I'm not in touch with many of the guys on Facebook though. I really don't understand why someone would favor Facebook over a brand specific forum, but why not enjoy both?

I'd love to believe someday, this forum will repopulate to what it once was.

DCB

HCP
Local club/country
Midlothian, Scotland http://www.merchantsgolf.com
Irons
My ReHab Bag - Mizuno JPX 900 HM 5-GW A Shafts, JPX EX 4H, JPX 900 5 & 7 Wood Orochi RL Shafts.
Driver
JPX 900
Hey Dennis, maybe everyone is considering their response before committing to a post 😂😂😂

Times change, unfortunately some of the great posters from the past have found other interests and moved away from golf. Last I heard from Deemac he was only playing very occasionally, yet at one stage hhe was playing or posting almost every day.

I'm not playing this year, awaiting a hip replacement. First of all I have to lose weight. Great fun ! Hopefully I'll get back on the course in good time as I do miss the game.

Sitting here watching an event on TV and an American chap sean crocker has just shot a 9underat St Andrews Bay. Holed many a long putt. One to watch 😉

DennisMiller

HCP
Old Age
Local club/country
Killian Greens Golf Club
Irons
MX-1000
Driver
ST-180
I'm watching the LPGA Scottish Open and crying over how damned cute the girls are and how damned old I am.

I hope the hip replacement goes well. I've been pleasantly surprised how some friends who had hip replacements done were up and around much sooner than I would have guessed. Knee replacements seem to take longer and my Orthopedist, who is a good friend, tells me I need both of mine done. I tease him that I'm not letting him cut on me until his daughter's student loans are paid off.

Halebopp

HCP
Local club/country
Lakeside Golf Vammala, Finland
Irons
MP-H5/53/4
Driver
MP-650/ST180
I used to give my old cart a silicone treatment once or twice a season but with the new cart I thought this'd be a good time to up the game a bit with a pre-emptive strike, especially with the colours that are more likely to show the effects of UV radiation. I've just seen so many orange ClicGears with wheels looking absolutely horrid.

So ceramic coating it is. :) The bottle should be good for 2-3 cars and the coating should last half a year on them so coating it every spring should last a season on the cart and chances are the bottle won't run out in a year or two.

I do wonder if the coating would also worko on the clubheads.

https://www.korrek.com/product/korrek-pro-tfc-coating/

Last edited:

DennisMiller

HCP
Old Age
Local club/country
Killian Greens Golf Club
Irons
MX-1000
Driver
ST-180
I'm playing tomorrow morning, but I have an old set of Haig Ultras and various putters ready to restore this weekend. I'm debating whether to use paint stripper on one particular putter. Paint fill in the words and numbers is the easy part.

DennisMiller

HCP
Old Age
Local club/country
Killian Greens Golf Club
Irons
MX-1000
Driver
ST-180
I'm debating whether to take on a bit more complicated project than I've ever done. I've reshafted clubs, but in this case, the hosel bore on this older Epon set is quite an unusual size, .3622" parallel, according to the factory.

I can't find anyone locally who will agree to bore the hosels to .370, which would allow me a giant choice of iron shafts. Instead, I need to find a .355 parallel tip shaft in senior flex and use some shims the Golfworks sells. The problem is, the shims are in sizes designed to take up a certain amount of space and their thinnest shim would make an extremely tight fit. I could mix more glass beads than normal with the epoxy, but it's not really a great way to center the shaft.

I'm not sure the project is worth it and maybe I should just try to sell the irons.

HCP
Local club/country
New Zealand
Irons
Mizuno mp32 and mp57
Driver
Mizuno MP Type 2
Gee, I seem to have started a highly popular thread... ;-)
I want to see how others repair golf clubs so hoping more will post there repair ideas, I'm a very recent starter repaired and only started on Mizuno weeks ago. Cheers Bang...

DennisMiller

HCP
Old Age
Local club/country
Killian Greens Golf Club
Irons
MX-1000
Driver
ST-180
Hi Bang69... In my case, I became fascinated in club repair back in the late 1950s and early 1960s. My parents joined a country club in Louisville, Ky and us kids in the group lessons used to gather on a little patio just outside the repair shop the Caddy Master used. I watched him do stuff like grip clubs, refinish woods and occasionally reshaft a club. After our group lesson, when the other kids rushed off to the pool, I hung around the repair shop to watch.

Later, I had some adult friends into it who helped me get started. Add to that, a bit more courage than common sense, and here i am today.

My most frequent mod, since I'm 6'7" tall, is to lengthen my irons, then counterweight them. Since nobody sells a counterweight to fit inside the extensions, I invented a way... I use a 30-40 gram teardrop shaped fishing weight, hammered into the extension. I've also developed a pretty goofy way of making the extension reusable. I wrap it with duct tape, then hammer the extension into the shaft. The cloth tears off, leaving the sticky substance holding the extension in place.

And all this time, the Mizuno Golf Forum thought I was sane... ;-)

HCP
Local club/country
New Zealand
Irons
Mizuno mp32 and mp57
Driver
Mizuno MP Type 2
I like your style mate, I cut old shafts and they fit real well. I got 40ish old shafts from a club my brother is a member of, I can make as many as I'll ever need. You want some?

DennisMiller

HCP
Old Age
Local club/country
Killian Greens Golf Club
Irons
MX-1000
Driver
ST-180
I like your style mate, I cut old shafts and they fit real well. I got 40ish old shafts from a club my brother is a member of, I can make as many as I'll ever need. You want some?
I really appreciate the offer, but I probably have 20-25 shafts laying around here, much to my wife's concern. Once in a blue moon, some friend needs a shaft replacement and I use one if I have their flex, but most of what I have are steel shafts and at our age, 90% of my golfing friends have long since gone to graphite.

And that doesn't include what I'm waiting on, more shafts in senior flex to restore an older model Epon iron set. It's not a hobby, it's a disease... ;-)

HCP
Local club/country
New Zealand
Irons
Mizuno mp32 and mp57
Driver
Mizuno MP Type 2
I would only use them as extension either in the butt of driver or irons, I tried both and at a .5 inch in a 5iron my friend was happy and I tried 1inch in a driver as experiment which work fine....

DennisMiller

HCP
Old Age
Local club/country
Killian Greens Golf Club
Irons
MX-1000
Driver
ST-180
I've only done it in irons, with the exception of the occasional hybrid, when I needed to lengthen it to meet the natural sequencing in the lengths of the set.

A couple years ago, I tried a set of Cobra one length irons, something that, for my height, is still probably a good idea. I lengthened them 2 inches and backweighted them to great effect. I played well with them, but it turned into an interesting project.

Long story short, I could never get used to swinging the wedges around me, instead of the more up and down feel with a typically shorter wedge. I shortened the wedges little by little until I found a happy spot, about 3/4" longer than usual. I wound up with a 3 length set in the end.

throwback

HCP
Local club/country
Sunkist Country club Biloxi, Ms. usa
Irons
GolfSmith square toed Blades 3-S with 60 deg lob
Driver
Cobra Rad speer 11deg Avilla stiff
I've been shafting and gripping my old clubs (irons) for years, was wondering about re-chroming some MS5's I got used from Japan don't want to mess up the feel maybe 3 layers of copper and one chrome with nickel for a sealer layer.
Like old school bumpers. Any input would be welcome.

DennisMiller

HCP
Old Age
Local club/country
Killian Greens Golf Club
Irons
MX-1000
Driver
ST-180
I've been shafting and gripping my old clubs (irons) for years, was wondering about re-chroming some MS5's I got used from Japan don't want to mess up the feel maybe 3 layers of copper and one chrome with nickel for a sealer layer.
Like old school bumpers. Any input would be welcome.
I wish someone could answer this question. It's way beyond what I know how to do or what I might take on just from reading the web, but having entirely too much time on my hand, it's something I would love to try.

Top Bottom