World handicap system

MrK20

Local club/country
Germany
Irons
Mizuno / MP 20 HMB; MP 20; T20 / 2; 3-9; 49, 54, 60, Nippon Modus 120 S
Driver
Mizuno / ST-Z / D, 3W, 5W / JPX900 22H / CLK 25H. MRC Diamana D+(D, 3W, 5W) , Fujikura SIX R(22), Fujikura Speeder Hb 85 (25)
@LOS Could you elaborate what you mean by license? I am unsure what you mean. License for what? As far as I am aware the only License in Germany is the "Platzerlaubnis" which is a course you take before being allowed on the course. It used to be that at the end you had HC 54, now this has to be "proven" in a registered round (aka tournament) if I am not mistaken.

LOS

Local club/country
England
@LOS Could you elaborate what you mean by license? I am unsure what you mean. License for what? As far as I am aware the only License in Germany is the "Platzerlaubnis" which is a course you take before being allowed on the course. It used to be that at the end you had HC 54, now this has to be "proven" in a registered round (aka tournament) if I am not mistaken.
Looking through various links I have
https://internationalpga.com/blog/f/you-need-a-license-to-play-golf-in-germany
The “ Platzreife” requirement is rigorous and consists of two parts—a written test and a hands-on test. The hands-on test takes you out on a golf course where you must prove your driving, putting, and chipping skills, and then you join a pro to play 18 holes of golf with a maximum of 108 strokes.

I took the 108 to be roughly 36 handicap and I wondered if the WHS system was going to create a change to 54

MrK20

Local club/country
Germany
Irons
Driver
Mizuno / ST-Z / D, 3W, 5W / JPX900 22H / CLK 25H. MRC Diamana D+(D, 3W, 5W) , Fujikura SIX R(22), Fujikura Speeder Hb 85 (25)
I am not sure. When I did the test 10 years ago the rules were more lenient. It was said that you had to play a score of +3 per hole over a number of holes but if the Pro thought you were fine to play than it didn't matter all that much either. I have never heard of anyone losing their Platzerlaubnis, neither with the old system nor with the new, but maybe I am too detached from Club Life to learn of such things.

MTR

HCP
f0re
Local club/country
EU
Irons
MP-9-11-14-29-37
AFAIK its still exists but it depends on the course if they require it. I guess most do but some don't. And as soon as you have a handicap/membership somewhere else that takes precedent. Other (most) EU countries (at least AUT, CH, ESP, NL, BE, DK, SWE etc) have a similar structure through which you have to show you have the necessary skill to get a ball round a course before you can set foot on one. Usually done by a teaching pro and backed up by a course where you can play under guidance until you can score the equivalent of 54 index. Some are more strict, some more lenient, especially when you are a member on a course. Then you can play there as soon as the pro gives you the go ahead. It is far more lenient than the article suggests and not set in stone.

Last edited:

MrK20

Local club/country
Germany
Irons
Driver
From what I have seen on different courses websites is that there are often 2 different options. One is the "DGV Platzreife" which is the official allowance to play on german courses which is accepted anywhere and then a second, cheaper, more lenient option where you "only" recieve an allowance to play on your homecourse, which is a good option for people who do not mean to travel around much.

DennisMiller

HCP
Old Age
Local club/country
Public Courses
Irons
Shiny silver things
Driver
Shiny blue thing
I haven't played in any kind of tournament in probably 30 years, so all this is mystifying to me.

I remember when my father was on the handicap committee at our country club in Kentucky. (early 60s) You had to be signed in at the pro shop and then were required to turn in a score. The committee met once a month, took all your scores for the past month, calculated the average over par and subtracted one stroke to determine your handicap.

At the time, I thought that was complicated.

Top Bottom