DMT

HCP
Local club/country
Celtic Manor
Irons
JPX Tour 919 (5-PW) 50, 54 and 60 degree Vokeys
Driver
Ping G 10.5 Tour Stiff
Hi, I’m looking at a new trolley and trying to decide between Motocaddy and Powacaddy (in either range their compact ones.....currently have M1 Pro).

My question is this.....does your club allow winter wheels from both brands? A few years ago at St Mellion I was told they wouldn’t allow the hedgehog style (the only ones Motocaddy sold at the time, and still do I believe).

They would only allow the hexagonal ones (which Powacaddy do). Interestingly they had rental Motocaddy with the hexagonal style, which I think Motocaddy used to sell.

I‘ve always been very happy with Motocaddy but wondering this time if I should buy a Powacaddy to enable the hexagonal style winter wheels. I don’t play away from my home course a whole lot in the winter but it is a consideration.

Thanks.

WalkerCup

HCP
Scratch
Local club/country
British Isles
Irons
Mizuno JPX 921 Forged 4-PW KBS Tour 120 Stiff , 3 Deg up plus 1”
Driver
Ping G425 Max 10.5 HZRDS Blue Stiff
Had Motocaddy, never again, very poor, went back to Powakaddy, much better build and value

WalkerCup

HCP
Scratch
Local club/country
British Isles
Irons
Driver
Winter wheels cause more damage. Better off carrying FG in winter
Some clubs are carry only until April however, some people cant carry bags

DMT

HCP
Local club/country
Celtic Manor
Irons
Driver
Ping G 10.5 Tour Stiff
Winter wheels cause more damage. Better off carrying FG in winter
I do have a tiny Mizuno bag (BRD2 maybe) which is great but in the winter I tend to carry more stuff and have intermittent issues with my back which means a trolley is preferable. Plus the BRD2 doesn’t quite have enough space for waterproofs etc. Lovely bag in the right conditions!

DMT

HCP
Local club/country
Celtic Manor
Irons
Driver
Ping G 10.5 Tour Stiff
Had Motocaddy, never again, very poor, went back to Powakaddy, much better build and value
Thanks. Seems to be pretty much 50:50 between Powacaddy and Motocaddy amongst the golfers I know. All seem happy to be honest. Maybe I should switch brands this time and then at least that way I should be okay anywhere with hexagonal wheels.....noting that some clubs may have a trolley ban irrespective of wheel type/design.

PaulBoy

HCP
WHS 7.0
Local club/country
Army GC
Irons
Mizuno Pro 223 (4-AW) Modus3 120s
Driver
Titleist TSi2 Graphite Design Tour AD XC-50s
Hi Dan ... Lucky you worrying about trolley wheels while us here in Englandshire can't play (though it's ok to go jogging, biking or fishing!)
I can offer some advice about the winter wheels that Powakaddy do though - Regardless of whether they are allowed,
they are awful - The design seems bizarre to me as all that happened was the "holes" just kept clogging up with mud
Despite also having a bad back, my winter regime (if trolley ban) is along same lines as Brattz i.e. a light carry bag usually with
driver / 5 wood / 5,7,9, SW / putter - I will sometimes throw a hybrid in if I don't have to carry a brolley!
Cheers
Paul

WalkerCup

HCP
Scratch
Local club/country
British Isles
Irons
Driver
Thanks. Seems to be pretty much 50:50 between Powacaddy and Motocaddy amongst the golfers I know. All seem happy to be honest. Maybe I should switch brands this time and then at least that way I should be okay anywhere with hexagonal wheels.....noting that some clubs may have a trolley ban irrespective of wheel type/design.
You could always go the whole hog and by truly the Rolls Royce of motorised trollies and buy a Stewart Golf

https://www.stewartgolf.co.uk/colle...remote-signature-range?variant=15757721305199

PaulBoy

HCP
WHS 7.0
Local club/country
Army GC
Irons
Driver
You could always go the whole hog and by truly the Rolls Royce of motorised trollies and buy a Stewart Golf

https://www.stewartgolf.co.uk/colle...remote-signature-range?variant=15757721305199
A pal of mine bought one of these - Sadly spending two grand is no guarantee of quality & he has had lots of issues with his - I was on a round with him one day when the motor stopped - He had to get "rescued" by the Pro as there is no way to push the trolley (free-wheel) when the motor dies - Not sure if he still has it now?
Paul

DMT

HCP
Local club/country
Celtic Manor
Irons
Driver
Ping G 10.5 Tour Stiff
Hi Dan ... Lucky you worrying about trolley wheels while us here in Englandshire can't play (though it's ok to go jogging, biking or fishing!)
I can offer some advice about the winter wheels that Powakaddy do though - Regardless of whether they are allowed,
they are awful - The design seems bizarre to me as all that happened was the "holes" just kept clogging up with mud
Despite also having a bad back, my winter regime (if trolley ban) is along same lines as Brattz i.e. a light carry bag usually with
driver / 5 wood / 5,7,9, SW / putter - I will sometimes throw a hybrid in if I don't have to carry a brolley!
Cheers
Paul
Thanks Paul.....just as I was leaning towards a Powakaddy you throw a spanner in the works! Read around last night (too much) and there seems no consensus on what’s best (hexagonal, hedgehog, flat etc). Even green keepers / ground staff don’t seem to agree. Looks like Devon and Cornwall are less keen on the hedgehog ones from what I can gather.
Royal Porthcawl for me tomorrow.....should be nice and firm underfoot :)
Hope all’s well with you.
Dan

PaulBoy

HCP
WHS 7.0
Local club/country
Army GC
Irons
Driver
Hi Dan ... Yes I'm fine if a bit "stir crazy" under Boris's latest "I hate golf" ban ... As you may have gathered the hex wheels did not work for me - They are also HUGE! - I had a few comments like "who's got the Mars Rover trolley!" but I could handle that if the wheels were any good - I just didn't like spending time after every round digging the mud out of the holes - Enjoy Porthcawl, that sounds like the perfect place to be playing at this time of year?
Paul

HAIRY ESSEX BLOKE

HCP
Local club/country
Fabulous Frinton on Sea ESSEX
Irons
MP53 4-PW MPT 10 51 & 54 deg various fairways & hybrids plus MX23, MP18MMC, MMC hi fli CLK hybrids T7 wedges
Driver
Mizuno MX700 JPX EZ ,GT & ST180 & ST180G
Thanks Paul.....just as I was leaning towards a Powakaddy you throw a spanner in the works! Read around last night (too much) and there seems no consensus on what’s best (hexagonal, hedgehog, flat etc). Even green keepers / ground staff don’t seem to agree. Looks like Devon and Cornwall are less keen on the hedgehog ones from what I can gather.
Royal Porthcawl for me tomorrow.....should be nice and firm underfoot :)
Hope all’s well with you.
Dan
I use Gokart always have always will, they are local (Kent) you can talk to them and they are brilliant.

Top Bottom