Why did Faldo stop playing?

Steve Smith

Local club/country
Newcastle upon tyne
Whether you loved or hated him, nobody can deny that Nick was one of the all time greats and a Mizuno guy through and through. He said that 97 was the year that the power game took over.
But even at 50 he was in great shape and hitting the ball as well as ever. Could have won a boat load of senior majors, maybe he just lost interest

PaulBoy

HCP
WHS 7.0
Local club/country
Army GC
Irons
Mizuno Pro 223 (4-AW) Modus3 120s
Driver
Titleist TSi2 Graphite Design Tour AD XC-50s
Sir Nick certainly polarised opinion when he was playing, though after finding out he was a distant relative (true, but sadly there the comparison ends!) I found myself always rooting for & defending him - Who can forget him thanking the media "from the heart of his bottom!" after one of his major victories? - Just my opinion, but I think when he realised his Tour playing days were over & he was no longer competitive, he just lost interest - I also don't think he felt he fitted in on the Senior circuit which thrives on a much more friendly basis than the US or European Tours? - Shame, as like you said, surely Senior honours would have been well within his capabilities?
Paul

Steve Smith

Local club/country
Newcastle upon tyne
Sir Nick certainly polarised opinion when he was playing, though after finding out he was a distant relative (true, but sadly there the comparison ends!) I found myself always rooting for & defending him - Who can forget him thanking the media "from the heart of his bottom!" after one of his major victories? - Just my opinion, but I think when he realised his Tour playing days were over & he was no longer competitive, he just lost interest - I also don't think he felt he fitted in on the Senior circuit which thrives on a much more friendly basis than the US or European Tours? - Shame, as like you said, surely Senior honours would have been well within his capabilities?
Paul
Yes I would compare him a little bit to Hogan. Not universally liked and rebuilt his swing to play with a very consistent fade avoiding a hook. Hogan and Faldo had very much similarities. Single mindedness, obsessive about practice and a certain aloofness that others took as arrogance, but a steely will to win. So I would never criticise Faldo for that. Not everyones favourite but have a lot of respect for his achievements and find it hard to believe he never won the US Open. Under pressure one of the greatest long iron players ever.

Steve Smith

Local club/country
Newcastle upon tyne
Yes I would compare him a little bit to Hogan. Not universally liked and rebuilt his swing to play with a very consistent fade avoiding a hook. Hogan and Faldo had very much similarities. Single mindedness, obsessive about practice and a certain aloofness that others took as arrogance, but a steely will to win. So I would never criticise Faldo for that. Not everyones favourite but have a lot of respect for his achievements and find it hard to believe he never won the US Open. Under pressure one of the greatest long iron players ever.
I remember maybe 89 or 90 him playing a peach of a 2 iron standing well below the ball at 13 in the final round of the Masters. Just a perfect fade into middle of the green. And his ability to cut a 5 iron into a right to left wind on par 3s in the Open from 175 when others were playing a standard 7 iron and drifting into the left hand traps on the wind. It is artistry and craft now that has been lost with the boom boom generation. Taking a lot more club, hitting it soft and low and working against the wind. Sadly Rory has fallen into that Bryson trap seeking ever more distance. He will never win another major if he keeps on that route.
I still believe that one day golf will return to a game of craft and finesse I hope.

WalkerCup

HCP
Scratch
Local club/country
British Isles
Irons
Mizuno JPX 921 Forged 4-PW KBS Tour 120 Stiff , 3 Deg up plus 1”
Driver
Ping G425 Max 10.5 HZRDS Blue Stiff
Faldo was never a bomber of the ball, Hit it far enough, and was a super athlete, don't forget he had the legs of an olympic downhill skier when he had his fitness tested at the sports institute in Britain early 90s. Nick was more of a craftsman, leaving no attention to detail, he banged his own drum had his own golf ball (Rextar- I got some through a contact at IMG at the time, amazing ball) which he would test for roundness before going out to play with them in tournaments. Faldo really was an artist of the golf ball. Not detracting from certain players today, but they are more in the Tiger mould than Faldo, I do wonder if they went down the Faldo route more some might have more success. You can tell Faldo is one of my favourites!!!

DennisMiller

HCP
Old Age
Local club/country
Killian Greens Golf Club
Irons
MX-1000
Driver
ST-180
Wow... I always loved to see Faldo play well and I never realized there was anyone critical of him, other than Americans who complain about the European Ryder Cup team on general principles.

With such a high percentage of Europeans participating in this forum, I'll say this, something I probably wouldn't talk about around certain friends of mine.

I find the foreign PGA and Euro PGA players MUCH more interesting than most of the Americans. It's the same with my love for the LPGA and KLPGA. The foreign players just seem much more interesting and to me, appear to play with a passion that I don't see in most American players.

And as for Sr Nick's commentary, I love his role in that too. He has a wisdom borne of experience, but also a humor I truly appreciate.

Top Bottom