Which Mizuno iron model is for me?

HCP
Local club/country
United States
Irons
TM RBladez Tour
Driver
Rogue
Currently play Taylormade RBladez Tour model about 6 years old. Considering getting the 919 forged, looking for something similar maybe more forgiving the my TMs

Brattz

HCP
Pro
Local club/country
Derby Golf Centre
Irons
Mizuno JPX 919 Tour (4-PW) - Project X LZ 6.5 120g - 0.5° Flat - 1/2"+
Driver
Titleist TS3 - HC Project X LZ17 6.5 60g, 9.5°, A1 - 11g
JPX919 Tour 👌🏽

WalkerCup

HCP
Scratch
Local club/country
British Isles
Irons
Mizuno JPX 921 Forged 4-PW KBS Tour 120 Stiff , 3 Deg up plus 1”
Driver
Ping G425 Max 10.5 HZRDS Blue Stiff
buy the JPX 919 Tours and call it a day :)

HCP
Local club/country
United States
Irons
TM RBladez Tour
Driver
Rogue
Why the Tours and not the Forged? Currently an 11hdcp and hit my 7iron about 160-165yds with my Rocketbladez tour. I feel like the Forged is a similar look to the TM.

PaulBoy

HCP
WHS 7.0
Local club/country
Army GC
Irons
Mizuno Pro 223 (4-AW) Modus3 120s
Driver
Titleist TSi2 Graphite Design Tour AD XC-50s
The Forged is certainly more like the TM in looks, so it depends on what you are looking for performance wise? - The Forged are more forgiving than the Tour & with a "hot" face & lower lofts will definitely hit the ball further than the Tour - I went through this with the 900 Forged & Tour irons - I did a fitting & couldn't see past the extra yardage I gained with the Forged, so bought a set - After using them for a while I noticed that a couple of times a round I would pick a club for a certain yardage & hit the shot 20y further than I was expecting? - Off my handicap (currently 4) I decided this was more likely to be down to the club rather than me? - I chopped the 900 Forged in & went back to MP irons - That's not quite the end of the story though ...
I recently decided to change my MP set & ended up buying a set of 900 Tours which are quite similar to the 919 - I have been hitting them really well & (so far) they show no signs of producing the strange "20y extra" shot that I had with the Forged - They play like my MP4 set in terms of distance / feel etc but the long irons are much easier to hit & the whole set is much more forgiving - Although I have played Mizuno irons from their first arrival in the UK, I really like the different look of the latest JPX range versus the more traditional MP range
Hope that helps?
Paul

HCP
Local club/country
United States
Irons
TM RBladez Tour
Driver
Rogue
Yes, thanks going in for a fitting on the 23rd so going to keep an open mind and hit both

WalkerCup

HCP
Scratch
Local club/country
British Isles
Irons
Mizuno JPX 921 Forged 4-PW KBS Tour 120 Stiff , 3 Deg up plus 1”
Driver
Ping G425 Max 10.5 HZRDS Blue Stiff
Still have a set of 900 Forged great offering and an all round great club EXCEPT for short irons and chip and runs the ball flies off the face making consistency harder than it should. Just my personal preference I prefer the 900 and 919 Tour for shaping and consistent short shots

HCP
Local club/country
United States
Irons
TM RBladez Tour
Driver
Rogue
What are your thought on a combo set 4-6 forged and 7-p tour

PaulBoy

HCP
WHS 7.0
Local club/country
Army GC
Irons
Mizuno Pro 223 (4-AW) Modus3 120s
Driver
Titleist TSi2 Graphite Design Tour AD XC-50s
What are your thought on a combo set 4-6 forged and 7-p tour
For the reasons I mentioned above (just my experience obviously) I wouldn't consider this myself - The gap between 7 iron Tour & 6 iron Forged would be quite large unless you had the lofts adjusted & then the rest of the clubs would need to be changed to fit in with that - I think when you have your fitting, you will find that the Tours are easy enough to hit all the way down to 4 iron (again this is based on my experience with the 900 Tours)
Good luck ... Paul

HCP
Local club/country
Knole Park
Irons
MP5, S300, 1* flat, 2* strong
Driver
Ping G400 8.5*, HZRDUS X-Stiff
Quick mention for MP18 SC and MP18 Blade combo.

MPX

Administrator
Staff member
HCP
Local club/country
UK
Irons
JPX919 Hot Metal Pro 4-PW (C Taper Lite stiff), T20 wedges chrome - 50 / 56
Driver
ST-Z driver, ST200x 3wood, ST200x 5 wood
On the whole the JPX919 series doesn't blend as well as the MP-18s. The MP-18s are built to mix and match, the 919s really work best from one core set. Maybe a 2 and 5 iron from the easier model - but that's probably about it. I'd find the 6-pw i like best and work from there.

DennisMiller

HCP
Old Age
Local club/country
Killian Greens Golf Club
Irons
MX-1000
Driver
ST-180
Opinions are like belly buttons... everyone has one.

C'mon Bmack, the search is half the fun!!!

HCP
Local club/country
United States
Irons
TM RBladez Tour
Driver
Rogue
Just got fitted and ordered my new set, 4-5 iron Hot Metal Pro and 6-PW 919 Forged all with Project X LZ 6.5, can't wait to get them in and stay playing.

MPX

Administrator
Staff member
HCP
Local club/country
UK
Irons
JPX919 Hot Metal Pro 4-PW (C Taper Lite stiff), T20 wedges chrome - 50 / 56
Driver
ST-Z driver, ST200x 3wood, ST200x 5 wood
Just got fitted and ordered my new set, 4-5 iron Hot Metal Pro and 6-PW 919 Forged all with Project X LZ 6.5, can't wait to get them in and stay playing.
Thanks for the update - what was the Hot Metal Pro up against. Forged or Hot Metal?

HCP
Local club/country
United States
Irons
TM RBladez Tour
Driver
Rogue
Thanks for the update - what was the Hot Metal Pro up against. Forged or Hot Metal?
Up against the Forged, from address the forged and HM Pro look almost identical, i didn't like the look of the HM compared to the forged. The Pro just added a little forgiveness and maybe a couple extra yards, don't think I'll have any issues with the gap from the 6 to the 5

HCP
Local club/country
Switzerland
Irons
Cally x22 tour
Driver
Ping g 20
Late to this thread. Going to get 919 HMP and thinking of blending with the forged fro 8 to GW. Any advice on shafts? Keep consistent through all irons or go for stock? Really like the stock shaft in the HM pros but might go too high in the forged???

Top Bottom