What's your Mizuno story?

Royals

HCP
Local club/country
N/A
Irons
JPX 800s 4-pw Dynalite Gold XP, Mizuno CLK 17* Hybrid), MP T-11 (50*), MP T (54* and 58*), Yes! C-Groove Sandy Putter
Driver
Taylormade RBZ 10.5*, Mizuno F-50 3 wood (15*)
I'd been playing a couple of months with some awful clubs and wanted a lob wedge as my club has some deep bunkers. I went to the pro shop and tried 3 ex demos; a T-10, vokey and Taylor made. I'd heard of vokeys and was pretty sure that was the one I was going to go with, but I hit the mizuno so much better so bought it.

I hadn't heard much about Mizuno so set about finding more info, found this forum and have learnt a lot since, its hardly unbiased but very knowledgeable members.. I decided to get a fitting for new irons and was heading up to Chester for a weekend so stopped of at Wrexham on the way and had a brilliant session with James and got some JPX 800s. Have since added two more wedges, a MP clk hybrid and F50 3 wood.

Marpan

HCP
Local club/country
Perth, Australia
Irons
Mizuno MP69 (3-PW), MPT - 11s (52 & 60)
Driver
Looking for one
I had my first contact with a mizuno club back in 90's with the Mizuno TP9 and I fall in love with it instantly but I had it for about 9 months then purchased Mizuno TP11 cause i cant resist the tempation for a better irons but I still prefer the TP9's as it felt better on contact with the ball.

There for sold the TP11s and purchased the T-zoid when it came out. I love the look and the feel of the irons but something is missing every time I set up for a shot I dont feel as comfortable as with TP9's so I sold the set and purchased Mizuno MP32 irons and I was instantly in love again with these irons. I think for me is the best set of irons ever. unfortunatly after 6 month they got stolen. I was shattered, my friend tried to introduced Titleist 690MB as he said it's better than Mizuno irons, so I tried it and it felt good not as good as Mp32's but it was close. So I purchased the 690MB that was back in 2006.

It has been good to me for the last 6 years, I had many good rounds with 690mb irons but again there is something missing.

Only the start of this year, I have taken up golf more seriously spending more days playing golf, mostly because of work college and my boss.

So a couple of months ago, I decided to change my irons and begun researching for that perfect iron I felt with MP32s and at least the 690MB. I went to different places to try the 712mb, AP2, CG16, nike VR pro, Taylormade MB, MP59 and MP69.

At the end, it came down to MP59 & MP69. They are both very sexy and beautiful sets of irons and the best thing is they both feel like MP32s but better. MP59's feels like a blade but more forgiveness than MP69. But the most suprising thing is that MP69's is as easy to hit as MP59.

In the end, my research and the mizuno rep convienced me to get the MP59's. He proceeded to provide a quote on the irons and MPT-11 Wedges, so I can explain it to my wife at home.

It was my luck that the mizuno representative wasn't working the next day, so by chance I was at the range that evening and met a gentlemen who had the new set of MP69's with DG S300. I was lucky enough to try it and it was the best irons I have every had in my hands. The feel, ball flight, the way it comes of the irons, not to mention the look (sexy, sleek and umhp....) I would sleep with it, if it wasnt for my wife next to me...

So, the next day called up the rep and made an order for the MP69 (3-Pw) and decided to go with Project X shafts after extensive research and also ordered the MP T-11s (52 & 60) wedges.

I received my irons last Saturday and it was the right choice. It was better than I expected the feel from 3 - PW is just perfect,the shaft matches perfectly with the irons. It's better than my MP32's and even MP59s. Thank you Mizuno...

It is unfortunate, I can find the right feel in Mizuno Woods. I have tried many past models and nothing make me feel confident like Titleit Wood.

I am hoping that Mizuno will come out with a great driver and wood package soon. In the meantime, I will just have to search for a replacement.

swingslow

HCP
Local club/country
Congleton, England
T-Zoid XVs in 1995 after seeing a friend play so well with them. Since then MP-32s and MP-60/67 combo set. Can't ever see me playing any other irons.

zombie

HCP
Dunno
Local club/country
Craigmiller Park in Edinburgh
Irons
Need replaced
Driver
Working well
I've always loved the classical and striking design of the Mizuno irons but never ever dreamt I thought I'd own a set.

Basically, 8 months ago I decided to take golf more seriously and joined a club. Was fortunate enough to make a few golf buddies (including SimonS)and learned a hell of a lot about golf from these guys.

SimonS asked me if I could fill a Brampton gap and wanting to play as many courses as I can, took the plunge.

Being a researching type, I did a Google search on "Mizuno Brampton" and found this forum and that jumper from Holland! Read almost every thread and was intrigued enough to even read about the forging process on Mizuno's website... Never have I read so much pride, loyalty and bloody joy about a manufactured product.

To cut an already long story short... Got fitted for a couple of different makes of irons but for once, my heart won over my head and got a set of MP-53s.

I'm only one round in so I can't say any more yet, but I just know that I have amazing irons in my bag!

SimonS

HCP
Local club/country
http://www.crailgolfingsociety.co.uk/
Irons
Miura PP-9003
Driver
JPX-EX 10.5 reg
I look forward to seeing them in action next week at Montrose.

You will not regret buying them!

djp

HCP
Local club/country
Batchwood Hall Golf Club
Irons
JPX800 Pro 5-PW MPT11 52/07, 58/10, 64/07, JPX 800 Hybrid 17 and 22
Driver
Driver JPX 800 10.5 Fubuki 3w JPX 800 Fubuki
More years ago than I care to remember, decided to buy golf clubs, one a month from Woolworths. Started with 3 iron (still in garage somewhere) never bought any more. Obtained rag bag of irons and 3 wood from great uncle. Added more variety from work colleague. This sufficed for several years. About 10 years ago had birthday present of new set of Ben Sayers Zero in clubs. Thought at time that my standard of golf not deserving of 'proper' set. Then progressed to a second hand set of Callaway X14's. Always thought Mizuno irons best looking but believed only for better players. Too many visits to American Golf/Direct Golf admiring Mizuno irons to ignore. Eventually tried MP67 6 iron from demo stock. Really pleased and surprised that I could hit it. Decided to get custom fitted at nearby Mizuno fitter. He could only do irons and hybrids, but settled on JPX 800 Pro 5 to PW, MPT11 wedges and 4 hybrid. This went so well I arranged visit to Mizuno English National Fitting Centre in New Malden.
Fitted for Driver and 3 wood. Added 2 hybrid and another wedge to make the 14 clubs. Can't imagine playing other clubs now.

BigPete

HCP
Local club/country
Ruthin and Pwllglas
djp said:
More years ago than I care to remember, decided to buy golf clubs, one a month from Woolworths. Started with 3 iron (still in garage somewhere) never bought any more. Obtained rag bag of irons and 3 wood from great uncle. Added more variety from work colleague. This sufficed for several years. About 10 years ago had birthday present of new set of Ben Sayers Zero in clubs. Thought at time that my standard of golf not deserving of 'proper' set. Then progressed to a second hand set of Callaway X14's. Always thought Mizuno irons best looking but believed only for better players. Too many visits to American Golf/Direct Golf admiring Mizuno irons to ignore. Eventually tried MP67 6 iron from demo stock. Really pleased and surprised that I could hit it. Decided to get custom fitted at nearby Mizuno fitter. He could only do irons and hybrids, but settled on JPX 800 Pro 5 to PW, MPT11 wedges and 4 hybrid. This went so well I arranged visit to Mizuno English National Fitting Centre in New Malden.
Fitted for Driver and 3 wood. Added 2 hybrid and another wedge to make the 14 clubs. Can't imagine playing other clubs now.
Nice story - another demo club leading to a full bag of Mizunos :)

Villiers1

HCP
Local club/country
Pay & Play
Irons
JPX825 6-PW
Driver
Titleist 913D2 9.5, 913FD Fairway, Fli-Hi 3,4 & 5,JPX 50,56,T-4 60/05,MPTA301Putter
zombie said:
I've always loved the classical and striking design of the Mizuno irons but never ever dreamt I thought I'd own a set.

Basically, 8 months ago I decided to take golf more seriously and joined a club. Was fortunate enough to make a few golf buddies (including SimonS)and learned a * of a lot about golf from these guys.

SimonS asked me if I could fill a Brampton gap and wanting to play as many courses as I can, took the plunge.

Being a researching type, I did a Google search on "Mizuno Brampton" and found this forum and that jumper from Holland! Read almost every thread and was intrigued enough to even read about the forging process on Mizuno's website... Never have I read so much pride, loyalty and bloody joy about a manufactured product.

To cut an already long story short... Got fitted for a couple of different makes of irons but for once, my heart won over my head and got a set of MP-53s.

I'm only one round in so I can't say any more yet, but I just know that I have amazing irons in my bag!
Brilliant story Zombie and just about sums up what this Forum is all about. Well done on finally finding golfing Nirvana!!!

mizunotitleistfan

HCP
Local club/country
TheWonderfulWorldOfGolf
Irons
Mizuno T Zoid Pro's 3-PW and Mizuno MP-T11 56* wedge.
Driver
Titleist 905R 10.5* driver- shaft irrelevant
Villiers1 said:
zombie said:

Basically, 8 months ago I decided to take golf more seriously and joined a club. Was fortunate enough to make a few golf buddies (including SimonS)and learned a * of a lot about golf from these guys.

Brilliant story Zombie and just about sums up what this Forum is all about. Well done on finally finding golfing Nirvana!!!
agreed BRILLIANT story, they are THE best clubs EVER, I pity all these poor pro's and amateurs playing and winning with inferior clubs. Is there a place where I can make a contribution towards Mizuno's costs?

zombie

HCP
Dunno
Local club/country
Irons
Need replaced
Driver
Working well
Cheers guys and girls. This forum has been blooming friendly and bloody helpful - albeit with a slight bias!

Huge source of information and expertise and a very low average handicap - is that due to the clubs...?

;-)

BigPete

HCP
Local club/country
Ruthin and Pwllglas
zombie said:
Cheers guys and girls. This forum has been blooming friendly and bloody helpful - albeit with a slight bias!

Huge source of information and expertise and a very low average handicap - is that due to the clubs...?

;-)
Yes

zombie

HCP
Dunno
Local club/country
Irons
Need replaced
Driver
Working well
That was a "Penfold" answer - short and sweet... Crumbs DM!

Villiers1

HCP
Local club/country
Pay & Play
Irons
JPX825 6-PW
Driver
Titleist 913D2 9.5, 913FD Fairway, Fli-Hi 3,4 & 5,JPX 50,56,T-4 60/05,MPTA301Putter
zombie said:
I think Pete must have been in a bad mood there Zombie. Nothing meant I'm sure :wink:

Mizuno has always traditionally attracted lower handicappers but I think this is a misconception that has changed in recent years. The aspiring player who wants to improve has now been invited to enjoy the benefits of both forged feel and forgiveness with the massive success of the JPX Pro's and more forgiving MP irons for example. Mizuno obviously still has a hard core of single figure players, but has very much broadened the range. There is a difference between a higher handicapper who desperately wants to improve their shotmaking ability and their swing in order to lower their handicap, and the guys who just play socially and are happy to stay on 18 and above.

BigPete

HCP
Local club/country
Ruthin and Pwllglas
Villiers1 said:
zombie said:
I think Pete must have been in a bad mood there Zombie. Nothing meant I'm sure :wink:
Villiers you have an uncanny knack of taking everything I say the wrong way sometimes. And in this case Zombie as well. I was just saying yes and he was agreeing. Crumbs indeed!! :) (I must remember to use more smilies)

Ohh 'Eck

Villiers1

HCP
Local club/country
Pay & Play
Irons
JPX825 6-PW
Driver
No worries Pete. Lost in translation I think. Sometimes things come across in a different way than we meant. None of us are perfect least of all me!! I think they call it the human condition :wink:

zombie

HCP
Dunno
Local club/country
Irons
Need replaced
Driver
Working well
No probs at all BigPete - wasn't taken the wrong way.

"Human condition" Villiers1? Does that apply to the undead too?

Back on track... I was reluctant to go for MP-53s as I thought my game wasn't good enough and when I did, I expected a tough and frustrating settling in period.

But I can hit the MP-53 4iron much better than any cavity back one or hybrid club. I'm going to go back and buy a 3iron too!

Funny old game golf - confidence, confidence and a little more confidence.

:)

Villiers1

HCP
Local club/country
Pay & Play
Irons
JPX825 6-PW
Driver
zombie said:
No probs at all BigPete - wasn't taken the wrong way.

"Human condition" Villiers1? Does that apply to the undead too?

Back on track... I was reluctant to go for MP-53s as I thought my game wasn't good enough and when I did, I expected a tough and frustrating settling in period.

But I can hit the MP-53 4iron much better than any cavity back one or hybrid club. I'm going to go back and buy a 3iron too!

The undead? I wondered why you where called Zombie. Don't tell me your favourite video is 'Thriller'

Anyway my answer to your original question would have been;

"No...but they sure do help"

MX Man

HCP
Local club/country
SE England
Irons
MP 53
Driver
Mizuno JPX 800
zombie said:

Agree, and I think a club that looks right helps give you confidence.

When I look down on a big GI iron head it makes me feel less confident that I will hit a good shot. They just look so clumsy.

Feels like being given a crayon to sign your name.

HAIRY ESSEX BLOKE

HCP
Local club/country
Fabulous Frinton on Sea ESSEX
Irons
MP53 4-PW MPT 10 51 & 54 deg various fairways & hybrids plus MX23, MP18MMC, MMC hi fli CLK hybrids T7 wedges
Driver
Mizuno MX700 JPX EZ ,GT & ST180 & ST180G
Coming from Essex there is nothing wrong with crayons, now wots my name?

Local club/country
Germany
Hello fellow Mizuno fans!

I just got a package today from the UK and this is my first set of Mizuno irons.

I picked up the game in 2010 at the age of 26. Started with a set of Ping Rapture V2 because they were so stupid easy to hit. One year went by and the more I looked at them, the uglier they seemed to me. Big ugly shovels!

So in 2011 I decided to try something thinner such as the TM R9. They were OK and helped me bring down my HCP to 19. In order to escape Europe's dreadful winter, I decided to pack my clubs and visit my in-laws. Travelling with clubs and luggage can be a very painful experience, so I decided to leave that set at my in-laws for future use.

Now it's 2012 and weather is starting to warm up in Germany and here I am without a set of irons. So in February there was this golf exhibition in Germany, all the big OEM's were there so I went to take a look.

Nike... the sales rep wasn't really friendly and it seemed like he didn't care if he sold anything. Didn't even bother to give me my LM stats.

Ping... no, I don't want shovels anymore.

Callaway... is played by a person I hope I never have to see on the course again. So why buy a reminder?

TM... never liked their transitional irons and Rocketballz? Are you serious?

So I come to Mizuno's stand. Fitter was very friendly, asked what I was looking for, etc. I saw the MP53 and MP59 and instantly fell in love with them. I was a little bit worried that they would be too much game for my HCP, but I managed to hit them OK. The guy said I should be able to grow into them since I just started 2 years ago.

Something didn't feel right with the MP53 (sound? feel? not sure) so I ended up with a set of MP59 4-PW with KBS Tour.

Ever since I picked up golf, I haven't read a single negative thing about Mizuno irons.

I am now a proud owner and hopefully the weather will allow me to take them for the first spin this weekend!

Sorry for the long post and wish you all a very successful golf season 2012!

Top Bottom