What's Happening to Mizuno Retail In Britain?

Deemac

HCP
Local club/country
Torrance House Golf Club EK
Irons
MP 69's
Driver
Mizuno JPX 850 Fujikura Orochi 60g Stiff
I'm starting to get really worried about the whole Mizuno approach in Britain! I've been in 4 different golf retailers in Glasgow recently and have only seen 2 full sets of irons on display.

The clubs and other items are just NOT being stocked! When I've asked the retailers "where's all the Mizuno stuff", they reply "when Mizuno start making it attractive to stock and display their stuff - we'll stock and display it!"

Apparently the problem revolves around the custom fit programme, and how any old retailer can earn an uplift by sending them to the custom fit centre. This is discouraging retailers from stocking the clubs.

The whole custom fit move to World of Golf in Drumchapel in Glasgow has been another dissaster, and I hear the custom fit centre is moving back to Cumbernauld, where you hit into a net and can't see your actual shot.

Then there are the lack of stock issues, when you decide to buy a product, but there is no stock anywhere in Britain!

If this kind of service continues, I think we will have to start importing our Mizuno kit from Japan as that will be the only place that sells it soon!!!

What's going on Mizuno???

ajb72

HCP
Local club/country
The Leicestershire
Irons
MP57 - Nippon 950 shafts 0.5" longer, 2 degrees upright. Titleist Vokey wedges 52, 56 and 60 degree. Yes Diana Putter
Driver
MX700 10.5 degree NVS reg shaft
I have noticed a similar trend too. A few years ago American Golf would have had at least half a dozen sets on display, but these days it is only the smaller chains or the independents that seem to carry any real stock.

With a new launch like the MX700's and MX200's etc which have had such great press, you'd have thought that Mizuno would have gained a bit more presence in stores and had big display stands, but the approach seems really minimalist.

In many ways I guess I quite like this though, playig Mizuno has always felt more exclusive than Taylormade/Ping/Callaway etc so perhaps I shouldn't complain!

What frustrates me though, is when I see a new iron or wood launched that I like the look of, I have to chase the club pro to get any demos to try and there isn't a Mizuno fitting centre for hundreds of miles from here!

Deemac

HCP
Local club/country
Irons
MP 69's
Driver
That's what frustrates me too! I will ALWAYS buy Mizuno - but not before I've seen it and held it in my hands. The way the retailers are going just now, this is becoming very difficult to do.

For example - these new 68's that are coming out, I'm deffinately buying new irons for next season, but want to see the 68's before I pull the trigger on a set of 67's - but I can't think of a retailer that will stock or even display them!!!

MPX

Administrator
Staff member
HCP
Local club/country
UK
Irons
JPX919 Hot Metal Pro 4-PW (C Taper Lite stiff), T20 wedges chrome - 50 / 56
Driver
ST-Z driver, ST200x 3wood, ST200x 5 wood
Little bit of a sign of the times.

With custom fitting becoming a bigger part of our business (and our stockists), there will generally be less standard kit on the shelves.

Although we're leading in that regard (3 staffed UK National Fit Centres) it does mean there's not a huge incentive for retailers to display large amounts of full sets (space / cash flow etc).

Also, Mizuno's tending to be a little more selective than 10 years ago with its stockists - so it won't be seen as far and wide as in the past.

On the plus side, there are more custom built sets being shipped now than standard sets ten years back.

It's tough for you to gauge as you won't see the direct evidence on the shop floor. But Mizuno golf is lot healthier commericially now than it ever was in the 'glory days'.

ps: The National Fitting Centre move has not been without problems, but they're being worked through and it is not moving back to Cumbernauld.

ajb72

HCP
Local club/country
The Leicestershire
Irons
MP57 - Nippon 950 shafts 0.5" longer, 2 degrees upright. Titleist Vokey wedges 52, 56 and 60 degree. Yes Diana Putter
Driver
That's a good positive point of view, great to hear Mizuno are doing well commercially so they will be around for a few years to come yet.

Any plans to open a National fitting centre a bit nearer to the Midlands? It is a bit of a struggle to get to one of the current centres from here!

I have had a less than positive experience of a local (authorised) fitter, having been recommended standard R300 shafts with no thought to any other alternatives, and then later re-shafting the clubs at great expense to Nippon's.

It would be more reassuring to try more options with an expert there to assist.

MPX

Administrator
Staff member
HCP
Local club/country
UK
Irons
JPX919 Hot Metal Pro 4-PW (C Taper Lite stiff), T20 wedges chrome - 50 / 56
Driver
ST-Z driver, ST200x 3wood, ST200x 5 wood
I think the National Fitting Centres have been spread out as far as they'll go in the UK.

Does leave a few gaps - but while we're offering a free service, there's a limit.

Obviously not ideal, but while the service is free and you've less confidence in the alternatives, maybe its worth the time to drive to Wrexham?

ajb72

HCP
Local club/country
The Leicestershire
Irons
Driver
Crikey, crossing the border to dark side is a bit much to ask, even for new Mizuno's!!

Deemac

HCP
Local club/country
Irons
MP 69's
Driver
Joshella said:
Little bit of a sign of the times.

With custom fitting becoming a bigger part of our business (and our stockists), there will generally be less standard kit on the shelves.

Although we're leading in that regard (3 staffed UK National Fit Centres) it does mean there's not a huge incentive for retailers to display large amounts of full sets (space / cash flow etc).

Also, Mizuno's tending to be a little more selective than 10 years ago with its stockists - so it won't be seen as far and wide as in the past.

On the plus side, there are more custom built sets being shipped now than standard sets ten years back.

It's tough for you to gauge as you won't see the direct evidence on the shop floor. But Mizuno golf is lot healthier commericially now than it ever was in the 'glory days'.

ps: The National Fitting Centre move has not been without problems, but they're being worked through and it is not moving back to Cumbernauld.
Whilst I understand your comments above - What incentive is there to buy Mizuno products if you can't drop in to your local retailer and see them? Why don't Mizuno invest in a point of sale stock exhibit so that people can see the products, then the local retailer can pick up the commission by sending them to the fitting centre?

Win Win!!

Mizo

HCP
-
Local club/country
Efteling, Netherlands
Irons
18° MP FLi-Hi/MP-57/3-PW/PX 5.5, MP-T/56-10/R300
Driver
MX-560/9.5/Proforce V2S 66g
I don't live in Britain, but in regard to stores actually stocking Mizuno products, I did notice the following.
Most stores I've been use the Mizuno display stands to sell other brands products.

You can get custom fitted for practically any Mizuno club, but seeing them in the store will be a bit of an issue. Haven't seen a single MX-700 in store.

danapu2000

Local club/country
Campanino Golf Club / Italy
Irons
Mizuno MX25 5-PW Exsar IS2 Regular
Driver
Titleist 910D2 Aldila RIP60a regular
I live in Italy and I agree with all the comment above

just bought a MX700 3 FW and 4 hybrid from golfonline in UK because I'm not able to see in any shop here (for the shaft i choose Exsar regular but was a gamble)

just hit some ball last April to a demo day in Milan with the 6 hybrid (they has only that )
also that time I ask for MX700 driver or FW but nothing they don't have any demo club to a demo day (INCREDIBLE)

is very difficult to play Mizuno here

any national fitting center for Italy in the future?!?
I hope Mizuno will take this decision soon

thanks
Daniele

Top Bottom