HCP
Old Age
Local club/country
Killian Greens Golf Club
Irons
MX-1000
Driver
ST-180
I guess I'm the opposite side of the coin. As I've mentioned before, I have a love/hate relationship with fairway woods, often topping them. I have a JPX 850 2 hybrid I love to hit and for my Cleveland set, an old 588 Altitude 3 hybrid. Both are good replacements for the 3 wood with either set and I lose very little distance, but gain a lot more consistency.

On the days I've actually left the 3 wood out of the bag, I've often gotten an odd look from people who see my set makeup. I have no idea why, but all my life, I've simply hit long irons really well. It garnered me the nickname "Bean", for Andy Bean, who was famous for his long iron play. I don't know if I could still hit a 1 iron, but those 2 hybrids are a big help in so many ways.

Varry Hardon

HCP
Local club/country
Dukinfield
Irons
H5 long irons, Takomo 101T, S23 wedges
Driver
ST-G
I guess I'm the opposite side of the coin. As I've mentioned before, I have a love/hate relationship with fairway woods, often topping them. I have a JPX 850 2 hybrid I love to hit and for my Cleveland set, an old 588 Altitude 3 hybrid. Both are good replacements for the 3 wood with either set and I lose very little distance, but gain a lot more consistency.
Dennis, hope you are nice and safe in Florida.

I heard the cannibals are coming!

Steve Smith

Local club/country
Newcastle upon tyne
250y 3H wow! - I could do that, but so hard not to hook hybrids imho? - Aerodynamic heads with light graphite shafts were "hook monsters" for me! - Fitting a heavy graphite shaft or a steel shaft to match your irons helped me, but in the end 5 & 7 woods work best for me ...
Well it was a freak shot really ran over 50 tards. In summer conditions I normally hit the JPX 825 hybrids with a good shot..

3... about 205
4... about 190
5 ... about 175.

The 3 has a stiff shaft and the others are regular which might explain. The 4 and 5 go nice and straight with a slight draw and quite high but with a good penetration.

The 3 is a monster, as I say... I have hit some absolute stingers, further than I can hit my 3 wood and nearly as far as my driver.
Driver is about 260 these days with a good whack. However that 3H can be an absolute hook machine off the tee.
My gaming stuff at the mo in winter is ...
... JPX 825 9 degree, orochi stiff
.... JPX 825 3 and 5 wood, orochi stock reg
.... 900 Hot Metal... 6 to P + GW + SW (I have the 900 HM .. 4, 5, LW.. but dont use them in the winter). Once the season starts I will use the STX220 Driver, 3W,5W and 4H, 5H, 6H again.
..... MPT105 mallet putter with fat grip

I see all of the beautiful blades on the racks on the wall of my mancave... and look, longingly...
Then I think .... Nah... why make it difficult for yourself 😅😅

Cheers Paul 🙂👍

Steve Smith

Local club/country
Newcastle upon tyne
Speaking of long irons, I’m back on them. Wanted a 2i and hit the new fli hi’s but they weren’t for me. Found a brand new 225 online for half the money and spent the rest on a brand new quality shaft. Made up the club and hey presto. Cheaper than the new clubs and matches by combo set of 221 and 245. And it plays *very* well, outperformed the new fli hi for me by 10 yards 🙌🏻 View attachment 10715
I love the fact that it has loads of helpful tech but looks like a lovely traditional blade.
I love the retro styling that Mizuno has gone back to with the same lettering that adorned their classic 1980's blades, the MS series etc
Lovely 🥰🥰

DennisMiller

HCP
Old Age
Local club/country
Killian Greens Golf Club
Irons
MX-1000
Driver
ST-180
I love the fact that it has loads of helpful tech but looks like a lovely traditional blade.
I love the retro styling that Mizuno has gone back to with the same lettering that adorned their classic 1980's blades, the MS series etc
Lovely 🥰🥰
I find myself constantly thinking, Mizuno irons look like works of art, or something beautifully designed like a surgical instrument, while so many other brqnds make irons that look like farm implements.

Steve Smith

Local club/country
Newcastle upon tyne

On the days I've actually left the 3 wood out of the bag, I've often gotten an odd look from people who see my set makeup. I have no idea why, but all my life, I've simply hit long irons really well. It garnered me the nickname "Bean", for Andy Bean, who was famous for his long iron play. I don't know if I could still hit a 1 iron, but those 2 hybrids are a big help in so many ways.
Well Andy was a big guy and could hit the 1 and 2 iron like Jack. He finished joint 2nd with Irwin in 83 at Birkdale..
I was there as a 17 year old kid with my dad... and watched Tom peach his drive at 18 needing a 4 to win. I remember there was a breeze off the left and Watson hit the sweetest 2 iron ever to 20 feet.
So sad that Andy passed away recently.
Hale had a woft from 2 inches that he imediately looked and owned up to, that is pure class 😊😊
He was asked about it and said... it happened in the 3rd round and had no bearing on the final result, end of ! 😊

As a young 17 year old lad at my club after that in 83 with my mates the juniors, the "in" joke was if you knocked a long putt to a couple of inches then the quote was ... "I'll just Hale Irwin it in "
😅😅

Halebopp

HCP
Local club/country
Lakeside Golf Vammala, Finland
Irons
MP-H5/53/4
Driver
MP-650/ST180
A couple of new toys from Golfbidder a Cleveland RTX ZipCore 50/10 and a MP-T5 54/12. I kind of felt stupid paying around 70€ for used wedges but the 54° is practically new. It looks like it has been hit only a handful of times indoors using clean balls (the head was rated 7). You can see the Cleveland, rated as 6, has actually been outside for a couple of rounds but no dings and the grooves are effectively new. My first practice session with it will cause more wear to it than what it has now. The 50° is my "rock & root" club so there's no point in buying them new anyway.

Now I just need to remove the grips, extend them and put the grips back on.

Wedget 25.jpg

Robbo016

HCP
Local club/country
Saunton / Puckrup Hall GC
Irons
MP64's 3-5 MP5 6-Pw +0.5" 2 degs up Tour Modus 105 S Scotty SM9Wedges 50, 54 & 60 Scotty putter 3-3-3-5
Driver
Taylormade Stealth 2+ Fujikura Ventus S-75
New bats have arrived, week ago now, 243 4-PW and the STG 5 Wood.. overall super impressed with the irons… but the 5 wood - just woah - superb piece of kit…

DennisMiller

HCP
Old Age
Local club/country
Killian Greens Golf Club
Irons
MX-1000
Driver
ST-180
"I'll just Hale Irwin it in "
😅😅
I hadn't thought about that in years, but I definitely remember seeing it on television. Initially, I thought he had been disturbed by someone in the gallery and just stood up, because it looked like he raised his head to look somewhere other than at the hole. I was surprised when he tapped in the putt and the commentary caught up with the situation to say it was a genuine wiff.

DennisMiller

HCP
Old Age
Local club/country
Killian Greens Golf Club
Irons
MX-1000
Driver
ST-180
I bought a second set of the arthritic grips and this afternoon, put them on my Mizuno set. I played 9 holes this morning with the Cleveland set that already had grips like these on them and I was very happy with the feel of the grips. I may play again Wednesday and I'll use the Mizunos then.

HCP
Local club/country
Fabulous Frinton on Sea ESSEX
Irons
MP53 4-PW MPT 10 51 & 54 deg various fairways & hybrids plus MX23, MP18MMC, MMC hi fli CLK hybrids T7 wedges
Driver
Mizuno MX700 JPX EZ ,GT & ST180 & ST180G
More balls I have over a thousand now, please don't tell the wife. I have them hidden under the bed in the spare bedroom.

Top Bottom