Wedge loft adjustment clarification

Alastair Gibson

HCP
Local club/country
FIFE
Hi

A question which has arisen in another post.

It has been stated by MPX (Mizuno staff) that Mizuno do not bend lofts on wedges by more than 1 degree due to it effecting bounce characteristic's

Due to being a lefty (cursed species in Mizuno eyes haha) and only being able to order wedges in 52, 56 and 60 i have all three of my MPR wedges bent forward to 50, 54 and 58 respectively to suit distance gapping.

The 56 and 60 wedges were "bent" by my local pro, however, the 52 was ordered custom fit bent to 50, Mizuno bent it(as far as im aware)and sent it to me this way!

Please could a member of staff clarify the position here, i was happy with the way all my wedges played (bounced) until this seed of doubt was sown!

Thanks Al

Deemac

HCP
Local club/country
Torrance House Golf Club EK
Irons
MP 69's
Driver
Mizuno JPX 850 Fujikura Orochi 60g Stiff
Al, What seed of doubt was sown? If you are happy with the way the clubs play, what's now on your mind? Is it that the clubs may not actually be bent to the lofts you think they are, or are you worried about the bounce angle?

D.

Alastair Gibson

HCP
Local club/country
FIFE
Deemac,

Bit of both really!

I know that the 56 and 60 are at 54 and 58! I had them all checked for loft and lie start of season but the 52 is newer and came from Cumbernauld bent (i assume!!) so im not so sure about it.

Further to that my Bunker play is (at best) ordinary and my bad shot is digging into the sand! im wondering whether that is in part my ropey technique and part due to me "bending" all the bounce off my wedges.

I would say the bunker is certainly where i'd need the bounce the most!

Like i say the seed has been planted now!!

Thoughts and reaasurance welcome haha!

Al

Deemac

HCP
Local club/country
Irons
MP 69's
Driver
Al,

You certainly need loft on your sand wedge!!

I understand that you wanted the correct graduation in your wedge set-up... Is there another club in the bag that you rarely use??

If so, would you consider ditching it in favour of a proper sand wedge (something like - 58deg loft 12deg bounce)?

That way, you could keep the wedge set-up that you are happy with, hitting off the grass, but have the comfort of a real sand wedge to get you out of trouble when required...

I see from your profile, that you have a 4-wedge setup! PW (which I presume is 48deg), 52, 56, 60. Do you really need all these wedges? Could you not go for a compromise...

PW, 53, 58 (sand), 60 lob??

Just a thought... D.

Alastair Gibson

HCP
Local club/country
FIFE
Deemac,

MX Irons have stronger lofts so my PW is 46 standard (i believe) then my 3 MPR wedges are bent to 50, 54, 58 respectively

That gives me distances around 135, 120, 105 and 90 for my wedges which allows me to hit a full wedge for most second shots on an average length hole (350 to 420) I really find this more beneficial than carrying an extra longer club as i dont struggle for distance. (You can probably tell i have given this far too much thought haha!)

I use either 54 or 58 from sand but now thinking that both are a little down on bounce due to "bend" effect.

Think that unless im playing a monster long course a good selection of wedges, and being able to make a full swing as often as possible for accurate distance control is more important than a bag full of long clubs which leave the bag once a round!

So maybe i need a 5 wedge set up!!!! drop the 4 iron and go with 3,5 gap and maybe bend the 5 iron 1 degree strong. (Hmm theres a thought)

Either that or need to stay out of the sand!!

BigPete

HCP
Local club/country
Ruthin and Pwllglas
I was about to recommend the mx wedges - but then realised the left hand thing.

How about 51 56 60 then theres only 1* of bending?

Have you tried the mpt10 wedges yet btw?

Also I've found the shafts have a big influence in distance - I have stock shafts in my wedges, heavier than my irons but I like this - nice and solid.

Just some more stuff to think about too much but I'm guessing you've thought about these options....

It also appears as if "the lofts CAN be adjusted 2* but they wouldn't really recommend more than 1*" seems to be the company line.

Deemac

HCP
Local club/country
Irons
MP 69's
Driver
Alastair Gibson said:
Deemac,

MX Irons have stronger lofts so my PW is 46 standard (i believe) then my 3 MPR wedges are bent to 50, 54, 58 respectively

That gives me distances around 135, 120, 105 and 90 for my wedges which allows me to hit a full wedge for most second shots on an average length hole (350 to 420) I really find this more beneficial than carrying an extra longer club as i dont struggle for distance. (You can probably tell i have given this far too much thought haha!)

I use either 54 or 58 from sand but now thinking that both are a little down on bounce due to "bend" effect.

Think that unless im playing a monster long course a good selection of wedges, and being able to make a full swing as often as possible for accurate distance control is more important than a bag full of long clubs which leave the bag once a round!

So maybe i need a 5 wedge set up!!!! drop the 4 iron and go with 3,5 gap and maybe bend the 5 iron 1 degree strong. (Hmm theres a thought)

Either that or need to stay out of the sand!!
Al,

It's all getting too complicated... best just stay out of the sand mate!! ;-)

D.

Alastair Gibson

HCP
Local club/country
FIFE
Deemac,

Thats my plan going forward

Pete,

Not had a chance to try MPT10 Wedges yet,

cant get MX Wedges in lefty but i like feel and look of the bladed wedges anyway! Think thats one area where precision far outweighs forgiveness.

My wedges are on their second set of shafts already and i love the Rifles!!

I think having given it some thought that other than the minor compromise of having to work harder to get them "bouncing" in the sand, i could not be happier with my wedge set up. Nothing's perfect!!

Does anyone use groove sharpeners? I've just ordered one to use on my wedges. I kinda realise that its not likely to leave them looking very pretty, but its that or ordering nearly £300 worth of new wedges cos my grooves are getting a bit done in!

Deemac

HCP
Local club/country
Irons
MP 69's
Driver
I use a groove sharpener!

It beats buying new wedges!! And gets the "zip" back!!

unbeatenthisyear

HCP
Local club/country
UK
Irons
MP-64
Driver
JPX Proto
Alastair

Please the bottom of this page - http://golf.mizunoeurope.com/wedges/mp_t-10/

We will bend +/- 2 degrees. In reality they could be bent further but we don't recommend that as the bounce and offset are dramatically affected. A forging can actually be bent up to 4 or 5 degrees but this will cause creasing around the neck and there's a risk the club could eventually break in to - so we obviously don't recommend going to that extreme.

Best regards, UTY

Alastair Gibson

HCP
Local club/country
FIFE
UTY,

Thats the reassurance i was looking for.

Now i can go back to playing rubbish sand shots with the confidence that any errors are my own not my wedges.!!!!!

Im away to the beach for a week to get my sand play in order.

Thank you Al

Top Bottom