U S OPEN @ Olympic Club (spoilers)

ChrisP

Local club/country
Hawarden
Deemac said:
Watching some of the coverage...

Butch, Monty and Jack in the commentary box... Impressive!!
Sky red button to watch the Luke, Lee & Rory show too, much better....if it works!

Royals

HCP
Local club/country
N/A
Irons
JPX 800s 4-pw Dynalite Gold XP, Mizuno CLK 17* Hybrid), MP T-11 (50*), MP T (54* and 58*), Yes! C-Groove Sandy Putter
Driver
Taylormade RBZ 10.5*, Mizuno F-50 3 wood (15*)
The Brits playing very social golf! Chance to compare short games.

Deemac

HCP
Local club/country
Torrance House Golf Club EK
Irons
MP 69's
Driver
Mizuno JPX 850 Fujikura Orochi 60g Stiff
Ironic that Luke has ended up best out of the three considering the drives...

BigPete

HCP
Local club/country
Ruthin and Pwllglas
That first hole is BRUTAL

http://www.usopen.com/en_US/course/hole.html?n=1

BigPete

HCP
Local club/country
Ruthin and Pwllglas
Albatross for Nick Watney gets him back to evens ^^1

GMac and Peter Lawrie going along nicely

BigPete

HCP
Local club/country
Ruthin and Pwllglas
BigPete said:
Well the dream team group from America is having a 'mare. Tiger's looking ominously tidy and in control, but Phil is +6 and Bubba is +7... they need to motor tomorrow to even make the cut!!

Let's see how the European group (Luke, Lee, Rory) compare....

Not very well is the answer....

Deemac

HCP
Local club/country
Irons
MP 69's
Driver
Bit of a dissaster for the apex predators!!

BloodSweatNPars

Local club/country
Irons
MP 69 4 - PW ~ KBS Tour C Taper 120S
Driver
MP650 9.5
Westwood finished strong(ish); considering he missed nearly every fairway on his first nine. He is most certainly not out of it.

Luke OTOH.... eeesh, he and Phil and Rory are all in the same small cart, on a mean and nasty golf course. I wouldn't bet against either of the three having an outside chance come Sunday.

This certainly, albeit early, looks like a US Open that will finish somewhere around 280 or more... unless rains come and soften the greens a bit. Should be fun.

RobB2

HCP
Local club/country
http://www.lilleshallhallgolfclub.co.uk/
Irons
MP25 4-6,MP5 7-PW,PX 6.0 ,Mizuno T7 50,54,58 all PX6.0,,TM M2 3 wood 15 deg Aldila Rogue Silver 70 stiff,Mizuno JPX 800 3 hybrid Fubuki stiff .TM Spider Tour Black 34".Ball- Vice Pro +
Driver
Taylor Made M2 10.5 Aldila Rogue Silver 70 Stiff
I'm losing interest already.Not my idea of fun watching top class players struggle to make par and sometimes bogies.I agree that it has to be a stiff test but most of the birdies i saw from rnd 1 were chip ins.When you can't keep a 9 iron on the green it's too much for me to watch ,sorry!!The first 6 holes were 426 over par for the field.

Alastair Gibson

HCP
Local club/country
FIFE
RobB2 said:
I'm losing interest already.Not my idea of fun watching top class players struggle to make par and sometimes bogies.I agree that it has to be a stiff test but most of the birdies i saw from rnd 1 were chip ins.When you can't keep a 9 iron on the green it's too much for me to watch ,sorry!!The first 6 holes were 426 over par for the field.
Totally agree with this!

I REALLY hope someone like Michael Thompson, Alistair Presnell, Beau Hossler or Jason Bohn wins this event. Players who have come from obscurity who could not even be considered elite (no disrespect meant to them!). It might finally dawn on the USGA that setting up a golf course to play impossibly difficult does not bring the best to the top it only creates a lottery where ANYONE can win.

When players who were in good form going into the tournament cant break 80 thats not a fair test of golf. B##### ridiculous!!!!

Deemac

HCP
Local club/country
Irons
MP 69's
Driver
It actually creates an interesting debate...

What would we rather watch:

a) Top players eating up courses and hitting 20 under par, or
b) Top players facing a test like the one us amatuers face every time we play and be shown to be mortal

I kind of like it both ways to be honest! Whilst I love to watch how skillful these guys are - I sometimes like to see the top guys struggle a wee bit! Watching guys skelp the ball 300+ yards and put short irons to tap-in distance also gets a bit deflating, when comparing it to my own performance.

But - in principle, I agree... Sometimes the U.S.Open gets a bit silly!

Alastair Gibson

HCP
Local club/country
FIFE
I would love to know what the tournament commitee think of what they are doing;

"WOW guys we sent the top three golfers in the world out together and they came back around 15 over par, we have done a great job here?"

Setting a golf tournament up in such a way that it insults the players is wrong.

Deemac

HCP
Local club/country
Irons
MP 69's
Driver
Alastair Gibson said:
Setting a golf tournament up in such a way that it insults the players is wrong.
Or is every other course set up to flatter the players?

DCB

HCP
Local club/country
Midlothian, Scotland http://www.merchantsgolf.com
Irons
My ReHab Bag - Mizuno JPX 900 HM 5-GW A Shafts, JPX EX 4H, JPX 900 5 & 7 Wood Orochi RL Shafts.
Driver
JPX 900
Deemac said:
Alastair Gibson said:
Or is every other course set up to flatter the players?
I agree with Alastair here, the viewing last night was so disappointing for what is a Major Competition. These guys are the best the game has to offer, they are playing in one of four majors, yet they are made to look like a Sunday afternoon hacker bludgeoning it round an unkempt municipal course somewhere.

It's not a fair test of golf as it is so far removed from anything else they play, anywhere, at any time of year.

If the rest of the courses on Tour are set up too easy then that has to be addressed, but this one is too penal, even for the worlds best.

No-one likes to be made to look stupid, but these top golfers have been made to look at best, average at worst made to look stupid.

Imagine if the 100m track at the Olympics was created in a different manner to all the other 100m tracks around the world, say a softer slower surface making for a slower track. You have to be really good to set a WR on it. The excuse being, well this is the Olympics...... it's meant to be hard and we want the best to rise to the top.

That would never happen at an athletics meet like that. It would soon be demoted and off the circuit if an organiser did that. So why does it happen at one of the Major, and it's not the first time it's happened either. Trouble is it won't be the last either.

RMM

HCP
Local club/country
Golf St. Apollinaire (France)
Irons
MP-68 DG-S300 3, Black Nickel 4 - PW / MP-T11 Black Nickel 50/52/54/56/58/60/64 / Bobby Grace Putter / Back-up irons: MP-60 2-P, MP-67 2-P
Driver
TSi2 10 Tensei blue/ 910F 15 Kai'li / 910F 19 Kai'li
Isn't this course the very same for all the players in the field? This is golf, and no one is to complain about a tricky course. And, I would assume the top three would be the last to complain.

Let's see if and how they strike back today.

Deemac

HCP
Local club/country
Irons
MP 69's
Driver
DCB said:
I agree with Alastair here, the viewing last night was so disappointing for what is a Major Competition. These guys are the best the game has to offer, they are playing in one of four majors, yet they are made to look like a Sunday afternoon hacker bludgeoning it round an unkempt municipal course somewhere.

It's not a fair test of golf as it is so far removed from anything else they play, anywhere, at any time of year.

If the rest of the courses on Tour are set up too easy then that has to be addressed, but this one is too penal, even for the worlds best.

No-one likes to be made to look stupid, but these top golfers have been made to look at best, average at worst made to look stupid.

Imagine if the 100m track at the Olympics was created in a different manner to all the other 100m tracks around the world, say a softer slower surface making for a slower track. You have to be really good to set a WR on it. The excuse being, well this is the Olympics...... it's meant to be hard and we want the best to rise to the top.

That would never happen at an athletics meet like that. It would soon be demoted and off the circuit if an organiser did that. So why does it happen at one of the Major, and it's not the first time it's happened either. Trouble is it won't be the last either.
Great points you make DCB!

I do not have a strongly held opinion one way or another, I'm just trying to prompt the debate...

ChrisP

Local club/country
Hawarden
It's all Rory's fault, humiliating the toughest test in golf last year ;).... we knew there would be payback!

Seriosuly though it was weird seeing guys strike in a perfectly good 8 iron to a few feet of the green and just have it run off the back. The greens are too hard ontop of all the other challenge.

Royals

HCP
Local club/country
N/A
Irons
JPX 800s 4-pw Dynalite Gold XP, Mizuno CLK 17* Hybrid), MP T-11 (50*), MP T (54* and 58*), Yes! C-Groove Sandy Putter
Driver
Taylormade RBZ 10.5*, Mizuno F-50 3 wood (15*)
What happens to Luke on Thursdays of Majors? He seems to be out of contention before Friday quite often. Is he just putting too much pressure on himself?

Deemac

HCP
Local club/country
Irons
MP 69's
Driver
McDowell going along nicely...

BigPete

HCP
Local club/country
Ruthin and Pwllglas
20 minutes ago the field was 1084 over par and rising.... fun to watch?

Anyone still watching?

Top Bottom