Old Age
Local club/country
Killian Greens Golf Club
Irons
MX-1000
Driver
ST-180
Here's what's happening...

When my hands and shoulders started bothering me, I went to senior flex shafts in an effort to make a shorter swing and avoid the pain. As I recovered after surgery, my swing speeds have recovered to speeds effective for regular flex shafts. I'm definitely not getting rid of my JPX900 Hot Metal irons with the senior flex shafts, but I want to put together a set with regular flex.

Considering what's best for me, I know I need some amount of game improvement built in. I'm currently looking at some JPX-850 Forged irons and some of the 2015 JPX-EZ irons.

Suggestions??? Thoughts??? Donations??? ;-)

Last edited:

DennisMiller

HCP
Old Age
Local club/country
Killian Greens Golf Club
Irons
MX-1000
Driver
ST-180
Further to the above, it's beginning to look like the 850 Forged might be the better choice. It's 5-PW, R300 shafts, 1" extra long. The EZ set is 1/2" longer and regular flex graphite, but it's 6-SW. I'd have to find a 5 iron at the least. I'd like a 4 iron too, but the luck to find 2 matching clubs would be extraordinary.

Your thoughts?

Halebopp

HCP
Local club/country
Lakeside Golf Vammala, Finland
Irons
MP-H5/53/4
Driver
MP-650/ST180
I'd go with the forged of the two.

LOS

Local club/country
England
What about the difference in shaft weight Dennis ? Are you going from lightweight graphite to 100+gm steel shafts and is your increase in swing speed with the graphite shaft or with a heavier steel shaft ?

DennisMiller

HCP
Old Age
Local club/country
Killian Greens Golf Club
Irons
MX-1000
Driver
ST-180
My swing speeds were measured in the booth at a local store. I was using my graphite 900 Hot Metal irons.

LOS

Local club/country
England
If the increase was with your present shaft what do you perceive as the problem? Are you now hitting the ball too high, loosing control of shots or...?
There is nothing wrong with a bit of extra speed unless it is causing an issue. If there is an issue I would suggest you try a few different weight shafts before buying, assuming there is somewhere local that you can.
I have been using regular graphite shafts in my irons, 95gm steel in wedges, for the last 9 years and I have no intention of going back to heavier steel shafts in my irons.

DennisMiller

HCP
Old Age
Local club/country
Killian Greens Golf Club
Irons
MX-1000
Driver
ST-180
The Shafts in my 900 Hot Metal irons are senior flex, not to mention extra long, (40" 4 iron), so they may be even softer, given the extra length.

As I've gotten stronger, control has become a bit inconsistent. Then, as I get tired towards the end of the round, my swing obviously slows down and things are better. It's a pretty confusing issue.

I would love a set of the EZ irons with graphite shafts, but I can't find anything available that's long enough. The 850 Forged, at 1" longer, might be worth a try.

I hit some old Ping G20 irons irons the other day. Cheap as they are, extra long and upright, they might be a decent stop gap until I find the set I really want.

DennisMiller

HCP
Old Age
Local club/country
Killian Greens Golf Club
Irons
MX-1000
Driver
ST-180
The golfing gods must be smiling on me.

Another set of the 2015 EZ irons came up for sale last night. They are 1" longer, so a bit more to my specs. They are also 6-LW, so I have the original problem of figuring out how to fill certain gaps where I would have long irons. With graphite shafts, opposed to the 850 Forged with steel, I think the EZ is a better club for me. I'm meeting the seller tomorrow afternoon to check them out and see if they are in as good a condition as he says. We're going to meet near Planet Golf, so I can take them there later to check the lie on each club.

I have a small variety of hybridsw, not all Mizunos, so I'll figure out what to do for long irons in some way, shape or form.

DennisMiller

HCP
Old Age
Local club/country
Killian Greens Golf Club
Irons
MX-1000
Driver
ST-180
I bought the EZ irons this morning, changed the grips on them when I got home and I'm playing with them tomorrow morning, weather permitting.

Top Bottom