CH919Forged

HCP
Local club/country
Shandon Park NI
Irons
JPX 919 Forged 4-GW
Driver
Callaway XR 10.5 Project X Stiff
Aside from good wet suit, rain gloves, chamois in the bag, nitrile surgical gloves, stay in the car/clubhouse? Anyone any good tips for battling the elements? Looks like we're due a wet one this weekend!

Br1an_g

HCP
Local club/country
Downfield
Irons
Srixon ZX5 mk2 4-gw Nippon modus NS pro 105x
Driver
Callaway rogue st max 9.5 fujikura vista pro 65s,
Decent hand warmers in a warm mitt for between shots. Hand warmer in the bottom of the bag to help keep grips dry. Generally avoid playing in the rain these days, means a range session for me..

PaulBoy

HCP
WHS 7.0
Local club/country
Army GC
Irons
Mizuno Pro 223 (4-AW) Modus3 120s
Driver
Titleist TSi2 Graphite Design Tour AD XC-50s
Aside from good wet suit, rain gloves, chamois in the bag, nitrile surgical gloves, stay in the car/clubhouse? Anyone any good tips for battling the elements? Looks like we're due a wet one this weekend!
Sadly being in NI you will get more rain than most (I'm from Antrim btw) - People here have said to me that I play well in the rain & I believe that is because of my upbringing in NI - If you didn't learn how to play in the rain, you didn't play much! - You have covered everything you can with the list of gear, though you didn't mention an umbrella? - If you use a trolley, make sure you have a brolley holder fitted to it - You can stay under it most of the round & just nip out to hit your shots - Much harder to stay dry if you are carrying - Good luck ...

WalkerCup

HCP
Scratch
Local club/country
British Isles
Irons
Mizuno JPX 921 Forged 4-PW KBS Tour 120 Stiff , 3 Deg up plus 1”
Driver
Ping G425 Max 10.5 HZRDS Blue Stiff
Spae gloves in sealed food bags & Towels in plastic shopping bags in golf bag is always a good start. Jam a couple of small golf towels inside the top of the bag between irons too. The best tip I would say though is play with an L Glove instead of a ML Glove, so one size up than normal, easy to get on and off. Also always have a spare ball in your pocket so that you an alternate between holes, a wam ball flies further.

CH919Forged

HCP
Local club/country
Shandon Park NI
Irons
JPX 919 Forged 4-GW
Driver
Sadly being in NI you will get more rain than most (I'm from Antrim btw) - People here have said to me that I play well in the rain & I believe that is because of my upbringing in NI - If you didn't learn how to play in the rain, you didn't play much! - You have covered everything you can with the list of gear, though you didn't mention an umbrella? - If you use a trolley, make sure you have a brolley holder fitted to it - You can stay under it most of the round & just nip out to hit your shots - Much harder to stay dry if you are carrying - Good luck ...
You know the score we get stupid amounts of rain even in the summer! I normally carry a bag but trolley might be the way forward.

CH919Forged

HCP
Local club/country
Shandon Park NI
Irons
JPX 919 Forged 4-GW
Driver
Decent hand warmers in a warm mitt for between shots. Hand warmer in the bottom of the bag to help keep grips dry. Generally avoid playing in the rain these days, means a range session for me..
Mitts are essential when it's freezing! Hand warmer in the bag I've not tried yet but could well give it a go! Avoiding the rain is the most sensible option.

CH919Forged

HCP
Local club/country
Shandon Park NI
Irons
JPX 919 Forged 4-GW
Driver
Spae gloves in sealed food bags & Towels in plastic shopping bags in golf bag is always a good start. Jam a couple of small golf towels inside the top of the bag between irons too. The best tip I would say though is play with an L Glove instead of a ML Glove, so one size up than normal, easy to get on and off. Also always have a spare ball in your pocket so that you an alternate between holes, a wam ball flies further.
All great advice. Remember reading something about keeping a sleeve of balls on the radiator night before playing. Never tried it. I'd be liable jump in the car and leave them at home.

PaulBoy

HCP
WHS 7.0
Local club/country
Army GC
Irons
Mizuno Pro 223 (4-AW) Modus3 120s
Driver
Titleist TSi2 Graphite Design Tour AD XC-50s
You know the score we get stupid amounts of rain even in the summer! I normally carry a bag but trolley might be the way forward.
Summertime, that's a laugh! - When I lived in NI it used to rain twice a week ... Once for four days & once for three days! :D

Halebopp

HCP
Local club/country
Lakeside Golf Vammala, Finland
Irons
MP-H5/53/4
Driver
MP-650/ST180
A cart with an umbrella holder is a huge improvement over carrying your bag. I bought a used ClicGear 3.0 some eight years ago and it's still going strong after some 600 rounds on it myself. As a tall person the adjustable umbrella holder was a must though. It's slightly irritating that the umbrella is right in the middle of the handle but at least it gives the best protection there, as opposed to being on either side. My umbrella looks like a Christmas tree when I hang a towel and gloves from its stretchers.

I prefer to play with rain gloves instead of "winter gloves" and have a pair of proper golf mittens with me. I'd look for a pair of mittens with magnets in their cuffs to get them to stick together, making it a lot more difficult to lose either one and a lot easier to pick up etc.

DMT

HCP
Local club/country
Celtic Manor
Irons
JPX Tour 919 (5-PW) 50, 54 and 60 degree Vokeys
Driver
Ping G 10.5 Tour Stiff
A hat with a large brim. I never used to enjoy playing in the rain but this has made a world of difference. No more water down the back of my neck. I look ridiculous but am old enough not to care!

2klix

HCP
Local club/country
Thorney Park Golf Club, Iver, Bucks
Irons
JPX 900 Chromoly 4&5i, 900 Forged 6-PW, Mizuno MP-T7 50°, 55°, 60° (all irons KBS Tour 90 Stiff)
Driver
Mizuno JPX900 10.5° Fujikura6 Stiff Shaft
A cart with an umbrella holder is a huge improvement over carrying your bag. I bought a used ClicGear 3.0 some eight years ago and it's still going strong after some 600 rounds on it myself. As a tall person the adjustable umbrella holder was a must though. It's slightly irritating that the umbrella is right in the middle of the handle but at least it gives the best protection there, as opposed to being on either side. My umbrella looks like a Christmas tree when I hang a towel and gloves from its stretchers.

I prefer to play with rain gloves instead of "winter gloves" and have a pair of proper golf mittens with me. I'd look for a pair of mittens with magnets in their cuffs to get them to stick together, making it a lot more difficult to lose either one and a lot easier to pick up etc.
I use trolley and umbrella and hook a trifold towel up under the umbrella, helps to keep it dry(er) and wipe things down between shots. I also keep spare gloves in sandwich bags and have a few glove stretcher which helps keep shape of wet glove and dries quicker. Can get them on Amazon. Always empty bag and take head covers off to avoid rust spots on clubs post round 😉

DennisMiller

HCP
Old Age
Local club/country
Killian Greens Golf Club
Irons
MX-1000
Driver
ST-180
I definitely need to learn something from this thread. During the summer afternoons, we get lots of rain. I carry a rain suit, (pants and long sleeve coat), FJ rain gloves I don't feel help much, a huge Mizuno umbrella. I also have the typical snap on cover for my bag, which I spray with Thompson's Water Seal every season.

None the less, I never seem to feel prepared and if it rains on the course, I usually just go back to the clubhouse and either wait it out or quit. Somehow, I always seem to get wet, no matter what I do.

Top Bottom