HCP
Old Age
Local club/country
Killian Greens Golf Club
Irons
MX-1000
Driver
ST-180
Without going into too much detail, my game is deteriorating as rapidly as my arthritic spinal column. I need to invent a set of clubs that will let me keep playing.

I recently had the opportunity to play a set of the Cleveland HB Turbo irons that are all hybrids. I have to admit I was impressed, but I still have a bit of talent with short irons and wedges those huge soles don't let me take advantage of. The obvious answer would seem to be putting together a set of hybrids up to around the 7 iron and normal irons after that.

I came across what appears to be, by design, a mixed set of Mizuno irons on eBay, JPX-800, hybrids from the 3 iron up to the 6 iron and regular irons from the 7 iron through the gap wedge. My experiences with a one length set suggest to me that I'd do certain modifications to the irons, lengthening them, backweighting them myself, and basically creating a 2 length or 3 length set.

Can anyone fill me in on this model? My experiences with Mizuno clubs started with irons made after that model was a running number. I don't think I knew they existed. For the price and the apparent condition in the photos, I'd say it's a good value. It might be a cheap way to experiment with this kind of set design and upgrade it if the concept works for me.

I'd just like to know if anyone has experience with that era of irons to know if they were good, respected, had issues or what.

Your thoughts?

Thanks,
Dennis

LOS

Local club/country
England
I have no experience with any of the jpx800 models but due to a health issue this year I have gone back to playing MX300's, which preceded the 800's and had a 1* weaker lofts, and I have no issues with these. I play 6-PW irons. 50* and 56* T wedges, use non Mizuno adjustable hybrids to get my gapping "correct?".

I don't know how popular the 800's were and they were never submitted to the R&A. Japan and Asia had several variants and the specs I could find are:-
Hybrids
https://products.mizuno.jp/c/item/43BB73270/040016011
1635063019276.png
Irons
https://www.mizuno.co.kr/golf/club/history/Components/club_list/11_jpx800/view.aspx
1635063091840.png

PaulBoy

HCP
WHS 7.0
Local club/country
Army GC
Irons
Mizuno Pro 223 (4-AW) Modus3 120s
Driver
Titleist TSi2 Graphite Design Tour AD XC-50s
Hi Dennis ... Nice to see you here! - As LOS mentioned the JPX800 was the range that came after the MX irons - I think there was the JPX800 JPX825 & JPX850 before they changed to the JPX900 (?) - If (as you are in the US) you get Japan version of irons, might be worth checking which you are looking at? - Anyway, lots of people here would have used the JPX 8 series clubs & as far as I know they are everything you would expect from a Mizuno iron - Some, but not all, were forged heads & you could certainly buy hybrids to use instead of the longer irons - Good luck in your search ... Paul

LOS

Local club/country
England
Hi Dennis ... Nice to see you here! - As LOS mentioned the JPX800 was the range that came after the MX irons - Paul
Hi Paul, With Mizuno's "method of nomenclature" the MX range did continue, just not in Europe.

1635074980357.png

Dennis will need to check which 800 model he was looking at.

1635075104642.png

DCB

HCP
Local club/country
Midlothian, Scotland http://www.merchantsgolf.com
Irons
My ReHab Bag - Mizuno JPX 900 HM 5-GW A Shafts, JPX EX 4H, JPX 900 5 & 7 Wood Orochi RL Shafts.
Driver
JPX 900
A bit late to the party on this one Dennis.

After my accident back in 2014 I had to review my full bag in order to get back on the course. I have over time ended up with two sets which can be mix & matched with some short irons from my 64s depending on which type of course I play.

I go for a mix of JPX EZs and JPX 900 HMs for parkland along with JPX utility clubs in 3&4. If I'm playing out and out links, then 8-W are from my MP64s and the rest a mix as before. I find this works well for me. I'm not trying to shoot the lights out, I'm just trying to get the ball on the green as easily as possible, so my mix and match approach works really well for me. I've gone Senior Flex shafts in the HMs and EZs with mid size grips. I have no qualms about turning up with a bag of mismatched clubs, because the do work for me.

Hope you get sorted out Dennis.

DCB

Steve Smith

Local club/country
Newcastle upon tyne
Hi Dennis

I too am experiencing the shorter swing as I get older...

I recently took some videos and my swing is short but my shoulder turn is still very good..

I always fantasise about having a swing like the late great Payne Stewart... many many better golfers than him but his swing was a work of art, pure beauty, flowing perfection.

I have recently been to the range with a set of MP37s, 5 to P with R300, they work really well and are long and quite forgiving. I combined that with a 3 and 4 hybrid CLK from 2007 with a standard reg graphite shaft and the small heads were both forgiving and workable. I used an old F60 5 wood circa 2007 with a stock regular (quite firm) and it went a bloody mile .. high penetrating with a nice draw...

Then its all about the Driver... 15 years ago I used to hit my MP001 with a regular Graffalloy Prolaunch a country mile 🤩🤩

It is all about what you feel suits you Den...

I think get a shaft that is just very slightly softer than you are fitted for... then you can go at it easier and get better results.

Just my humble opinion mate

Steve Smith

Local club/country
Newcastle upon tyne
Hi Dennis ... Nice to see you here! - As LOS mentioned the JPX800 was the range that came after the MX irons - I think there was the JPX800 JPX825 & JPX850 before they changed to the JPX900 (?) - If (as you are in the US) you get Japan version of irons, might be worth checking which you are looking at? - Anyway, lots of people here would have used the JPX 8 series clubs & as far as I know they are everything you would expect from a Mizuno iron - Some, but not all, were forged heads & you could certainly buy hybrids to use instead of the longer irons - Good luck in your search ... Paul

Steve Smith

Local club/country
Newcastle upon tyne
I think as we get older we have to accept we can not keep up with the young lads anymore distance wise and we just have to play our own game.

Dont hit it harder, hit it better 🥰🥰

Top Bottom