DMT

HCP
Local club/country
Celtic Manor
Irons
JPX Tour 919 (5-PW) 50, 54 and 60 degree Vokeys
Driver
Ping G 10.5 Tour Stiff
Hi, does anyone have any particular favourites when it comes to a pair of thermal golf gloves, and if so why? I’m thinking of getting a pair but would want them reasonably thin I think as I’m not used to wearing two gloves (like most of us I suspect). I’ll be buying online hence no opportunity to try them on beforehand. Many thanks.

PaulBoy

HCP
WHS 7.0
Local club/country
Army GC
Irons
Mizuno Pro 223 (4-AW) Modus3 120s
Driver
Titleist TSi2 Graphite Design Tour AD XC-50s
Hi Dan ... You're in Wales so I'd recommend Marigolds! - On a serious note, I always bought Footjoy WinterSof, which certainly keep your hands warm - It took a while to get used to there being two gloves to wear, but they are reasonably thin (nothing like leather sadly, but you do have to compromise to keep warm) - I tried a pair of Under Armour winter gloves & hated them (far too cumbersome) so I went back to WinterSof last season & unless I find something better, will stick with them for the foreseeable ... Paul
PS - Before someone suggests over-mitts, tried them, but was always dropping them / losing them, so no good for a old geezer like me obviously!

MrK20

Local club/country
Germany
Irons
Mizuno / MP 20 HMB; MP 20; T20 / 2; 3-9; 49, 54, 60, Nippon Modus 120 S
Driver
Mizuno / ST-Z / D, 3W, 5W / JPX900 22H / CLK 25H. MRC Diamana D+(D, 3W, 5W) , Fujikura SIX R(22), Fujikura Speeder Hb 85 (25)
I have used both the Footjoy WinterSof and the Mizuno Thermal Gloves. Both have negatives in my eye.
The Footjoy Wintersof being the worse of the two, it does keep the hands quite warm but I had absolutely no Grip with them they were very slippery and I have tried a few pair. Also for some reason no matter what size I bought the stitching always tore apart after 2 or 3 swings then letting all the cold in. Not using these anymore but maybe they just didn't work for me.
The Mizuno Thermal Gloves do have much better Grip and they are quite longlasting. They keep the hands reasonably warm AS LONG AS they are dry. As soon as even one drop of water gets on the outside of those, it goes inside the Gloves and your hands will forever feel cold. I usually have to put them off when that happens because my hands are then warmer without them on. But as long as it's just cold but dry they are fantastic. Not usable for dizzy rainy miserable weather though.
Hope that helps in some regard.

Halebopp

HCP
Local club/country
Lakeside Golf Vammala, Finland
Irons
MP-H5/53/4
Driver
MP-650/ST180
I concur with MrK, I've resorted to just having a pair of mittens and a normal glove. The mittens are guaranteed to keep my hands warm, I get my normal feel on the club and those are easier to take off when you need to.

DMT

HCP
Local club/country
Celtic Manor
Irons
Driver
Ping G 10.5 Tour Stiff
Thanks. Always useful to hear the experience of others. Think I’ll maybe buy two pairs with a view to sending one back. I already have FJ wet/rain gloves (maybe I’ll consider Marigolds next time Paul) so was after a pair for cold but not wet. I also have mittens so maybe I just need to man up. Cheers again for the replies.

DCB

HCP
Local club/country
Midlothian, Scotland http://www.merchantsgolf.com
Irons
My ReHab Bag - Mizuno JPX 900 HM 5-GW A Shafts, JPX EX 4H, JPX 900 5 & 7 Wood Orochi RL Shafts.
Driver
JPX 900
I've had a pair of Under Armour gloves in the bag for quite a while. Good value for money and they do the job. If it gets too bad and the big mitts are needed, then the clubhouse becons. I no longer play in cold , wet weather ;)

DMT

HCP
Local club/country
Celtic Manor
Irons
Driver
Ping G 10.5 Tour Stiff
Just in case anyone is thinking of getting some.....my initial thoughts.

For context in FJ normal gloves I’m a M/L.

Ordered 2x UA (a medium and a large)....Footjoy large (didn’t have M or M/L).....and the Mizuno in M/L.

UA felt too tight, even in the L. FJ felt too large and bulky. I do think they would have been the warmest.

Kept the Mizuno M/L. Nice fit, have hit a few on the range and pretty happy with them.

Thanks for all the initial comments. Cheers.

PaulBoy

HCP
WHS 7.0
Local club/country
Army GC
Irons
Mizuno Pro 223 (4-AW) Modus3 120s
Driver
Titleist TSi2 Graphite Design Tour AD XC-50s
Hi Dan ... If you don't have a home for the FJ gloves I will take them off your hands (so to speak)
Paul

DMT

HCP
Local club/country
Celtic Manor
Irons
Driver
Ping G 10.5 Tour Stiff
Hi Paul, sorry, only just noticed your post. They were returned sorry with a few other items. I think I’ll be back at the post office later this week too having ordered about 6 different jackets in the recent promotions/sales!

DMT

HCP
Local club/country
Celtic Manor
Irons
Driver
Ping G 10.5 Tour Stiff
.....new irons arriving too in the next week or two hopefully ?

Top Bottom