THE OPEN... (Not that American immitation)

DennisMiller

HCP
Old Age
Local club/country
Killian Greens Golf Club
Irons
MX-1000
Driver
ST-180
It's moving day. Anyone want to guess who will make the biggest move, or who will win in the end.

I'm watching Brooks Koepka closely and I also like John Rahm's chances. I was really sorry to see Rory miss the cut. That must have been one of the biggest disappointments of his career. So much has been made of the Northern Ireland versus Republic differences and how golf has been the one common agreeable ground. It makes me proud to have played this game for over 65 years now. I think there was enormous pressure on the Irish golfers to play well.

i love the look of Royal Portrush too, but one thing bugs me. The Fescue rough seems to me to be dangerous. Watching the best golfers in the world hack their way out of it, I worry a shot from that stuff could destroy a career, causing a back injury. I know someone would likely comment that you aren't supposed to hit it in the rough, but that Fescue looks dangerous to me.

I can't wait to watch it all tomorrow!

DennisMiller

HCP
Old Age
Local club/country
Killian Greens Golf Club
Irons
MX-1000
Driver
ST-180
Incredible tournament played by Lowery. Wish some of you would have liked to talk about it as it went along.

DCB

HCP
Local club/country
Midlothian, Scotland http://www.merchantsgolf.com
Irons
My ReHab Bag - Mizuno JPX 900 HM 5-GW A Shafts, JPX EX 4H, JPX 900 5 & 7 Wood Orochi RL Shafts.
Driver
JPX 900
Spent most of the weekend glued to the TV. Lowry played the round of his life on Saturday which set him up for Sunday. he still had to play well in the conditions, but, he did that and was the deserved winner. Great weeks golf, great course and great coverage on SKy once again.

PaulBoy

HCP
WHS 7.0
Local club/country
Army GC
Irons
Mizuno Pro 223 (4-AW) Modus3 120s
Driver
Titleist TSi2 Graphite Design Tour AD XC-50s
It's moving day. Anyone want to guess who will make the biggest move, or who will win in the end.

I'm watching Brooks Koepka closely and I also like John Rahm's chances. I was really sorry to see Rory miss the cut. That must have been one of the biggest disappointments of his career. So much has been made of the Northern Ireland versus Republic differences and how golf has been the one common agreeable ground. It makes me proud to have played this game for over 65 years now. I think there was enormous pressure on the Irish golfers to play well.

i love the look of Royal Portrush too, but one thing bugs me. The Fescue rough seems to me to be dangerous. Watching the best golfers in the world hack their way out of it, I worry a shot from that stuff could destroy a career, causing a back injury. I know someone would likely comment that you aren't supposed to hit it in the rough, but that Fescue looks dangerous to me.

I can't wait to watch it all tomorrow!
From my experience it isn't the fescue itself that is the real issue - The fescue is the wirey long stemmed grass that looks pretty daunting but if you can get to the back of the ball isn't too penal - It will wrap round the club if your path to the ball comes through it, but you try to avoid this by keeping steep or anyway you can - The really awful stuff at RP was the thick rough combined with the fescue - Like hitting out of a cabbage patch or seaweed! - That could do you some real harm
As to Shane Lowry ... I agree with DCB that he won the Open with his 63 on Saturday - With the incoming weather that was forecast (& arrived - welcome to summer Co Antrim style!) he avoided the players behind him who could post a low score & pile the pressure on him - He is a past master at playing in bad weather - As the saying goes in Ireland "if you don't play in bad weather, you don't play very much!" - Well done Shane \o/

Top Bottom