HCP
Local club/country
Lakeside Golf Vammala, Finland
Irons
MP-H5/53/4
Driver
MP-650/ST180
Hi,

I found a very good deal for a new ST180 driver online but it comes with the Tensei CK Orange 50 shaft. The reviews of the club seem to be very positive even in comparison to the newer models.

Mitsubishi says the shaft works for 92-105 MPH swing speeds and I'm around 103-108 (the last time I checked but that was a couple of years ago). It's 57 grams whereas the Orochi Red Eye in my 650 is 65 grams but a bit lighter shaft might suit me fine. What worries me slightly is the torque of 5.9. Even so it should be low spin and low launch so it might work and I do like counter-balanced shafts.

I wonder if it's anywhere close to the ballpark of shafts I should be using (the SwingDNA is still probably around 90/4/4/6/6). Does anyone have any comments or other information on the shaft? All the reviews seem to be about the Pro versions.

Any info is appreciated.

PaulBoy

HCP
WHS 7.0
Local club/country
Army GC
Irons
Mizuno Pro 223 (4-AW) Modus3 120s
Driver
Titleist TSi2 Graphite Design Tour AD XC-50s
The Tensei Orange is a very good shaft, which as you say, has lots of positive reviews - Lots of the top Pros use the CK Pro version which is even better (& much more expensive!) - It is a counterbalanced shaft, mid launch & low spin - I picked up a 50 like the one you are considering & in the main I hit it very well - The feel of the shaft was very nice, but I just felt for my swing it was just a bit on the light side? - If I really went after it, I felt I lost control compared to the slightly heavier shafts I usually get on best with - Most recently I have used Aldila Rogue 60 / Hzrdus Black 60 / T1100 White 60 & my current shaft a V2 Black 60 - All these shafts are in stiff flex - I would still really like to try the Tensei Orange 60, but haven't seen a used one a the right price (yet!)
My driver swing speed is around 100mph with a short fast swing (think John Rahm when he's 100!)
Hope that helps ... Paul

Halebopp

HCP
Local club/country
Irons
MP-H5/53/4
Driver
MP-650/ST180
Thank you, Paul! Maybe I should just order one and find out for myself. Chances are I wouldn't make much of a loss on it even if it didn't suit me. Of course there's also the option of getting the correct shaft for it later on. :) (I just hate buying clubs without demoing them first)

welshhead

HCP
Local club/country
Radyr Golf Club
Irons
JPX919 Forged(Project X LZ 6.0), Wedges S5(51/56/61) (Project X 5.5). Odyssey Pro Type 7.
Driver
Driver ST180 (9.5 Tensei Orange Stiff), 3 Wood MP650 (Red Eye Stiff), Hybrid MP650(19)(Red Eye Stiff)
Hi,

I found a very good deal for a new ST180 driver online but it comes with the Tensei CK Orange 50 shaft. The reviews of the club seem to be very positive even in comparison to the newer models.

Mitsubishi says the shaft works for 92-105 MPH swing speeds and I'm around 103-108 (the last time I checked but that was a couple of years ago). It's 57 grams whereas the Orochi Red Eye in my 650 is 65 grams but a bit lighter shaft might suit me fine. What worries me slightly is the torque of 5.9. Even so it should be low spin and low launch so it might work and I do like counter-balanced shafts.

I wonder if it's anywhere close to the ballpark of shafts I should be using (the SwingDNA is still probably around 90/4/4/6/6). Does anyone have any comments or other information on the shaft? All the reviews seem to be about the Pro versions.

Any info is appreciated.
If it helps, I've also come from a 650 Red Eye 10.5 Stiff, into a ST180 Tensei Orange 50. The torque is not an issue, I think the newer shafts are much better at dealing with torque, sure there is an article on it somewhere (TXG maybe). Historically the materials determined a lower torque to maintain stability. Not so much these days and you get increased feel. Anyways, my swing speed is 102 and it doesn't go left AT ALL for me and that's my normal shape. In fact I've set my ST up in UPRIGHT 9.5 to give me the desired shape. Very strange. I also have the Tensei BLUE in the 60g stiff, which actually does seem heavy after using the Orange 50. Ball flight is lower on the Blue. Tempted to play BLUE in the Summer and switch to the high launch. low spin of the Orange in the winter when carry is king. Still in debate, if the price is right defo pick one up, you can pick up a KuroKage or BLue on Ebay for around £40 and then just bounce the Orange.

Halebopp

HCP
Local club/country
Irons
MP-H5/53/4
Driver
MP-650/ST180
Thanks welshhead! I'll probably put in an order soon and see how it goes. We have a demo day coming up tomorrow, no Mizuno though, and it'll probably give me a clue of how much gains there is to be had from low-spin heads. My friend is definitely getting a lot more roll out of his M3, which is why I got interested in the whole low-spin thing to begin with.

welshhead

HCP
Local club/country
Radyr Golf Club
Irons
JPX919 Forged(Project X LZ 6.0), Wedges S5(51/56/61) (Project X 5.5). Odyssey Pro Type 7.
Driver
Driver ST180 (9.5 Tensei Orange Stiff), 3 Wood MP650 (Red Eye Stiff), Hybrid MP650(19)(Red Eye Stiff)
The whole low spin thing is interesting and a worthwhile dabble. I've had a few more range sessions, the Orange definitely gives me that higher low spin flight compared to the Blue. The Blue for me is difficult to elevate, that combined with low spin does realistically mean LINKS set-up. I'm not sure I would gain on a standard parkland. The Orange is easier to flight, maybe due to a slightly increased swing speed based on the the weight featuring as well. Maybe that 1-2mph is generating that lift that the head just starts performing better. No data on this, just my logical thoughts and 20 years of equipment testing. The Orange stays in at the moment. Saying all that, I took the 650 back out again yesterday and hit it past the ST180 a few times and it FEELS SO MUCH BETTER. This is real world course testing. That high pitched ting of the 180 really does nothing for me, the 650 is almost perfect, it just spins a little too much in the 10.5 head, its a fairway finder for sure and does hit the occasional bomb ball if I can get that spin down. I've had a 9.5 as well and that seemed to be a totally different beast, the 1 degree seemed to make a massive difference, don't get it, couldn't launch that one the way I wanted to at all. Maybe 10.5 is my limit.........or a 650 9.5 with a different shaft. Thing is that shaft in my 3 wood and hybrid are just money, flat out work (Orochi Red Eye).

Last edited:

Brattz

HCP
Pro
Local club/country
Derby Golf Centre
Irons
Mizuno JPX 919 Tour (4-PW) - Project X LZ 6.5 120g - 0.5° Flat - 1/2"+
Driver
Titleist TS3 - HC Project X LZ17 6.5 60g, 9.5°, A1 - 11g
Try a PX Even Flow.....

Halebopp

HCP
Local club/country
Irons
MP-H5/53/4
Driver
MP-650/ST180
The thing is one beastly blue bomber! Now I'm thinking about ordering the 3 wood. :)

If someone is interested in one, it costs 189€ or about 170 GBP in here, but they don't have their website in English, nor am I sure if they'll ship outside of the Nordic countries. I can offer you help with the language and how to navigate through it though. The fairway wood is 139€.

https://www.dormy.com/fi/st-180-3
https://www.dormy.com/fi/st

Top Bottom