HCP
Local club/country
United Kingdom
Irons
Ping i25 - PX 6.0
Driver
ST200G Diamana D+ 70 S 11°
Hey all.
Has anyone ever removed one of the weights from their ST200G? I know the lighter head weight is gonna alter the swing weight and therefore shaft bend profile and frequency. Just wondering if anyone else has tried it and what their experiences were.

Brattz

HCP
Pro
Local club/country
Derby Golf Centre
Irons
Mizuno JPX 919 Tour (4-PW) - Project X LZ 6.5 120g - 0.5° Flat - 1/2"+
Driver
Titleist TS3 - HC Project X LZ17 6.5 60g, 9.5°, A1 - 11g
No I haven’t but TW took the weights out of his TM M3..... didn’t do him too bad, he won at East Lake with no weights in and was runner up in the PGA at Bellerive

PaulBoy

HCP
WHS 7.0
Local club/country
Army GC Hampshire
Irons
Mizuno MP-20 MMC (4-AW) Modus3 105s
Driver
TM Stealth II MRC Tensei Orange 50s
Hey all.
Has anyone ever removed one of the weights from their ST200G? I know the lighter head weight is gonna alter the swing weight and therefore shaft bend profile and frequency. Just wondering if anyone else has tried it and what their experiences were.
As Brattz said, certainly no problem doing this if you wanted to - Why do you want to though? - Have you checked the swing weight to see what it is & if so, what was it? - Having the swing weight too low is just as bad as having it too high in my experience - Some people can play with a lighter swing weight (which is what you would get if you completely removed a weight) - I could not, as I have a short fast swing (like a geriatric John Rahm!) and need to feel the head in my swing
Good luck with your experiment though...
Paul

HCP
Local club/country
United Kingdom
Irons
Ping i25 - PX 6.0
Driver
Hi guys. Thanks for replies. I didn't know Tiger did that Brattz. I'm guessing he moved a bit of Wright elsewhere then, hotmelt maybe.
Paul boy - the reason I got the ST200G with this shaft was that at the time I was snap-hooking all over the place. The heavy shaft and both weights into the toe rail cured it to a degree. Now with a bit of work I'm hitting a bit too much of a fade now so was think of taking one out.
Got round to trying it tonight and I liked it. Yes it's a lot lighter feeling obviously but this thing was very heavy to begin with. Possibly D6ish. My irons are D2/d3 which I think this new set up may be somewhere closer to now. The shaft didn't feel any stiffer really. I'm generally just over 102mph mark so I think I should be able to get it to load properly.

If anyone else is curious, give it a go.

Brattz

HCP
Pro
Local club/country
Derby Golf Centre
Irons
Driver
What shaft do you have in it?

PaulBoy

HCP
WHS 7.0
Local club/country
Army GC Hampshire
Irons
Mizuno MP-20 MMC (4-AW) Modus3 105s
Driver
TM Stealth II MRC Tensei Orange 50s
What shaft do you have in it?
Profile says Diamana D+ 70s - Maybe something a bit lighter might help shape the ball better? - The latest shafts are amazing now - You can go ridiculously light & they are still stable - I use 60g now, when I was in the 80g range 5yrs ago! - A pal of mine has a Diamana 40g in A flex & I was able to hit some very solid drives with it at the range recently! (I use S flex usually)
Paul

Brattz

HCP
Pro
Local club/country
Derby Golf Centre
Irons
Driver
A 70g driver shaft is heavy on today’s market especially only generating 100mph.
Drop the shaft weight to a 55/60 and stick the weights as neutral and test the speed.
One way to reduce the lefts is to use a thicker grip. The bigger grip (midsize plus 1/2 tapes) stops the hands and wrists from rolling as much.

Brattz

HCP
Pro
Local club/country
Derby Golf Centre
Irons
Driver
Profile says Diamana D+ 70s - Maybe something a bit lighter might help shape the ball better? - The latest shafts are amazing now - You can go ridiculously light & they are still stable - I use 60g now, when I was in the 80g range 5yrs ago! - A pal of mine has a Diamana 40g in A flex & I was able to hit some very solid drives with it at the range recently! (I use S flex usually)
Paul
Correct paul. Like we conversed before, I use a 5yo PX Prototype X flex shaft at 64g. But.... I’ve kept the head weight low and use a midsize grip with 1 extra tape. I average 117mph with driver. A lighter head weight and shaft with a bigger grip is what more pros are now doing, a la Bryson

seanmor

HCP
WHS 18.0
Local club/country
Caprington Golf Club Kilmarnock
Irons
MIZUNO JPX921HM irons 5-PW
Driver
ST-X 230 12.0 deg N.S.Pro 950 GH Neo R flex shaft
Paul
I'm gaming the Mizuno ST200X driver fitted with one of the lightest shafts the MFUSION 39 gram R flex,I tend to have a short three quarter back swing and a fast snappy transition and I've found it a very stable shaft to use, I've previously used heaver shafts in my drivers usually in the 60 to 80 gram range and my driving has been some what erratic as I've tended to spray the ball about a bit,
but this shaft has turned out to be the best shaft so far..! even though it's so light I'm getting way more feed back and control straighter drives with tighter left to right dispersion and as a consequence I'm now finding more fairways resulting in more consistency of the tee resulting in lower scores.

John.

HCP
Local club/country
United Kingdom
Irons
Ping i25 - PX 6.0
Driver
Probably will try a lighter shaft in the near future. I just need something to take the left outta play for a while and it definitely did the trick. Gotta be honest though, for a Cat 1 golfer I'm probably the worst off the tee you'll find! 😂

Brattz

HCP
Pro
Local club/country
Derby Golf Centre
Irons
Driver
Probably will try a lighter shaft in the near future. I just need something to take the left outta play for a while and it definitely did the trick. Gotta be honest though, for a Cat 1 golfer I'm probably the worst off the tee you'll find! 😂
The left is more likely swing/alignment or head setting related than shaft related. If you have increased the loft setting on the adapter, that in turn closes the clubface.... that makes a left bias more pronounced. Also, you might find it interesting to know on reverse benefits of weighting. By putting the weights to the toe end it ‘should’ prevent the clubface closing down and straighten a hook. It also has the adverse effect of moving the CG towards the toe and creating a draw.... Titleist fitting for TS3 drivers recommend trying the neutral or heel side weighting position first.

Last of all is grip. An ‘underneath’ right hand can flip a toe making a big left just like a ball position too far towards back in the stance.

Have a breakdown of the Grip first then work through the steps point by point. Might be something simple.

Finally, if you want a stable shaft to try, try a Project X EvenFlow Blue 60

HCP
Local club/country
United Kingdom
Irons
Ping i25 - PX 6.0
Driver
Oh Brattz it was definitely swing faults that were creating the left. I just needed to go to the extreme to at least get me in play a little just so I didn't take another 5 year sabbatical! 😁 I think it's a credit to the 200G that it is so versatile.

I'll scout around for a different shaft maybe. Or if this set up stays workable I'll keep it. If anyone has a lighter d+ in s flex and wants a 70g hit me up. I'm UK based.

Brattz

HCP
Pro
Local club/country
Derby Golf Centre
Irons
Driver
Oh Brattz it was definitely swing faults that were creating the left. I just needed to go to the extreme to at least get me in play a little just so I didn't take another 5 year sabbatical! 😁 I think it's a credit to the 200G that it is so versatile.

I'll scout around for a different shaft maybe. Or if this set up stays workable I'll keep it. If anyone has a lighter d+ in s flex and wants a 70g hit me up. I'm UK based.
Hilly, you can pick shafts up dead easy on eBay. As long as your pro is a decent club repairer he could pull your adapter and put it on a new shaft. 👍🏽
I suffered with a bit of left bias with the driver for a bit, cured it by taking the club away like a would do if I was hitting a chip shot. As far straight back as I could to get the shaft more upright and not getting the club behind me

HCP
Local club/country
United Kingdom
Irons
Ping i25 - PX 6.0
Driver
I'll try to focus on the takeaway a bit see what that does. Than
ks for all your advice. Luckily I've messed around with clubs enough to glue shafts. Pulling an adapter off...... Mmmmm might end up with a ruined shaft. I'll just buy a new one. Lol

HCP
Local club/country
moscow
Irons
miura cb301
Driver
mizuno st200g
Guy. I am gaming st200g. my experience: amazing set up using tensei ck blu 60 with mcc4+. got away the original weights and added 4 grams led tapes inside each track. Now waiting the weights of the m3 driver by 4 grams each that should fit as unfortunatly in my country i have no access to mizuno spare parts. swing weight is down to D0, got +7mph club head speed, smash factor the same, +20 yards. Ball flight is absolutly straight, high with low spin. Maybe can help someone that has slower swing around 90 mph like me to get more distance and accuracy.

Top Bottom