Shaft tips

HCP
Local club/country
Killeen GC Ireland
Irons
Mp18sc
Driver
GT180
Hi I recently picked up a second hand ST190G which has the same shaft Kugo Kage 60s that I have been playing in my GT180G I want to put the GT180 shaft into the ST190G head to try as I have a GP Plus 4 on that shaft. I’m wondering what is the difference in stated lofts and face angle compared to the 190 tip.
The shaft fits in ok and am curious why Mizuno changed the design of the shaft tip as the older version seems easier to understand the settings.

MTR

HCP
f0re
Local club/country
EU
Irons
MP-9-11-14-29-37-20
The older adapter with the loft markings was made for one SKU (one static loft) whereas the newer is made (marked) for multiple type heads. The principle is the same: each of the eight settings has a fixed delta vs the neutral setting. All single axis adapters, regardless manufacturer, work like this. Easiest is to think of all settings as going from 1 through 8 clockwise and overlay them. https://mizunoforum.com/threads/jpx850-adaptor-fit-st190.27469/

Example: ST190 adapter in 9.5dg head:

Last edited:
HCP
Local club/country
Killeen GC Ireland
Irons
Mp18sc
Driver
GT180
Thanks MTR for your information, I’ve put the older shaft with the loft angle showing into the ST190G head but haven’t tried it out yet. I sort of have my head around it now and also see the more you add loft through the hosel adapter the more the face angle closes. The ST190G seems to sit a little open compared to the GT180G, I liked the adjustable face angle piece on the sole of the 900 & GT180G as I like to sit the club head on the ground and build the starting position from there.
Mizuno seem a bit light on the information released to the public regarding the hosel adjustment, the chart which you issued goes some what in explaining but is based on a 9.5 standard head surly it wouldn’t have been too much trouble for them to issue a chart based on the 9 degree G model head.

MTR

HCP
f0re
Local club/country
EU
Irons
MP-9-11-14-29-37-20
I've always found that lack of specs strange, unfortunately Mizuno is not alone in this. Luckily the math involved is not complicated, so between the image and the chart in the linked thread(s) you should be able to get it right. Though I prefer the FA rather than loft impact, as the latter can be different depending on measurement/calculation, one more for prosperity:

HCP
Local club/country
Killeen GC Ireland
Irons
Mp18sc
Driver
GT180
Hi MRT I found this on YouTube
I don’t think you can get a better explanation on how the adjustable hosel works, the guy is even using a Mizuno GT180G head in the vid

MTR

HCP
f0re
Local club/country
EU
Irons
MP-9-11-14-29-37-20
Lol, yes you can: Wishon's report on adjustable hosels (first part, covering the basics).
Main problem with the vid are both assumptions: not necessarily valid for a given player. Hosel adjustment will most likely either change delivery or alignment at setup (or both). In short: hosel adjustment impacts lie and/or face angle directly and depending on the golfer dynamic loft and/or alignment. How exactly differs between players, but lie and FA umpacts are 'fixed'.

HCP
Local club/country
Killeen GC Ireland
Irons
Mp18sc
Driver
GT180
I read Tom,s published report document many years ago several times and also had it printed off and in the bag, I struggled with a TM R1 settings and for love nor money just couldn’t get on with the club, after trying every adjustment possible and many shaft changes it was time to move on. I actually had an account with Wishon Golf, I think I still have one of his early carbon crown driver heads. Wishon,s report is very in dept and focused on a few specific driver heads, it is also based on positioning the club in the industry standard “Green Machine” I thought the video was explained really well and states from the get go the assumptions that the player presents the club to the ball in a repetitive position at address. What happens dynamically at impact is a different story all together.
On this occasion I was only looking for Mizuno,s compatibility information on their driver shaft tip adapters.

HCP
Local club/country
England
Irons
3-PW
Driver
Mizuno ST190G
Hi, I have a Mizuno ST190G driver with a Mitsubishi Chemical Diamana Blue 79g stiff flex shaft. I am struggling to understand what the numbers on the hozel mean however. For instance, it ranges from R+2/L-2 to R-2/L+2. Could you help me understand what the R & L mean? Thank you for any help it wold be much appreciated!

LOS

Local club/country
England
Hi, I have a Mizuno ST190G driver with a Mitsubishi Chemical Diamana Blue 79g stiff flex shaft. I am struggling to understand what the numbers on the hozel mean however. For instance, it ranges from R+2/L-2 to R-2/L+2. Could you help me understand what the R & L mean? Thank you for any help it wold be much appreciated!
I think you wil find it is as simple as Right Hand and Left Hand. R+2 in a Right Handed Head for a 2deg increase in loft but in a Left HandedHead will decrease the loft 2deg.

Top Bottom