Shaft length and flex

Gmalik

Local club/country
Australia
Hi,

I have been looking for JPX921 Regular Flex ½ inch longer for over two months, but they are currently not available in Australia and the waiting times are way too long. The only sets I could find in this length are 921 Hot Metal NS Pro Neo Stiff or 921 Forged Modus 120. Unfortunately, I can’t try the irons anywhere so the question is, will moving to stiff in ½ inch longer shafts in the above models make a big difference or its worth a try?

PS: I am new to this Forum so pardon me if a similar question has been asked in the past.

DennisMiller

HCP
Old Age
Local club/country
Killian Greens Golf Club
Irons
MX-1000
Driver
ST-180
Welcome to the forum Gmalik... I hope you enjoy the time you spend here.

Let me suggest something in the way of a curveball, (bowl you a googly?)... Instead of looking for the club with a longer shaft, how about getting some shaft extensions? I don't know what resources you have in Australia, like Amazon, but you could probably get 2" or 3" shaft extensions you cut down a lot faster than waiting on new clubs.

OK, let me explain... I have a lot of experience with this because I'm 6'7" and my irons require about 2" extensions, then backweighting for me to be comfortable using them. The one time I actually had a set of irons checked out, the regular flex graphite I had extended barely changed its flex.

Keeping that in mind, I don't think you would see enough softening of the flex if you got stiff shafts 1/2" longer. If you prefer regular shafts, you would be much better off with the irons you really want, lengthening them the 1/2", which wouldn't soften the flex either, then concern yourself over find the right grip.

The reason I mention that is this. A 1/2" extension will add about 3 points to the swingweight. To offset that most easily is done by changing the grip to something that weights more. Usually, the company selling the grips can tell you how much the grip weighs. I need a jumbo grip, so picking up a dozen extra grams is easier for me, but whomever you can grips from should be able to advise you.

Grab the irons you really want and consider the mod. i bet you'll be much happier.

Top Bottom