shaft flex

HCP
Local club/country
usa
Irons
4-pw, MP 57, MP 52 & MP 60
Driver
Mizuno 630 - stock rayon shaft stiff
After 10 years with my T zoid pro 2 irons I am going to order new Mizuno irons next week. I am going to order the irons .5 inch longer. I asked the club fitter how the ordering longer irons would impact the flex for the Project X or the KBS shafts. He did not know? He said it would make the club heavier but he was not sure if a longer shaft would change the flex.

Does anyone out there know the answer? I need to find out before I order the set.

Alastair Gibson

HCP
Local club/country
FIFE
2IRON,

The general rule with shafts ( I certainly know this to be true for dynamic gold shafts) is that for every inch longer that shaft becomes its stiffness lessens by half a flex, ie 2 inches longer would turn a stiff shaft into a regular, however it is slightly dependent on whether the shaft is left longer at the tip end or the butt end. In general though it will turn a shaft marginally weaker.

The reason for this is that physics dictates that a longer shaft with the same forces exerted on it will bend slightly more than a shorter one.

As for swingweight, each half inch longer a shaft is will take swingweight up 3 point (ie from D1 TO D4), however, i believe that Mizuno fit slightly lighter heads to custom ordered clubs that are fitted with longer than standard shafts to prevent the swingweight feeling very heavy.

Hope this helps

Al

mjtoal

HCP
Local club/country
Bearwood Lakes, Berkshire
Irons
Mizuno MP4, C-taper S
Driver
Tirtleist 913D3, Oban Devotion
Mizuno will use a lighter head weight to make the club play true to flex and swingweight.

Mizo

HCP
-
Local club/country
Efteling, Netherlands
Irons
18° MP FLi-Hi/MP-57/3-PW/PX 5.5, MP-T/56-10/R300
Driver
MX-560/9.5/Proforce V2S 66g
KBS website said:
All other club components staying the same, switching into the KBS Tour shafts from other tapered tip shafts will often equate to a drop in swing weight by approximately 2 points (i.e.: D2 to D0). This is a result of a slightly higher balance point of the shaft which allows club builders to insert more mass in the clubhead or add up to ½” to the club length to maintain the same overall swing weight.
Straight off their website, so that's at least something to take into account.

Top Bottom