Self Fitting

LOS

Local club/country
England
Seems to be something Mizuno Japan are trying.
https://jpn.mizuno.com/golf/mizuno_self_fitting

Google Translation:-
"What is Mizuno Self Fitting? By renting Mizuno fitting tools, This is a service that allows customers to do their own fitting.
By receiving this service, You can choose a club without worrying about time,
You can shoot without worrying about the public eye.
In addition, this fitting service "Just hit 3 balls and you'll know everything" Instrument Shaft Optimizer 3D,
Mizuno Pro and JPX iron heads, as well as about 30 types of shafts are included,
You can choose the best one for yourself. "

Wonder if they will try this in the UK.

HAIRY ESSEX BLOKE

HCP
Local club/country
Fabulous Frinton on Sea ESSEX
Irons
MP53 4-PW MPT 10 51 & 54 deg various fairways & hybrids plus MX23, MP18MMC, MMC hi fli CLK hybrids T7 wedges
Driver
Mizuno MX700 JPX EZ ,GT & ST180 & ST180G
Seems to be something Mizuno Japan are trying.
https://jpn.mizuno.com/golf/mizuno_self_fitting

Google Translation:-
"What is Mizuno Self Fitting? By renting Mizuno fitting tools, This is a service that allows customers to do their own fitting.
By receiving this service, You can choose a club without worrying about time,
You can shoot without worrying about the public eye.
In addition, this fitting service "Just hit 3 balls and you'll know everything" Instrument Shaft Optimizer 3D,
Mizuno Pro and JPX iron heads, as well as about 30 types of shafts are included,
You can choose the best one for yourself. "

Wonder if they will try this in the UK.
And what will the wife say?

LOS

Local club/country
England
What is 1Flex? I don't see anything listed as senior flex. Weird...
1 Flex is as it says, there is only 1 flex manufactured. When you start getting to some of the lighter shafts there is no "A" or senior flex.

e.g:-

1710342722403.png

1710341980977.png

I have played senior flex in heavier shafts but if I go down in weight I go for a stiffer flex.

Last edited:

Steve Smith

Local club/country
Newcastle upon tyne
I think its just all about feel quite frankly... a heavier head will make the shaft feel less stiff.
A lighter head will make the same shaft feel stiffer.
Then into the equation you have the kick point.. a higher kick point will feel less responsive and harder to launch high.
Then there is Torque.. i.e. resistance to the shaft twisting.. in the modern era shafts, especially graphite have just so much torque, they do not twist at all.

This is why the modern golf swing has changed to taking it back on the backswing in a much straighter plane.

Please look at all of the old videos from the Open and the Masters on You Tube from the 50's and 60's. The swings are not THAT much different in tempo and release.... but just look at how their backswing takes it so far on the inside ? That is because shafts then had so much less torque, they would twist the head to the left at impact, so they were trying to get a more in to out plane and hold against a hook.

Hogan was a genius and cupped his left hand to be able to resist the twisting of the shaft and pointing the clubhead left.
Incidentally, young Bantam was a very long hitter as a younger man with a very strong grip to make up for his smaller stature. But he ended up hitting a wild hook a lot of times.

So he learned to hit a fade with a weaker grip and hit it straight and won 9 majors and the Grand Slam. Should have won more if it wasnt for WW2 and his car crash.

Faldo was in the same mould as Ben.

Anyway sorry, I am rambling. Point is... dont give a monkeys about specifications, its all a load of rubbish. I have an F60 3 and 5 wood with regular shafts that are stiffer than the current stiff shafts in my STX220 3W +5W

Just trust what feels right to you, regardless of spec... also... get an agreement with your fitter that you can try it out for a round on the course and return or exchange if it doesnt work out.

Believe me, I have tried stuff which seemed great in the booth but could not hit a barn door on the course.

Sorry for babbling on folks, I'll get me coat 😅😅

Smithers 😊😊

Steve Smith

Local club/country
Newcastle upon tyne
And what will the wife say?
Its like when the word "selfie" came out a few years ago. As an oldie I just thought "taking a selfie" meant having a Septic Tank. And then "selfie sticks" came out. Oohh er? Were they just for the ladies? I think I am just too old now for this modern world sadly 😒😒

MPX

Administrator
Staff member
HCP
Local club/country
UK
Irons
JPX919 Hot Metal Pro 4-PW (C Taper Lite stiff), T20 wedges chrome - 50 / 56
Driver
ST-Z driver, ST200x 3wood, ST200x 5 wood
Can i put an end to the speculation. We won't be recommending self fitting in US / Europe. There's better access to fitting facilities outside of Japan - plus we think the fitter is a pretty important element of the process. Call it a culture difference!

Steve Smith

Local club/country
Newcastle upon tyne
Can i put an end to the speculation. We won't be recommending self fitting in US / Europe. There's better access to fitting facilities outside of Japan - plus we think the fitter is a pretty important element of the process. Call it a culture difference!
The problem with fitting sometimes is that you get some unscrupulous retailers who are on commission from certain manufacturers to push certain lines of their products even if it does not suit the golfer. I had that once.
Now I always go to a dedicated one manufacturer fitting centre like Mizuno and I know that I will get the right setup with no bias.

DennisMiller

HCP
Old Age
Local club/country
Killian Greens Golf Club
Irons
MX-1000
Driver
ST-180
The one time I had a bad experience from a fitting was a matter of what outside of the fitting was so badly thought out.

Long story short, a PING fitting suggested irons with specs that were about 2.5" extra long, or about 15 swing weight points. The fitter told me PING could remove weights behind their logo plate on the back of the club and bring down the weight, so I trusted him and bought the set. When they came, the swing weight was ridiculous and playing in the heat and humidity here in Miami left me in an impossible state after 12-13 holes. I simply couldn't take the club back with any control, I was so worn out.

I called PING, only to be told there was no removable weight behind the logo plate. They had me send the clubs directly back to them and refunded all my money.

At every fitting I've had since then, only one fitter, at Planet Golf, a mom and pop store here in Miami, considered the compromise between my height, my age and the weather in which we play.

The intangibles can be just as important in a fitting, as far as I'm concerned.

Top Bottom