Molliedooker

HCP
Local club/country
Aust.
Irons
mp T series wedges. 4/pw 588i. / mp60 4/pw
Driver
JPX EZ S
MPX if you read this I would be interested to know if clubs are more prone to rust in certain Climates or Countries
I have lived in temperate,sub tropical and tropical in Aust. And the only rust aside from old age on the face of some old Honmas has been on the trusty rusty wedge. The only cleaning my clubs get is a wipe over with fresh water and dry off after each round. I have 3 sets of forged clubs (diff brands)and NO rust on any yet they have the normal dents and scrapes ,especially the MX25 s as I have used them exclusively for 4 odd years three times a week.I know of no one in Aust.with a rust problem.

HCP
Local club/country
Cochrane Castle
Irons
MP53's 4-PW
Driver
Titelist 910D2
Big Pete - I wouldnt like to see what you write when you are trying to be sarcastic....... I dont understand the point you are trying to make though. Im not on here slagging off the forum. Im having a discussion with other golfers who have (up till now) been able to come back with useful comments and suggestions. I didnt remember seeing though any previous topics regarding rusting on MP53's.......

Have I slated this forum or Mizuno as a whole? No. Am I aggrieved that my clubs have rusted after a week. Of course. Do i think the clubs are great? Yes.

My point is, im not a scientist, most golfers are the same, so im not aware of the pitfalls of forged irons. This needs to be clearer to customers. I think its great though that I can come on here and discuss issues with other users and Mizuno reps.

Regarding the care advice not being given by other OEMS - Doesnt make it right. Mizuno have already demonstrated that they offer a much better service to their customers through fittings, forums etc, so why not do something different regarding care advice so people know that these irons need washed, ironed, oiled, and put to bed with a hot water bottle after every round!!

mattymp62

HCP
Local club/country
Cherwell Edge GC
Irons
MP-62
bhoywonder said:
Regarding the care advice not being given by other OEMS - Doesnt make it right. Mizuno have already demonstrated that they offer a much better service to their customers through fittings, forums etc, so why not do something different regarding care advice so people know that these irons need washed, ironed, oiled, and put to bed with a hot water bottle after every round!!
Sorry but I'm not sure what you're expecting them to do. The tag is there, is it Mizuno's fault that you didn't read it?

HCP
Local club/country
Cochrane Castle
Irons
MP53's 4-PW
Driver
Titelist 910D2
For something as critical as this, putting a small tag which has instructions for 6 different countries on it and looks like a guarantee (not instructions) then yes, I think Mizuno should be informing their customers in a better way.

MPX

Administrator
Staff member
HCP
Local club/country
UK
Irons
JPX919 Hot Metal Pro 4-PW (C Taper Lite stiff), T20 wedges chrome - 50 / 56
Driver
ST-Z driver, ST200x 3wood, ST200x 5 wood
Conditions definitely have an impact - rust won't be an issue at all in some places. On rare occassions have heard of very aggressive use of chemicals by groundstaff that can have an effect.

Though avoidance (clean, dry, lubricate) best recommended to everyone.

sheffield Rob

HCP
Local club/country
Hallamshire England/ Praia D'El Rey Portugal
Irons
Mizuno JPX800 Pro 4 to PW, T11 Wedges, 50, 54 and 58.
Driver
Titleist D2 V2 shaft, 3W 910, hybrid 910
bhoywonder said:
For something as critical as this, putting a small tag which has instructions for 6 different countries on it and looks like a guarantee (not instructions) then yes, I think Mizuno should be informing their customers in a better way.
This critical? Its small rust spots, and in no way impacts performance. I'm glad Mizuno are prepared to make clubs with max performance, and tell golfers that the truth... the only way to get the feel you want is to forge them. My 12 year old mizuno irons were dented, had rust spots galore. Did I care? course not, loved 'em.

sheffield Rob

HCP
Local club/country
Irons
Driver
MPX said:
Conditions definitely have an impact - rust won't be an issue at all in some places. On rare occassions have heard of very aggressive use of chemicals by groundstaff that can have an effect.

Though avoidance (clean, dry, lubricate) best recommended to everyone.
Pedantic question alert.... I didn't think it was allowable to put something on the surface of the face...it could impact performance. So for instance, you aren't allowed to make the face wet during play - it creates less spin on the ball.

So... is that oiling allowed?

HCP
Local club/country
Cochrane Castle
Irons
MP53's 4-PW
Driver
Titelist 910D2
sheffield Rob said:
bhoywonder said:
This critical? Its small rust spots, and in no way impacts performance. I'm glad Mizuno are prepared to make clubs with max performance, and tell golfers that the truth... the only way to get the feel you want is to forge them. My 12 year old mizuno irons were dented, had rust spots galore. Did I care? course not, loved 'em.
Good for you Rob. If I had 12 year old irons, i wouldnt give a toss about them either!! A week old set of irons however, that id just paid the best part of £600 for............ Different story. And if small rust spots after 1 week, then what would they be like in a month, year, etc. I bet the big rust patch on your 12 year old banger of a car started off as a rust spot also. You prob dont care about that either tho, eh......?? !!

sheffield Rob

HCP
Local club/country
Irons
Driver
bhoywonder said:
sheffield Rob said:
bhoywonder said:
Good for you Rob. If I had 12 year old irons, i wouldnt give a toss about them either!! A week old set of irons however, that id just paid the best part of £600 for............ Different story. And if small rust spots after 1 week, then what would they be like in a month, year, etc. I bet the big rust patch on your 12 year old banger of a car started off as a rust spot also. You prob dont care about that either tho, eh......?? !!

I'll have you know that my old banger of a car is only 11 years old !

My new JPX800pro irons are 3 months old, and treated just that same as the old sticks. I only care about the shots I hit with them, not how shiny they look. Rusts spots are almost inevitable with a forged iron I'm afraid...

HCP
Local club/country
Cochrane Castle
Irons
MP53's 4-PW
Driver
Titelist 910D2
haha. I stand corrected Rob.

Re spots, I guess it is inevitable........ However with the right care it can be delayed it would seem. Hence my previous posts.

Anyway, ive had my say on this forum, its generated some good responses and hopefully will make more people aware of the issue and how to prevent it.

Think ill start a new topic for discussion on the website..... Best way to get rust off of golf balls after hitting with forged irons.

MPX

Administrator
Staff member
HCP
Local club/country
UK
Irons
JPX919 Hot Metal Pro 4-PW (C Taper Lite stiff), T20 wedges chrome - 50 / 56
Driver
ST-Z driver, ST200x 3wood, ST200x 5 wood
bhoywonder

Hopefully you'll see that this post is now featured on the Mizuno Golf Homepage.

Attachments

HCP
Local club/country
Cochrane Castle
Irons
MP53's 4-PW
Driver
Titelist 910D2
Fantastic. Hopefully it will make others aware. Do i get a prize for this??

Bluewolf

HCP
Local club/country
Houghwood golf club
Irons
Mizuno MP H5 Irons, Cobra Wedges, Scotty putter
Driver
Titleist 913D2 9.5*,
you get a club cleaning kit......

Deemac

HCP
Local club/country
Torrance House Golf Club EK
Irons
MP 69's
Driver
Mizuno JPX 850 Fujikura Orochi 60g Stiff
sheffield Rob said:
Pedantic question alert.... I didn't think it was allowable to put something on the surface of the face...it could impact performance. So for instance, you aren't allowed to make the face wet during play - it creates less spin on the ball.

So... is that oiling allowed?
During storage periods only!!

If you were to play a competition, there would be an expectation that your club faces were clean and dry...

Top Bottom