HCP
Local club/country
UK
Irons
JPX919 Hot Metal Pro 4-PW (C Taper Lite stiff), T20 wedges chrome - 50 / 56
Driver
ST-Z driver, ST200x 3wood, ST200x 5 wood
bhoywonder

Overall this is a good thread for everyone to read and we'd like to make it more prominent - to point everyone towards the correct care procedures (not to say you haven't followed them).

Was easier to do that (and get more people to read) by changing the title.

We haven't edited any of your comments. Hope that's ok.

Deemac

HCP
Local club/country
Torrance House Golf Club EK
Irons
MP 69's
Driver
Mizuno JPX 850 Fujikura Orochi 60g Stiff
Jonny M said:
DO NOT USE HEADCOVERS FULL STOP is my advice.
Jonny,

This is a very missleading comment!! I've used headcovers on MX23's, MP32's and my MP67's and NEVER had rust spots!!

To say "DO NOT USE HEADCOVERS" to avoid rust spots is not strictly true!!

Look after your clubs! Keep them dry between rounds and don't STORE them between rounds with headcovers on would be more accurate!!

Logie

HCP
Local club/country
Fleetwood GC/UK http://www.fleetwoodgolf.co.uk/
Irons
Mizuno MP Fli H4 3 & 4 Irons; MP64 5 - PW irons; MP T-10 52 & 58 deg wedges all with NS Pro 1150 G stiff shafts: MP650 22 degree hybrid regular Orochi shaft.
Driver
JPX 850 10.5 degrees: Fujikura Motore Speeder VC6.3 Stiff.
Just to add to the debate.

I keep the headcovers on when stored and usually when being transported in the boot of my car and have never had a problem with rusting.

I try and make sure that my irons are dry before re-fitting headcovers after a round when being transported home. I find headcovers an unnecessary distraction when playing (I need all the concentration I can when playing to those who have seen me play!!!).

I then clean the clubs using warm water with a mild detergent in it. I use a small sponge and make sure the grooves are clean by using an old tooth brush. I then use a towel to dry the irons. I then refit the head covers and store the clubs in a warm dry environent, namely my hallway ready for the next round.

I have used this process for many years on TP 9s, TP 21s, MX 20s and now MP 52s and I have never experienced corrosion.

The only time I have experienced corrosion, coincidently similar to that which started this topic, on my irons is when I have not dried the irons before refitting headcovers, not cleaning them when I got home and leaving them in the boot of my car. Fortunately the corrosion was easily removed using a plastic pan scourer used for non stick pans.

If I feel the need to put a protective coating on the irons I use a cloth lightly soaked with Johnson's Baby Oil.

I am not trying to say my method is the best one, only that it works for me.

Br1an_g

HCP
Local club/country
Downfield
Irons
Srixon ZX5 mk2 4-gw Nippon modus NS pro 105x
Driver
Callaway rogue st max 9.5 fujikura vista pro 65s,
i leave my headcovers on all the time as well.

however, after a round i put the headcovers on a radiator to dry them out. i also clean and dry the club heads.

i only then put the covers back on. they are both usually a little warm.

i then store my clubs in my bedroom cupboard which also has the boiler in it so its nice and cosy.

think the only reason i have a few rust spots on my t11's is i left the headcovers on and didnt dry them between rounds last week. not bothered about the wedges though, the amount of bunkers im in these days they will soon get rubbed off.

dave_giz

HCP
Increasing
Local club/country
None curently
Irons
MP18 SC's along with MP S-18 wedges 52 & 58.
Driver
Mizuno JPX 850 driver and 3 wood.
If you keep your clubs in a locker along with your towel after its got wet, then the damp conditions within are lovely for rusting

DCB

HCP
Local club/country
Midlothian, Scotland http://www.merchantsgolf.com
Irons
My ReHab Bag - Mizuno JPX 900 HM 5-GW A Shafts, JPX EX 4H, JPX 900 5 & 7 Wood Orochi RL Shafts.
Driver
JPX 900
I've owned five sets of forged irons in the last few years. Four of them Mizuno sets. I've played parkland and links golf up here in 'sunny' Scotland, both summer and winter. My clubs have taken a hammering from all the weather can throw at them. I've yet to have any issues with pitting of shafts or spotting on clubheads.

I have to admit to being a bit of a pedant when it comes to cleaning my gear after play. The clubs get a regular wash in warm water with a little autoglym added ( told you I was a pedant) dried and then put back in the bag. If everything has been soaked, the bag is emptied and everything left to dry out in the garage for a couple of days before the clubs are put back in the bag.

I've not had any issue with my clubs in recent times. I did have issues with a cast club that took a big gouge after striking a stone in a bunker, but that was long before I'd found forged clubs ;-)

Villiers1

HCP
Local club/country
Pay & Play
Irons
JPX825 6-PW
Driver
Titleist 913D2 9.5, 913FD Fairway, Fli-Hi 3,4 & 5,JPX 50,56,T-4 60/05,MPTA301Putter
I think most of these problems occur when guys who have always played other makes of cast or even forged irons start playing Grain Flow Forged Mizuno irons. The trade of for the excellent feel and quality is just a little TLC.

Logie

HCP
Local club/country
Fleetwood GC/UK http://www.fleetwoodgolf.co.uk/
Irons
Mizuno MP Fli H4 3 & 4 Irons; MP64 5 - PW irons; MP T-10 52 & 58 deg wedges all with NS Pro 1150 G stiff shafts: MP650 22 degree hybrid regular Orochi shaft.
Driver
JPX 850 10.5 degrees: Fujikura Motore Speeder VC6.3 Stiff.
DCB thanks for the tip on using autoglym.No salt in autoglym car shampoo so less chance of corrosion.

HCP
Local club/country
Willows Nth Qld Australia
Irons
Mizuno MP-53 4-PW; Yes! GW-LW, Putter; TM Burner Hybrid
Driver
TM r11
If my 53s rust (and they will according to this thread as I live in the tropics, throw them in the shed or the back of the car, clean them only every now and then, hit the occasional practice session on my beach) ... then I'll buy another set. Probably the 54s. Golf clubs are cheap compared to membership, balls, comp fees, clothes, practice facilities, lessons .... etc.

DCB

HCP
Local club/country
Midlothian, Scotland http://www.merchantsgolf.com
Irons
My ReHab Bag - Mizuno JPX 900 HM 5-GW A Shafts, JPX EX 4H, JPX 900 5 & 7 Wood Orochi RL Shafts.
Driver
JPX 900
Logie said:
DCB thanks for the tip on using autoglym.No salt in autoglym car shampoo so less chance of corrosion.
The Driver and fairway woods and my putter all get a bit of autoglym polish after they are washed. My Driver head has a great finish on it as a result ;-)

It's probably verging on OCD, but hey, the clubs look great ;-)

BigPete

HCP
Local club/country
Ruthin and Pwllglas
Whiteman said:
If my 53s rust (and they will according to this thread as I live in the tropics, throw them in the shed or the back of the car, clean them only every now and then, hit the occasional practice session on my beach) ... then I'll buy another set. Probably the 54s. Golf clubs are cheap compared to membership, balls, comp fees, clothes, practice facilities, lessons .... etc.
I feel similar to this - I'm not thinking about resale value of my clubs. I'll use them til they die if I like em. So paradoxically if I really like a club I will abuse it (see wedges) so it won't be worth selling and I won't be tempted to get rid. I clean my irons properly maybe every 20 or 30 rounds and they live in my van mostly. No rust and they still scrub up pretty well.

I reckon I'll get 4 or 5 seasons out of my 52s - I imagine my next set will be jpx801 pros maybe...

HCP
Local club/country
Cochrane Castle
Irons
MP53's 4-PW
Driver
Titelist 910D2
Clubs have came back from Mizuno who have said that they are fine and that its totally acceptable for the clubs to rust within a week of getting them..........

Not happy. Ive asked retailer to escalate this as dont think this is acceptable.

MPX would be interested to hear your thoughts on this please. Surely this is not right.

MPX

Administrator
Staff member
HCP
Local club/country
UK
Irons
Driver
Will talk to the factory and get some more specific feedback.

HCP
Local club/country
Cochrane Castle
Irons
MP53's 4-PW
Driver
Titelist 910D2
Thanks MPX - appreciated. If I can work out how to, ill PM you the returns authorisation number I received

MPX

Administrator
Staff member
HCP
Local club/country
UK
Irons
Driver
bhoywonder

Looks like you had some minor grit damage combined with some moisture.

Your irons should have come back cleaned up without the small rust spots you showed on the pics?

If you keep them dry and run occassional lubricant over them as described, no reason the spots should return.

Are they free of spots now?

HCP
Local club/country
Cochrane Castle
Irons
MP53's 4-PW
Driver
Titelist 910D2
Clubs are just about free of the rust spots, but they are still noticable on the PW unfortunately.

Unfortunately this whole episode has left a rather sour taste in my mouth. The irons look and feel great (well look great without any rust on them!) but disappointed that rust spots have appeared. Perhaps Mizuno need to consider exactly how they get the message across about the upkeep of these irons, as most people who buy these irons will not realise that you need to treat these irons in a different way from virtually all other sets of irons out there (which wont rust after a week, irrespective of whether been dried properly or oiled!). The small tag put on one of the clubs isnt enough.

MPX

Administrator
Staff member
HCP
Local club/country
UK
Irons
Driver
If you're free of rust spots - no reason they'll return if you look after them.

Mizuno do put the care tag on every set - and there is a 'care' button on every page of the forged irons / wedges on our site. Although we'll have another look over and make this more prominent if necessary.

Overall - you can't get the feel / performance of the forged product without the potential risk of rust. If you want super durable clubs that can't rust, then a cast golf club is the way to go.

Hopefully given a few more rounds, you'll love the pay off enough to make up for the need to dry the irons between rounds.

HCP
Local club/country
Cochrane Castle
Irons
MP53's 4-PW
Driver
Titelist 910D2
Thanks MPX. There was a small tag on one of the irons, however lets be honest, will anyone ever read it. I didnt realise that forged clubs had such a high risk of rusting and the additional care required and im sure most other club golfers out there are the same. Club feel is great and im already starting to see the benefits. There must though be a better way that you can inform golfers of how to look after them as they are totally different from most clubs out there.

Would I buy these again knowing now what I have found out?? Definitely. The clubs are fantastic. I just think Mizuno need to get the message out a lot clearer rather than putting a tag on one of the irons (cause lets face it, when a new set of irons turn up, the last thing 99% of us are gonna do is read a tag!)

BigPete

HCP
Local club/country
Ruthin and Pwllglas
If only Mizuno had some kind of forum where you could contact staff members for advice and look up previous questions that might pertain to your own. Oh wait.

Sorry - this wasn't meant to come off as sarcastically as it probably reads. The point being that this forum serves all sorts of purposes, one being a place to look for advice and also a "right to reply" from both Mizuno and the customers.

I see it as quite a powerful resource that not many OEMs offer their customers, and one of the reasons most Mizuno players are users for life. Would you have been able to have such a transparent, open, frank, public coversation about your greivances with any other brand, whilst also receiving feedback from staff members themselves?

Love your clubs and they will love you back unconditionally for years to come :)

mattymp62

HCP
Local club/country
Cherwell Edge GC
Irons
MP-62
bhoywonder said:
cause lets face it, when a new set of irons turn up, the last thing 99% of us are gonna do is read a tag!
The care advice is not unique to Mizuno forgings, it's the same for any chrome plated metal. Not sure you get any advice from other OEM's.

Top Bottom