Real or Not real?

HCP
Local club/country
United States
Irons
JPX919 Hot Metal
Driver
Taylormade 2016 M2
Bought a used set of JPX 919 Hot Metal irons. Number on the hotel is 5148380 under it is Chromoly 4140M
A friend said they may not be real because there is no C or S after the serial number that would indicatecustom or stock. Now I'm wondering.

HCP
Local club/country
United States
Irons
JPX919 Hot Metal
Driver
Taylormade 2016 M2
Bought a used set of JPX 919 Hot Metal irons. Number on the hosel is 5148380 under it is Chromoly 4140M
A friend said they may not be real because there is no C or S after the serial number that would indicate custom or stock. Now I'm wondering.
Hosel not hotel....anyone that could shed some light would be appreciated. Thanks

PaulBoy

HCP
WHS 7.0
Local club/country
Army GC
Irons
Mizuno Pro 223 (4-AW) Modus3 120s
Driver
Titleist TSi2 Graphite Design Tour AD XC-50s
Hi Steve ... I can understand why you are concerned - That is a strange number & your friend is correct that the number etched on the modern Mizuno irons is usually the date they were built followed by C or S - However, I had a set of genuine JPX921 irons & they had no numbers on them? - Fortunately I knew for a fact that they were a set of heads that were not retail (Tour Van) - So there will be some sets out there that don't conform to the norm - As you are in the US, I would contact Mizuno direct there & take their advice? - If you wanted to post pics of one of your heads including the number, I'm sure you would get plenty of opinions from people here? - Good luck ... Paul

HCP
Local club/country
United States
Irons
JPX919 Hot Metal
Driver
Taylormade 2016 M2
So I registered the clubs on the Mizuno site. They asked for the 7 digit serial # which is what I have. I haven't been able to get through to customer service. I will continue to try. Any other info someone may have is appreciated.

PaulBoy

HCP
WHS 7.0
Local club/country
Army GC
Irons
Driver
Hi Steve ... That is helpful, but not conclusive? - Close up pics of a head (especially the cavity & sole) would help?
Anyway, if you look at the picture I have created below with your hosel on top, I am not convinced the writing
"Chromoly 4140M" is the same? - The etched numbers are more alike & both are clearly nothing to do with
the build date that is normally shown - What is clear from the photo is that the ferrule on your head is not
a factory fitted Mizuno one, as it clearly doesn't fit flush & smooth like the one in the 2nd pic? - The one in the
2nd pic is how I would expect them to arrive from Mizuno, but as per my first post, someone may have had
the shafts changed or bought a set of heads from somewhere?
A couple more questions:
Do all the heads have the same etched numbers on them?
What shafts & grips are fitted (Mizuno have their own version of the GP Tour Velvet & NDMC grips they usually fit?)
Was it a private sale or from a shop (Pro Shop or online)?
I still think Mizuno CS in the US is your best bet for the definitive answer ...Paul jpx 919 serial nos.jpg

HCP
Local club/country
United States
Irons
JPX919 Hot Metal
Driver
Taylormade 2016 M2
All the heads look identical the etched numbers all look the same. 20220219_135523.jpg 20220219_135523.jpg 20220219_135510.jpg 20220219_135510.jpg

HCP
Local club/country
United States
Irons
JPX919 Hot Metal
Driver
Taylormade 2016 M2
Hi Steve ... That is helpful, but not conclusive? - Close up pics of a head (especially the cavity & sole) would help?
Anyway, if you look at the picture I have created below with your hosel on top, I am not convinced the writing
"Chromoly 4140M" is the same? - The etched numbers are more alike & both are clearly nothing to do with
the build date that is normally shown - What is clear from the photo is that the ferrule on your head is not
a factory fitted Mizuno one, as it clearly doesn't fit flush & smooth like the one in the 2nd pic? - The one in the
2nd pic is how I would expect them to arrive from Mizuno, but as per my first post, someone may have had
the shafts changed or bought a set of heads from somewhere?
A couple more questions:
Do all the heads have the same etched numbers on them?
What shafts & grips are fitted (Mizuno have their own version of the GP Tour Velvet & NDMC grips they usually fit?)
Was it a private sale or from a shop (Pro Shop or online)?
I still think Mizuno CS in the US is your best bet for the definitive answer ...Paul View attachment 10389
We were told these originally had stiff shafts changed to regular. This is how the ferrules were changed.

PaulBoy

HCP
WHS 7.0
Local club/country
Army GC
Irons
Driver
I don't know enough about this model to give an opinion, but with those pics I'm sure Mizuno USA will be able to tell you
Good luck & let us know how you get on

HCP
Local club/country
United States
Irons
JPX919 Hot Metal
Driver
Taylormade 2016 M2
I think they are real, not positive though. I'll post when Mizuno responds. Thanks all.

HCP
Local club/country
United States
Irons
JPX919 Hot Metal
Driver
Taylormade 2016 M2
So, Mizuno support got back to me today. He said I will need to get back with him next week as they are having problems with their system. Thinking it will be back up next week. He said it wasn't easy to tell by the pictures alone. Can't check the serial # , club makeup till next week.

2klix

HCP
Local club/country
Thorney Park Golf Club, Iver, Bucks
Irons
JPX 900 Chromoly 4&5i, 900 Forged 6-PW, Mizuno MP-T7 50°, 55°, 60° (all irons KBS Tour 90 Stiff)
Driver
Mizuno JPX900 10.5° Fujikura6 Stiff Shaft
Oh the suspense! Hope you get positive confirmation soon.

HCP
Local club/country
United States
Irons
JPX919 Hot Metal
Driver
Taylormade 2016 M2
So, do I . I think they are, but who knows when you buy used. I hadn't really questioned them till I was asked why there wasn't a c or s after the serial #. Since then I've seen others without the letters also. We will see.

HCP
Local club/country
United States
Irons
JPX919 Hot Metal
Driver
Taylormade 2016 M2
Mizuno customer support has responded that my iron set is real. Great news. They were originally just a stock set (not custom). The previous owner changed shafts, ferrules, and grips, but the irons are real Mizuno. Good news!

PaulBoy

HCP
WHS 7.0
Local club/country
Army GC
Irons
Driver
That's great news :) - They're a great club & I hope you play well with them ...

2klix

HCP
Local club/country
Thorney Park Golf Club, Iver, Bucks
Irons
JPX 900 Chromoly 4&5i, 900 Forged 6-PW, Mizuno MP-T7 50°, 55°, 60° (all irons KBS Tour 90 Stiff)
Driver
Mizuno JPX900 10.5° Fujikura6 Stiff Shaft
Great news really happy for you Steve, they looked kosher but guess there is always that doubt when someone says the serial number didn’t look right or the ferrule are off. Now back to gaming them, good scoring my friend.

Top Bottom