Putters

LOS

Local club/country
England
If you like the Tech route find a coach who has a Sam PUTTLAB and knows how to use it. If you don't like tech Ken Brown's "One Putt" is worth a read, he even has a couple of pics of Luke in it.

tomvk77

HCP
Local club/country
GC de Koepel, netherlands
Irons
Mizuno JPX 921 Forged KBS Tour Stiff 4-pw
Driver
Callaway Rogue ST Max LS 10.5 set to 9.5
little over 4 weeks in and I just got my putter.
Looks damn sweet, I put my superstoke grip on already after getting an extra inch on.

Steve Smith

Local club/country
Newcastle upon tyne
A good putting coach is like gold dust.... but you can do it yourself.... I am a streaky putter... I have good distance feel but terrible technique....
Keep everything compact and wrist free ... head still.... look exactly at the ball where it was... no shoulder turning... sounds easy and it is... but requires discipline.

You will know as soon as you hit the putt if it is in.... but you will have to relearn pace... sometimes too hard sometimes too soft as your eyes now lose connection with the hole.... but if you practice.... then it does work... use the Rose technique... pick a spot right on the line 6 inches along...

I was a 40 average now down to around 32.5

Halebopp

HCP
Local club/country
Lakeside Golf Vammala, Finland
Irons
MP-H5/53/4
Driver
MP-650/ST180
If you like the Tech route find a coach who has a Sam PUTTLAB and knows how to use it. If you don't like tech Ken Brown's "One Putt" is worth a read, he even has a couple of pics of Luke in it.
I've been thinking about doing the Sam PuttLab several times over the years, just never got around to doing it. The nearest place is a couple of hours away and their business hours haven't fit my schedules when I've been around there and thought about doing it, or at other times it hasn't been on my mind. One of the problems with it would be using it on a putting mat though as your putting stroke is very different on the actual greens around here.

I was starting to like my C-02H but yesterday was a big setback with it. The greens at our club were absolutely perfect yesterday and some of the fastest I've ever seen there (slightly over ten feet). It was very difficult to control distance on longer putts with the C-02H, heavier putters definitely make putting easier on fast greens. On the other hand the lighter putter makes it easier to bury the makeable putts at a good pace with confidence.

Looking at the weights, it was interesting to find out the M Crafts are very close to the weights of the counter-balanced putters I've been looking at but it isn't marketed as one.

Putter Head Grip
Miz C-02H 345 54 34"

W/S Infinite 365 104 34" (counter-balanced)

Evnroll 2 355 90 35" (counter-balanced)

M Craft V 355 85 34"

There was a Mizuno demo day today but the weather didn't do it any favours as it was raining cats and dogs. Unfortunately the rep didn't have the three new putters or the ES wedges as the UPS is struggling to deliver them from Scotland. So no ES wedges or the new M Crafts, which was a shame as I was really looking to try the V on actual grass.

Anyhoo, my next step is to return the BC-4 back to 35", remove the weights and put a SNSR Contour grip on it, either the 124 or 90-gram one once they're back in stock at our club.

Steve Smith

Local club/country
Newcastle upon tyne
We are not tour players...

My honest belief is get a few lessons to get your best posture and set up... get the best shaft length and grip thickness that suits you. Get a head style to suit the arc or straight back of your stroke and that you like aesthetically... if possible have adjustible weights to compensate for green speed... but after that just stick with it and work on a repeating stroke...

Dont get too techical...

Just my VHO...

DennisMiller

HCP
Old Age
Local club/country
Killian Greens Golf Club
Irons
MX-1000
Driver
ST-180
It is very forgiving Den, more suitable for straight back and through than an arc swing...
But feel wise it is like pig iron... so use a soft ball... they are getting quite rare now..
After some minor conversation with one of my pro buddies, I'm trying a face balanced putter, a new Mizuno M-Craft model 3. I love the looks of it and the ball feels good off the face, but some physical issues will keep me from actually using it on the course until about mid June.

I know all the breaks on what little carpet is left in this house, so I'm a great putter until I get to the course.

Steve Smith

Local club/country
Newcastle upon tyne
After some minor conversation with one of my pro buddies, I'm trying a face balanced putter, a new Mizuno M-Craft model 3. I love the looks of it and the ball feels good off the face, but some physical issues will keep me from actually using it on the course until about mid June.

I know all the breaks on what little carpet is left in this house, so I'm a great putter until I get to the course.
Good call Den.... the M Craft range is superb... forged and milled from a single billet... ultimate feel... and Mizuno learned a lot about face balance/ toe hang etc from the Robert Bettinardi collaboration 15 years ago... the Draino was an interesting concept with bits of carbon fibre etc.. but ultimately a piece of pig iron... I always seem to go back to my trusty Bett C01 blade... 33 inch... thin Winn grip...honeycomb milled face 🥰🥰😎😎

Best of luck with the setup.... lofts and lies actually are important as well with putter setup.... even if it is only between 1 and 4 degrees

😎😎👍👍

Steve

DennisMiller

HCP
Old Age
Local club/country
Killian Greens Golf Club
Irons
MX-1000
Driver
ST-180
Best of luck with the setup.... lofts and lies actually are important as well with putter setup.... even if it is only between 1 and 4 degrees.Steve
So true. I'm still putting on the bedroom carpet, but I've been experimenting with left hand low. This putter is 34" and I've used a 35" putter for so long it's taking me a while to get used to it. I can't believe I actually feel the difference.

The left hand low is not comfortable, at least not yet, but I seem to notice the difference in the length less and I do still seem to hit the ball online. I'm still trying to see what feels best, (what kind of overlap or interlock), but I've invented some pretty strange grips over the past week I've had this thing. It really does feel good off the face.

Steve Smith

Local club/country
Newcastle upon tyne
So true. I'm still putting on the bedroom carpet, but I've been experimenting with left hand low. This putter is 34" and I've used a 35" putter for so long it's taking me a while to get used to it. I can't believe I actually feel the difference.

The left hand low is not comfortable, at least not yet, but I seem to notice the difference in the length less and I do still seem to hit the ball online. I'm still trying to see what feels best, (what kind of overlap or interlock), but I've invented some pretty strange grips over the past week I've had this thing. It really does feel good off the face.
Not a fan of the cack grip Den... you lose all feel and it is mechanical... unless you have catastrophic yip twitch I would say no... i have used a double overlap grip for years and it feels right.... little finger of the right hand on top of the second finger of the left... give it a try.... very light passive grip with the right hand also...

Not a fan of claw grips or great big fat putter grips.... its SHITE!

Just smooth... everything still... rock the shoulders... tempo.... job done mate

Steve Smith

Local club/country
Newcastle upon tyne
Not a fan of the cack grip Den... you lose all feel and it is mechanical... unless you have catastrophic yip twitch I would say no... i have used a double overlap grip for years and it feels right.... little finger of the right hand on top of the second finger of the left... give it a try.... very light passive grip with the right hand also...

Not a fan of claw grips or great big fat putter grips.... its SHITE!

Just smooth... everything still... rock the shoulders... tempo.... job done mate
Greens in the UK are generally getting better... a few years ago we had to guess about how many bobbles on a 25 foot putt. It was a joke and no way you could becone a good putter with that... it affected your technique your balance your judgement...everything....

Of course... those would say... hit it harder to compensate...then you would not get a bobble but an 8 footer coming back...

PaulBoy

HCP
WHS 7.0
Local club/country
Army GC Hampshire
Irons
Mizuno MP-20 MMC (4-AW) Modus3 105s
Driver
TM Stealth II MRC Tensei Orange 50s
Hi Steve ... I agree with your comment above about the "cack" grip (left below right for a right-handed swing) - As so many Pros were doing this I decided it must be best practice, but I really didn't like it at all - I just found it uncomfortable & harder to control - It could be because I am left-handed, so my strong side is the left one? - Also, I can putt pretty well using just my left hand, but I am hopeless putting with just my right hand ...
As to greens ... All those I have played on since end of lockdown in UK have been struggling due to lack of growth - Even courses with usually excellent greens, but in the last week even (with a bit of sun) my home greens have come on leaps & bounds - Just in time, as the English Senior Championships are there this week (co-hosted by Army GC & Blackmoor GC in Hampshire
Paul

DennisMiller

HCP
Old Age
Local club/country
Killian Greens Golf Club
Irons
MX-1000
Driver
ST-180
Yes, left hand low feels odd and I'm not taking it too seriously, but I'm kind of surprised I seem to putt reasonably well with it. Maybe I'm concentrating harder. I don't know.

A lot of courses here in Miami have come back in the past 2-3 months. When business was down due to the lockdown and slow when things started opening again, maintenance budgets were cut for lack of revenues.

Killian Greens, where I play most, will never be known for it's great condition, but the layout is so interesting that I find I have some peculiar affection for it. It's privately owned, but run like a public course. The new owner, since 2 years ago, has put a lot of money into improving the greens and fairways. Unfortunately, the tees and bunkers are not really built properly and tend to be inconsistent. All the same, the improvement on the greens is the main thing and it's brought a lot more people to his course.

Danny2247

HCP
Local club/country
Haddington, UK
Just listed a 9001 on eBay if you're still in the market. It's a lovely thing and should be in a collection somewhere.

Top Bottom