Hendo

HCP
Local club/country
Royal Dornoch
Irons
4-PW Mizuno JPX 850 Forged
Driver
Mizuno JPX EZ 2016 - Fujikara Orochi Stiff
In trying to help a member on the Mizuno FB site understand the composition of the Mizuno serial number, I went to Ebay to see if I could get an example of a current set as it seems that many more these days are custom sets as a result of a fitting. I came across a set of MP 20 MMC's but the serial number is a tad confusing. It suggests that this custom set was built at Cumbernauld on 11 September 2020 ?? Is this a possible error at the factory or are these most likely fakes? If the latter, its the first time I've seen the correct format of a serial number being used, albeit a touch early. Also the gap between the last number and the alpha character seems wider than anything I've got at home spanning MP5, MP-H5, MP18 MMC etc.

IMG_0859.jpeg

PaulBoy

HCP
WHS 7.0
Local club/country
Army GC
Irons
Mizuno Pro 223 (4-AW) Modus3 120s
Driver
Titleist TSi2 Graphite Design Tour AD XC-50s
I'd be inclined to think fake as well due to the date & the etching (including the gap to the C) - Incidentally, the C does not relate to Cumbernauld, but rather that a set is a Custom order (the alternative being an S which relates to a Stock order) - The other thing that is wrong with the head in the photo is the ferrule - The fit is not flush & you would never get a set from any of the Mizuno factories like that in my experience
Paul

seanmor

HCP
WHS 18.0
Local club/country
Caprington Golf Club Kilmarnock
Irons
MIZUNO JPX921HM irons 5-PW
Driver
ST-X 230 12.0 deg N.S.Pro 950 GH Neo R flex shaft
Hi Paul'

I would agree with you they do look a bit dodgy especially having a build date of 11th September 2020..! three months in the future,

I found the sale on fly-B bellow is the sellers description of the items

"I am selling my set of mizuno MP20 MMC irons with Nippon Modus 3 Tour 120s shafts, the clubs are only 4 months old
They play 3/4” over std length and 1 degree upright and have golf price tour velvets
The clubs originally had KBS $ taper shafts in them but I didn’t like those so I replaced them with the nippon shafts
The clubs are in excellent condition - a couple of the badges are marked as the clubs lay in boot of my car throughout lock down and the wedges were rubbing against them"

Brattz

HCP
Pro
Local club/country
Derby Golf Centre
Irons
Mizuno JPX 919 Tour (4-PW) - Project X LZ 6.5 120g - 0.5° Flat - 1/2"+
Driver
Titleist TS3 - HC Project X LZ17 6.5 60g, 9.5°, A1 - 11g
Fake

LOS

Local club/country
England
The build date is normally etched on the heads just after the loft and lie adjustments and before assembly. When you consider the number of people Mizuno would have handle these and then a final quality inspection before boxing up and dispatch it is highly unlikely a date error would have been missed.

Last edited:

PaulBoy

HCP
WHS 7.0
Local club/country
Army GC
Irons
Mizuno Pro 223 (4-AW) Modus3 120s
Driver
Titleist TSi2 Graphite Design Tour AD XC-50s
I went to look at the listing as per John's post above & they appear to have been sold (?) - The price was another clue that these were "Sextons" as they were £549 ono & that is way below the going rate for a set of these in my experience (?)
Paul

LOS

Local club/country
England
I went to look at the listing as per John's post above & they appear to have been sold (?) - The price was another clue that these were "Sextons" as they were £549 ono & that is way below the going rate for a set of these in my experience (?)
Paul
The Corona Virus situation has thrown a lot of pricing into the bin as some people are after cash to keep afloat. The irons link for Golfclubs4cash, I have bought from them a few times, offered a 20% discount which would put them at about the same price. Golf bidder has had a clearout over the last few months and is down to only 38 sets of Mizuno irons from 200 and the MP20 MMC's are in £900 price range for 4-PW.

seanmor

HCP
WHS 18.0
Local club/country
Caprington Golf Club Kilmarnock
Irons
MIZUNO JPX921HM irons 5-PW
Driver
ST-X 230 12.0 deg N.S.Pro 950 GH Neo R flex shaft
Paul
Hi Paul,

They were sold for a best offer price but I'm not able to see how much that was,

Here is a photo of the irons that were for sale according to the description they were only 4 months old..?

s-l1600.jpg MP20 MMC_01.JPG

Top Bottom